Group: All Else Lounge

Created: 2011/12/31, Members: 42, Messages: 22740

This is the place you can discuss anything else that is on your mind that isn't already covered by other groups. Share what's on your mind and see who else has something to say about it!

Join group

I joined a new gym, now I'm sad. :(

amyksmith76
amyksmith76
United States
2008/04/14, 02:43 PM
In my little town there is one little gym, Anytime Fitness. Nothing wrong with this LITTLE gym, but there isn't much equipment there. So, even though my membership isn't up until October, I signed up for the YMCA in the next town over. This was mainly so that I could swim laps, as an ex-swim teamer, I really missed the laps for exercise. They also have a bunch of fun classes when I get bored, and a lot more family activities for my boys. Do I sound like an ad yet?
So, the BUT is that the weight room is awful! I mean there are a lot of weights there, but there are basically two floors in the weight room. The lower level around the outside is all machines. Then there is this platform thing in the middle where all of the free weights are. I don't want to sound sexist or anything, but I've YET to see a woman up on the platform! It's always just men, and they are the big obnoxious types. You know the ones, who don't just set down the weights, but toss them across the room when they are done with a set as they yell out a loud "ARGH!!!!". And then they sweat on everything and never ONCE clean up the bench they were on, and they grunt and growl and cuss. I kid you not, there is one guy there with a bad case of roid-rage I swear. He's fully stacked up with full weight belt gear and braces on every joint, and little wrist warmer things. He's not very big though. Everytime he lifts up the bar to lift he grunts out "mutha f****" then tosses the weights when he's done and shakes his head and showers the floor with sweat and gross. I actually laughed out loud once on accident when he did this as I was walking by. When he gave me a dirty look I pointed to my headset (that wasn't turned on) and said "I'm listening to Jeff Foxworthy, ha ha ha!" oops!!!
So, I'm completely off the topic. Anyway. You are probably going to say "Why are you paying attention to them and not just working out?" Well, it's not that I'm just standing in a corner with binoculars spying on these guys or anything, it's just hard not to notice. So, one day I felt gutsy and made my way into what felt like a showing of "Gorillas in the Mist" to work out. I went to pick up a dumbell to put between my feet to do vertical crunches (this contraption is also on the platform) and you would have thought that I stole their cars or something!
So, do I just ignore these dorks? It's always the same group of 5-10 guys who are trying to out-manly each other and it's kind of scarey for a little gal such as myself wanting to go use the free weights. Their dirty looks don't make me feel very welcome. Maybe I should stop laughing at them, that may stop some of the dirty looks. anyway, at the same time I don't want to be stuck on the floor doing machine after machine. *sigh*. Being fit is rough y'all.
Carivan
Carivan
Canada
2008/04/14, 06:26 PM
Maybe pretend your a beginner and ask for help, they might become your best ever gym buddies!

I know what you are going through, these guys (I call them cartoon characters)are everywhere. Especially in the big cities like here.

--------------
Patience, persistence and perspiration make an unbeatable combination for success.

Ivan (GO HABS GO!)

Montreal Canada (City of Festivals)
amyksmith
amyksmith
United States
2008/04/14, 07:22 PM
I like the beginner idea. I could also try stuffing my sports bra and wear spandex "Um, scuse me guys? I'm just a girl and not very strong, or smart, hee hee hee. Could one of you show me what I'm supposed to do with this silver thingy with the black thing-a-ma-bobs on the end?" lol
Cartoon characters is a good term for them.
amyksmith
amyksmith
United States
2008/04/14, 07:23 PM
Now what the heck did I do? I must have logged in wrong. I've been downgraded to novice status. It was my "silver thingy" comment. Wasn't it. Darn.
yadmit
yadmit
Canada
2008/04/14, 07:28 PM
You're missing the "76"

--------------
I see the words you are typing, but all I read is *click*click*click*

Fat loss isn?t under the control of the magic fat loss fairies. - Alwyn Cosgrove
Carivan
Carivan
Canada
2008/04/14, 09:49 PM
Your pic is gone too! Must be the FT ghost.

--------------
Patience, persistence and perspiration make an unbeatable combination for success.

Ivan (GO HABS GO!)

Montreal Canada (City of Festivals)
asimmer
asimmer
United States
2008/04/15, 08:43 AM
AMY - at the Y it should definitely be a more comfortable atmosphere than that. I would start by talking to the management about the 'intimidating' atmosphere as well as the swearing.

geesh at the Y's here you can practically get in trouble just for lifting heavy weight, lol.

Second - wade right in and lift - fuck them.

--------------
Argue for your limitations, and sure enough, they\'re yours.
Richard Bach

wrestler125
wrestler125
United States
2008/04/15, 08:50 AM
============
Quoting from amyksmith76:

It's always just men, and they are the big obnoxious types. You know the ones, who don't just set down the weights, but toss them across the room when they are done with a set as they yell out a loud "ARGH!!!!". And then they sweat on everything and never ONCE clean up the bench they were on, and they grunt and growl and cuss. I kid you not, there is one guy there with a bad case of roid-rage I swear. He's fully stacked up with full weight belt gear and braces on every joint, and little wrist warmer things. He's not very big though. Everytime he lifts up the bar to lift he grunts out "mutha f****" then tosses the weights when he's done and shakes his head and showers the floor with sweat and gross.
=============

You could have just asked me to work in...
amyksmith76
amyksmith76
United States
2008/04/15, 01:08 PM
Amy, I read your post and at first glance thought you said that I should tell them about the atmosphere as well as the sweating. lol. I was thinking, "Yeah, it's gross, but I don't know that the Y can control that". lol.
I like you advice, Fuck em.

Steve, LOL
asimmer
asimmer
United States
2008/04/15, 01:54 PM
You can tell them about the sweating, too, lol. But I think you are right - not much they can do but place reminders around about wiping down equipment.... bring a big towel with you and label one side of it "Bench side" and the other "face side" so you always put the same side down towards the equipment.

I think bringing a towel is an especially good idea since MHRSA (did I add an extra letter?) can live on surfaces and be transmitted, as well some types of herpes...ewww and fungi....I am grossing myself out, blech. Always wash your hands with pure alcohol right after training , and maybe bring a flamethrower to the gym once a week to clean up the equipment...:surprised:

--------------
Argue for your limitations, and sure enough, they\'re yours.
Richard Bach

amyksmith76
amyksmith76
United States
2008/04/15, 02:00 PM
lol. Honestly, at my little gym everyone seems to be good about cleaning the equipment. They provide little towels and a bottle of spray to everyone that comes in. It makes it easy to just carry it around with you.
But at the Y it just doesn't seem like anyone cares to clean anything. Gross. And I definately don't want the herpes.