Group: Experienced Exercise

Created: 2012/01/01, Members: 50, Messages: 19484

For intermediate and advanced individuals. Share and learn how to take your fitness to the next level!

Join group

Stubborn fat

send2archan
send2archan
United Kingdom
2008/04/12, 07:24 AM
I am trying to get rid of some body fat and tone my abs. I am doing regular weight training too.I have noticed that my body has responded well to the training routine which I follow.However getting rid of the stubborn fat around my waist line is getting quite a difficult task.

Should I focus more on cardio workout? Or should I concentrate more on a good abs programme? I know about the myth of spot reduction. How do I get a good cardio workout using weights? Pls help
asimmer
asimmer
United States
2008/04/12, 09:33 AM
Concentrate on your eating plan.

--------------
Argue for your limitations, and sure enough, they\'re yours.
Richard Bach

yessicarathsak
yessicarathsak
United States
2008/04/12, 09:39 AM
Losing stomach fat requires a good diet. While ab exercises will strengthen your muscles, they will not really do anything for losing the fat around them.

If you want a good cardio workout with weights, start doing supersets. Right now I'm doing 3 sets of 12-15 reps for 3 exercises per body part. (arms/back, legs, and abs) Do all three sets in a group without resting, and then rest for about 30 seconds before moving on to the next superset.
bb1fit
bb1fit
United States
2008/04/12, 11:20 AM
Smart lady. :big_smile:

============
Quoting from asimmer:

Concentrate on your eating plan.

=============

--------------
Baseball is the only field of endeavor where a man can succeed three times out of ten and be considered a good performer

send2archan
send2archan
United Kingdom
2008/04/12, 01:15 PM
Supersets seems to be a good idea.Will definitely try it the next time.

Asimmer you are right that I need to get into a good diet plan too.I have seen a couple of diet plans posted on this website whichI have kind of put into my diet plan. I have seen several postings about CUTTING where I have got some idea about a good diet plan. But just wondering that whether there is any posting on CUTTING which shows a good exercise progrmamme too?
asimmer
asimmer
United States
2008/04/13, 01:10 PM
Your goal is to maintain your mass while losing fat. You could add in a little HIIT after lifting , but you don't want to reduce the intensity of lifting or reduce your calories too drastically.

You don't get a cardio work out using weights, at least it isn't recommended. Walk and run intervals if you don't have access to any cardio equipment.

What is your current lifting routine?

--------------
Richard Bach

send2archan
send2archan
United Kingdom
2008/04/13, 02:08 PM
hey simmer, sorry abt this but I am kind of new to all these technical stuffs.I have been doing strength training for quite some time but not quite acquainted with many technical knowledge. Thats one of the major reasons I subscribed to FT pro so that I can get a good understanding and a good training programme.

You are right abt my training goal.I do wanna lose the fat and keep the mass.

I generally start with a jog but here the probs is that I develop sheen splins after around 10-15 min. Thats why I was aksing if I can do a good cardio with weights. Anyways as an alternative I either do the elliptical machine or the exercise bikes for 20-25 min.

I generally do all my parts once a week.To be honest I dont concentrate much on heavy lifts.Rather I focus more on good concentration and a proper squeeze of the specific muscle. I go for a good feel rather than just weight. I try to keep a decent reps of around 8-10. Also another thing is that I tend to do supersets like a bench with flyes or maybe military press with lat dumbell raise. I keep minimum rest periods and train almost to failure.so after around 3 sets my muscles are quite fatigued and worked up.

General routine:

Mon- Cardio for 25 min
Chest
Abs

Tue- Cardio for 25 min
Arms

Thu- Cardio and Shoulders
Fri- Back and Legs
Abs

Thi is generally what I used to follow.But from the end of this month I will be following the FT routine that has been provided.I am sure the new programme will be of good help.

Please advice.I am seriously looking for some good advice.
asimmer
asimmer
United States
2008/04/14, 08:08 AM
Look up HIIT and implement it for cardio. Do your cardio after lifting, not before. Add in cardio on your off days, either HIIT on the elliptical or a longer bike ride.

I think the routine from FT will be a good change.

And, again, you could work out all day long, but if your nutrition doesn't back it up you will not get optimal results, so the biggest factor is going to be your meal plan.

--------------
Richard Bach

send2archan
send2archan
United Kingdom
2008/04/14, 08:38 AM
You are so right simmer. Diet is so important if you want to achieve your goals faster. I have pretty hectic working hours and do sometimes have problems with a good diet but I atleast do make a good effort to avoid any sort of junk or fastfoods. I checked the nutritional tracker and I think my diet is lacking some carbs. Any suggestions how I could get some good carbs WITH LEAST HASSLE IN THE KITCHEN? Also I will do a google on HIIT and find out something for my cardio workout. Is there some good advice on FT that you are aware of though? Thanks a lot for all your advices, really appreciate it.

============
Quoting from asimmer:

Look up HIIT and implement it for cardio. Do your cardio after lifting, not before. Add in cardio on your off days, either HIIT on the elliptical or a longer bike ride.

I think the routine from FT will be a good change.

And, again, you could work out all day long, but if your nutrition doesn't back it up you will not get optimal results, so the biggest factor is going to be your meal plan.

=============
asimmer
asimmer
United States
2008/04/15, 09:28 AM
Try to do this on your day off:

Cook a big pot of brown rice, divide into containers

Cook a big pot of oatmeal, divide into containers

Grill or bake or poach a bunch of chicken breasts and fish, stock up on cans of tuna in water or tuna pouches

Divide the cooked chicken/fish up into the caontainers of rice.

Cut up a bunch of broccoli, divide up into containers of rice/chicken. Now at work you can sprinkle a little water on the top of the broccoli and microwave the whole conatiner for a few minutes and you have ahealthy meal - i used to carry soy sauce to sprinkle on top for flavor, drink plenty of water to counteract the sodium.

The oatmeal will become sort of solid - easy to eat on the run, add a protein shake and you have a quick breakfast. I add cinnamon and splenda to my oatmeal.

preparing food ahead of the time is the name of the game when you are trying to achieve physique goals, there is no negotiating around the nutrition aspect. It will make or break you.

--------------
Richard Bach

Carivan
Carivan
Canada
2008/04/15, 01:17 PM
Amy , can I hire you as a Nanny??? Your so good at that food prep.

--------------
Patience, persistence and perspiration make an unbeatable combination for success.

Ivan (GO HABS GO!)

Montreal Canada (City of Festivals)
asimmer
asimmer
United States
2008/04/15, 01:59 PM
Sure, Ivan!

By the way, in between posting today I managed to bake a family pack of chicken breasts, made Not-your-mother's-meatloaf, and made some Breakfast "cookies" for my daughter - you can get sooo much done in one day!!!

Sendarchan2 - check out the recipe threads - the Not-your-mother's meatloaf is one of my favorite easy recipes and you make it in muffin tins so you can bag and freeze the individual portions, then they reheat very quickly in the microwave! I think it is in the Pro-forum challenge recipe thread.

--------------
Richard Bach

send2archan
send2archan
United Kingdom
2008/04/16, 05:31 AM
wow will surely chek it soon.Thanks
SFGiantsMVP
SFGiantsMVP
United States
2008/04/16, 05:36 PM
To add to all of this make sure you are not confusing Fat with water retention as most do and think they need to do drastic things to lose fat when indeed most of it is water!

As for me I'm carb sensitive so when I go to long with eating carbs I retain and when I cut down carbs but add more fats to keep my calories the same I look better!

This is knowing where your limit of carbs is and this is only if your looking to show a defined stomach.

A defined stomach doesn't mean six pack ab it means seeing the outline of your abs which is fine for most!

One can tell if we are dealing with a retention issue be pitching the area and if your pretty much pinch through it's water as fat you can feel as it is much harder!

I hope I made sense but for me it was a lesson hard learned as I kept changing calories losing size and strenght trying to look better thinking I was getting fat when it was retention.

You don't get fat that fast let alone lose it fast and water retention will come at you fast!

Now if I made a complete ass of myself with this post BB1fit, asimmer and carivan will correct me!

--------------
Knock-Um Down & Keep-Um Down!
send2archan
send2archan
United Kingdom
2008/04/17, 04:44 AM
You do have the right to make ur own comments so dont worry abt it at all. I have actually seen many people losing water instead of fat and thinking that they have lost a lot of fat. For few the change is so drastic I mean within a week you see a hell lot of difference. As far as my understanding goes fat burning is kind of slow and steady process. So I guess those people actually r losing water and not fat.

I was quite into exercise in college but then there was a big gap of around 3 years. I ate rubbish food, no exercise in short no discipline whatsoever. This was when I added few extra pounds and lost the shape. I have again hit the gym now. Been training hard for over 4-5 months now. So the changes I see now does makes me feel that I am losing fat and not water because the change has been slow.

As for the diet, simmer has adviced me to cut down on calories to around 2250 gms but fat to 51gms. I was actually consuming much less fat that this prescribed amount. I think the aim is to consume less carbs and get the calories from fat as u mentioned. I will give this diet and see how its affecting my body.

Do share your experiences on FT. Its a wonderful platform. Cheers!!!

============
Quoting from SFGiantsMVP:

To add to all of this make sure you are not confusing Fat with water retention as most do and think they need to do drastic things to lose fat when indeed most of it is water!

As for me I'm carb sensitive so when I go to long with eating carbs I retain and when I cut down carbs but add more fats to keep my calories the same I look better!

This is knowing where your limit of carbs is and this is only if your looking to show a defined stomach.

A defined stomach doesn't mean six pack ab it means seeing the outline of your abs which is fine for most!

One can tell if we are dealing with a retention issue be pitching the area and if your pretty much pinch through it's water as fat you can feel as it is much harder!

I hope I made sense but for me it was a lesson hard learned as I kept changing calories losing size and strenght trying to look better thinking I was getting fat when it was retention.

You don't get fat that fast let alone lose it fast and water retention will come at you fast!

Now if I made a complete ass of myself with this post BB1fit, asimmer and carivan will correct me!

=============
send2archan
send2archan
United Kingdom
2008/04/17, 04:46 AM
You do have the right to make ur own comments so dont worry abt it at all. I have actually seen many people losing water instead of fat and thinking that they have lost a lot of fat. For few the change is so drastic I mean within a week you see a hell lot of difference. As far as my understanding goes fat burning is kind of slow and steady process. So I guess those people actually r losing water and not fat.

I was quite into exercise in college but then there was a big gap of around 3 years. I ate rubbish food, no exercise in short no discipline whatsoever. This was when I added few extra pounds and lost the shape. I have again hit the gym now. Been training hard for over 4-5 months now. So the changes I see now does makes me feel that I am losing fat and not water because the change has been slow.

As for the diet, simmer has adviced me to cut down on calories to around 2250 gms but fat to 51gms. I was actually consuming much less fat that this prescribed amount. I think the aim is to consume less carbs and get the calories from fat as u mentioned. I will give this diet and see how its affecting my body.

Do share your experiences on FT. Its a wonderful platform. Cheers!!!

============
Quoting from SFGiantsMVP:

=============
SFGiantsMVP
SFGiantsMVP
United States
2008/04/17, 06:06 PM
My point exactly as I'm that guy that within 1 week can look a hell lot better just by adjusting Carbs and Fats because I'm Carb sensitive but this by all means doesn't mean to cut carbs to low.

For me it's better to have more fruit during the day and save the other stuff for night like Brown Rice and such!

--------------
Knock-Um Down & Keep-Um Down!