Group: Beginners to Exercise

Created: 2012/01/01, Members: 969, Messages: 18927

Share and offer advice to beginners to the fitness world!

Join group

How long should i be working out for???

Mikeymic
Mikeymic
United States
2008/01/29, 04:46 PM
I work out in my basement of my home. I start out running in place,jumping jacks, ect to warm up my heart rate and i also stretch, takes about 5-10mins. Then i start on my lifting, i work out 2 muscles with each work out, usually 3 different excercises and doing 3 sets per muscle. Then i finish my workout up with abs. But i can never seem to do a full hour workout which i heard is supposed to be the normal. My workouts are anywhere from 40mins to 45mins everytime. Im not rushing or anything and i feel like im getting a good workout, but should i be doing more or something??? Do people that go to a gym spend alot of time changing the weights around or setting up different equipment.. while my basement has everything right in 1 area and ready to go, could that be cutting down my time??
asimmer
asimmer
United States
2008/01/30, 09:40 AM
45 minutes is plenty - anything over an hour (and some people even say an hour is too long) and your body starts going catabolic instead of anabolic.

Your workouts sound good, keep it up and you should see results.
jdfarris
jdfarris
United States
2008/02/11, 10:45 AM
I've recently started going to the gym with a friend that works out constantly. She has me on a 4 day workout plan, targeting specific areas each day. and then 30 minutes on the treadmill afterwards. She tells me that we cannot make any progress unless we work out for at least 2 hours each time and then do cardio after. This seems like a lot. And, she is already telling me I need to up the weight I'm using. I am lifting all the weight I am comfortable with and I know if I lift more it will bee too much of a strain. Depending on the exercise - with dead weights I lift between 5 to 10 lbs. On the machines it may be anything from 20 to 50. I think this is enough for now. Am I wrong, or is she pushing too much?
jdfarris
jdfarris
United States
2008/02/11, 11:36 AM
I guess I should have been more specific - new to this, so please forgive.
I didn't mention that I am 59 years old, female, and have been very inactive for several years. Did manage to lose 20 lbs and keep it off for the last 3 years. However, I need to lose at least another 10 - 15 would be perfect, and tone up. Everything is pretty untoned, to put it nicely.
I want to do this, I just want to be sure I'm doing it right and not overdoing so that I strain something before I get any results. I don't want to look like a weight lifter, I just want to firm up and lose some pounds.
Thanks to anyone that can offer advice and suggestions.
wrestler125
wrestler125
United States
2008/02/11, 04:10 PM
Refer back to what asimmer posted right before you.

And working out isn't meant to be easy. If it was, everyone would do it.

--------------
SQUAT MORE ~Jesse Marunde

Blood Guts Sweat Chalk
jdfarris
jdfarris
United States
2008/02/11, 04:36 PM
We are doing a pretty intense routine - 2 hours of constant lifting, pulling and pushing is a lot of work for someone who hasn't done anything for several years - and I'm getting it done. But now I am reading that an hour is enough as long as it's done right and with enough weight to make the muscles work. I'm not trying to wimp out - I'm committed to getting stronger and better - I just want to be sure I'm doing the right things and not defeating the purpose.
I don't really understand the catabolic and anabolic stuff.
Can you explain, please?
And, I like the squats and lunges - those I do every day.
wrestler125
wrestler125
United States
2008/02/11, 10:16 PM
Simplified, you can think of catabolic and anabolic as states. Anabolic means a state where you are more likely to burn fat and build muscle, whereas catabolic is more likely to do the opposite... burn muscle away and try to hold onto fat.

What amy was trying to get at is at 45 minutes, the anabolic hormones (the good ones) tend to reach a peak in production. At about 1 hour, the catabolic ones tend to peak, overtaking the production of GH and other hormones.

Also, after an hour, motivation and nervous system output (muscle power) tend to decrease.

As you can see, working out for more than an hour, while not necessarily detrimental, is definately not optimal. If you can get everything in under an hour, that is what I would aim for.

As for training everyday, I personally think it is a terrible idea. After doing research in a class I have been taking, I'm about to make a post about it in the powerlifting forum.

--------------
SQUAT MORE ~Jesse Marunde

Blood Guts Sweat Chalk
jdfarris
jdfarris
United States
2008/02/13, 07:27 AM
Thanks so much for the info - that really helps me understand what's going on.
I've been at this for about 6 weeks now and haven't seen any changes(weight or definition) other than it has gotten easier to lift the weights, so I wonder if that has anything to do with the 2 -2 1/2 hour workouts defeating the purpose.
I know that when that first hour hits I feel like I've had enough and need to quit, but because my friend is pushing me to keep going and telling me that an hour isn't enough time, I hang in there. I think I'll pass your information on to her.
I want results and I want to do it right! Thanks again!
asimmer
asimmer
United States
2008/02/13, 09:23 AM
jdfarris -

two hours lifting is too long.

You may be failing to see change also if you have failed to change your eating habits - all the exercise in the world won't make up for poor nutrition.
That said, it also takes time, especially for women. Keep working out, clean up your diet, results will come.

--------------
Accept your limitations and they are yours.

jdfarris
jdfarris
United States
2008/02/13, 09:39 AM
thanks. And I really have changed my diet in the last few years - BIG changes - and I lost 20 lbs and have kept that off. Hit the plateau and haven't got past it, but now that I am "moving" I hope it will go away.
I eat healthier foods and portions and only indulge for special occasions and am careful not to go overboard.
I thank all of you for your advice and help.
I'll make it yet!
smitherzzz
smitherzzz
Canada
2008/02/18, 06:03 PM
Another few questions to clear things up. It's said here 45min-1hr per day. Now is that per muscle group? or is that everything combined? Example: If I'm doing a workout thats chest, calves and triceps, and i do triceps last around the 45 minute mark. Does that mean that my full body is in the catabolic state? or just the muscle groups that I worked out?

AND..... Is there supplements that hold off catabolism?
2008/02/18, 08:21 PM
If you are spending that much time on any muscle group you are either over training and or wasting your time. You do not need a supplement, you need a new work out.

============
Quoting from smitherzzz:

Another few questions to clear things up. It's said here 45min-1hr per day. Now is that per muscle group? or is that everything combined? Example: If I'm doing a workout thats chest, calves and triceps, and i do triceps last around the 45 minute mark. Does that mean that my full body is in the catabolic state? or just the muscle groups that I worked out?

AND..... Is there supplements that hold off catabolism?
=============
smitherzzz
smitherzzz
Canada
2008/02/18, 09:26 PM
Sorry I was speaking german again. I was asking for people on here that are new to this. Not me. I wanted someone here, more or less, to explain catabolism. It's nothing that has been a problem for me at all, ever. And I asked about the supplement 'cause I know there's people that are into that. Anyone else?
asimmer
asimmer
United States
2008/02/19, 08:55 AM
Catabolism is a whole body state - your body can handle a certain amount of stress/exercise. After a certain amount of time under duress, it will go from being beneficial (anabolic or muscle building) to detrimental (catabolic or muscle scavenging). This may vary slightly person to person, but an hour is probably the norm. This doesn't mean you can work your chest ofr one hour and switch to triceps for the next hour - it is your whole system being overworked. Nervous system, muscualr system, energy system, everything.

Doing a seperate session of cardio later in the day would be acceptable, once you have replenished your muscles post workout and rested for a while. Doing cardio on alternate days is even more beneficial.

You have to keep in mind, when you read marathon workout plans or two-times a day lifting routines that the people putting forth these plans are quite often on steroids, which speed recovery time and allow you to do a lot of things that are hazardous to unsupplemented athletes (it also opens you up to more injury because your muscles grow faster than your tendon/ligament structures can strengthen, hence the higher incidence of muscle attachents tear and such....anyhow, getting derailed).

I hope I have answered your question...in lifting it really is true that quite often less is more.

--------------
Argue your limitations and they are yours.

2008/03/28, 12:25 AM
First off... a body part isolation routine for someone of your background is not the best way to go about things. Most likely a person with your background would be better suited for full body workouts three times a week along with some kind of cardio.

2ndly 2 hours of weights is not a very good idea. If you are lifting properly you should be spent within 45 mins... esspecially if you have been inactive for a very long time. With the routine u are doing now u will fall into the trap of over trianing and most likely get overtrianing type injuries ( tendinitis, general soreness, joint pain ect.)

3rdly developing balance and coordination, core strength and stability, and fixing any muscle imbalances would be number one on my list of someone who has been inactive for many years and is just getting active now after a long hiatus. This ensures u have a stable base of support and builds a great foundation for u to build off of.

I highly recommend that individuals who are in your age range and have a limited activity level talk with and are analyzed by a fitness professional and do not try to do it on their own. There are often problems that can be seein by a fitness professional through assessments that may not even be seen by u. so id suggest doing that to start with a good base and once u gain some more knowledge yourself you can then take it upon yourself to create routines that are good for you.