Group: Strength & Powerlifting

Created: 2012/01/01, Members: 38, Messages: 16459

Discuss the topic of Power lifting, Strength training and Strong Man training!

Join group

a BIG step for me....in just one hour...

bigandrew
bigandrew
United States
2007/12/15, 01:05 PM
I've come to the conclusion that while I do appreciate everyones help on the net....i'm still missing alot. Only so much I can do and learn reading and watching youtube....

So I have saught(sp) out help...and I have found it 17.5 miles up the road! I have been invited to train with him few days a week at 5am...but as I found out and he told me....i'm the smallest person there lol So while my 510lb dquat may hold up at my gym...not any more...

Today was my 1st "help session" Basicly for an hour he just looked at what I do..and he showed me a better way. We did bench 1st....since that is where I need help at most..

I discovered:
The bar wasn't low enough on mychest/stomach...I had for the past year or more...been touching right where the ribs stop...I need to be about 1-2 lower. My elbows where good he said for the most part.I also needed to widen my grip, cut down on ROM. However I'm not staying tight enough...the bar is sinking into me. So I need to work on that. He asked me what my bench bench was I said 335...so Of coarse he had me try 340 lol with my new grip and bar path...I got it about half way..and bar drifted toward the rack. He told me I have way more than 340 in me...I just need to relearn, stay tight, use more lats and leg drive.

Squats where next, After a few reps with the bar(I used my 1st monolift today!) He said I'm leaning forward. That I really shouldn't use wrestling shoes to squat in...a slight heal would help with that. he would like me to widen my stance out some...which he had me do today...nto sure if I had proper depth or not...but my hips are piss weak anyways.

A small dl session to see how my pull looked..I told him I learned to pull sumo...but later switched to conventional. He said I'm definatly a conventional puller.

I think alot of my technique issue's where due to nerviousness, new environment etc. I usualy don't lean that far forward when I squat so I dunno. bench I knew I had bad technique.

Amazing what you can learn in one hour huh?

--------------
\\"The eight laws of learning are explanation, demonstration, imitation, repetition, repetition, repetition, repetition, and repetition\\"

arondaballer
arondaballer
United States
2007/12/15, 01:32 PM
That is good stuff Andrew. I just wish I had a good training partner!

The strength coaches at UT suck. haha

--------------
I firmly believe that any man's finest hour, the greatest fulfillment of all that he holds dear, is the moment when he has worked his heart out in a good cause and lies exhausted on the field of battle-victorious.
--Vince Lombardi
"Decide what you want, decide what you are willing to exchange for it. Establish your priorities and go to work." H. L. Hunt

bigandrew
bigandrew
United States
2007/12/15, 04:43 PM
I'll have several..all stronger than me lol

--------------
\\"The eight laws of learning are explanation, demonstration, imitation, repetition, repetition, repetition, repetition, and repetition\\"

bigandrew
bigandrew
United States
2007/12/15, 04:44 PM
guys son at 17 had a 1900 total...3 of his lifters already are elite at their weight class

--------------

merrillj
merrillj
United States
2007/12/16, 02:57 AM
Interesting about the shoes. I always thought that you were supposed to wear flat shoes. I hear alot of references to Chuck Taylors in Powerlifting discussions because they are flat and flat shoes are supposed to prevent you from tipping forward.
I am also still learning how to use leg drive during the bench press. The way I understand it is when you are in the bottom position leg drive will help emphasize your arch and drive the weight off of your chest. Also by flexing the legs you cause more tension in the body. Is the goal of lowering 1-2 inches below the rib cage to keep your forearms vertical at the bottom? This would probably help keep the elbows from flaring.
bigandrew
bigandrew
United States
2007/12/16, 10:01 AM
Well I was leaning foward at the time...Which in my warmup sets I do lean over a lil bit...gues cause my hips wheren't warmed up....i'm not freting about that too much. Alot of his squatting wear a weightlifting(o style) shoe...who close stance squat...like me. Makes it a lil easier to hit depth as well.

--------------

wrestler125
wrestler125
United States
2007/12/16, 12:13 PM
A lot of the guys in USAPL wear Oly shoes, because they squat with closer stances since they have to squat deeper.

You are supposed to wear shoes without give, not without a heal, but most of the time these 2 go hand in hand. Oly shoes have a wood heal, no give, they feel amazing, but I don't do any back squatting in them.

--------------
SQUAT MORE ~Jesse Marunde

Blood Guts Sweat Chalk
bigandrew
bigandrew
United States
2007/12/16, 01:06 PM
HE sugested a good workboot...with a slight heal if I didn't have the cash for those oly shoes....Although I really like my wrestling shoes.

You have any good/other suggestions steve?

--------------

wrestler125
wrestler125
United States
2007/12/16, 04:11 PM
If he thinks a heel will help, chances are stretching the shit outta your calves might help. A heel reduces the amount of ankle flexibility needed (among other things) so if you want to keep the wrestling shoes, start stretching your calves in both a standing and seated position daily.

--------------
SQUAT MORE ~Jesse Marunde

Blood Guts Sweat Chalk
arondaballer
arondaballer
United States
2007/12/16, 05:33 PM
Would Nike Frees be a good choice in this case or no? I like squatting in them. Maybe?

--------------
I firmly believe that any man's finest hour, the greatest fulfillment of all that he holds dear, is the moment when he has worked his heart out in a good cause and lies exhausted on the field of battle-victorious.
--Vince Lombardi
"Decide what you want, decide what you are willing to exchange for it. Establish your priorities and go to work." H. L. Hunt

gatormade
gatormade
United States
2007/12/17, 11:25 PM
I squat in Chucks.
coolnatedawg
coolnatedawg
United States
2007/12/18, 12:48 AM
me 2... they have skulls on the side so everyone knows im badass
bigandrew
bigandrew
United States
2007/12/18, 03:05 PM
I guess because I use a close stance...and I was leaning forward that day alot...he just said it was the shoes fault.

I like my sock like wrestling shoes lol

--------------