Group: Injuries & Rehabilitation

Created: 2012/01/01, Members: 54, Messages: 4465

Dealing with injuries and learning how to avoid them is extremely important!

Join group

Knee injury. HELP!

matilda31
matilda31
United States
2007/12/03, 06:10 PM
So was playing football witht he boys and had one of them land on my knee. Tore my bilateral ligimate in half and my posterior almost in half. Plus they put a srew in my patella. Had surgery and did some rehab, but was not able to do all that I needed due to insurance coverage. I use to run and my quads were my strongest feature. But with the injury, I was not able to anymore. The weight started packing on with the frustration. Now I have alot of extra weight and CAN'T run. I feel the strain on my feet and knee from my weight even though I don't look that large. Any ideas on how to try and over come this. The only thing that I can do is the bike,not the bycicle type, the other one, where your legs are out in frotn. Can't remember the name of it. Even then it has to be done at a medium pace. Any ideas would help. I have started the diet today. That part I am doing. HELP!
returnofplex
returnofplex
United States
2007/12/05, 03:44 PM
The diet will definitely help on the weight loss side of the equation. I'm no doctor, but it seems to me that if you're totally healed from the injury, that you should be able to strengthen the muscles around the tendons. I've had chronic knee problems since my early teens, and never did well at jogging or biking. But I sucked it up, and began very slowly strengthening my legs. I still cant do squats with the other monsters in my gym, but I have virtually no knee pain when doing my usual jogging and running.
For what it's worth, I just started with really light leg extensions, and hamstring curls.
Maybe you should send wrestler125 a PM, he's not the most sensitive guy around, but is REALLY knowledgeable about injury rehab.
AnitaLaMorenita
AnitaLaMorenita
United States
2007/12/30, 12:56 AM
I hurt my knee playing basketball, i tore my acl and meniscus, i had surgery the end of july of this yr. I want to dunk, yea i know i'm 5'5, everyone says i'm a girl, I'm too short to dunk but i believe that if i have my mind set to dunking i will be able to dunk. The doctor gave me some exercises to do to strengthen my leg, but i also need some other exercises to jump higher. I bought a jump rope and have been working on single leg jumping (mostly to strengthen the leg i had surgery on)
wrestler125
wrestler125
United States
2007/12/30, 01:17 AM
I'd recommend things like single leg hyperextensions and single leg straight leg deadlifts. Strengthen your hamstrings as much as possible and focus on unilateral movements (including quad dominant unilateral exercises like lunges and step ups).

It also might be worth reading this...
http://www.freetrainers.com/FT/jsp/pro/Message.jsp?f_ix=6&t_ix=904

It's the ACL thread a few threads down.

--------------
SQUAT MORE ~Jesse Marunde

Blood Guts Sweat Chalk
AnitaLaMorenita
AnitaLaMorenita
United States
2008/01/01, 04:17 PM
thanks for the msg Jesse
wrestler125
wrestler125
United States
2008/01/01, 04:40 PM
My name is actually Steve, the late Jesse Marunde was a strongman competitor who was one of the best in the world. He was a good friend who passed away this summer. His mantra of "squat more" is something I hold very close to me.

--------------
SQUAT MORE ~Jesse Marunde

Blood Guts Sweat Chalk
AnitaLaMorenita
AnitaLaMorenita
United States
2008/01/02, 05:42 PM
o ok, thanks Steve. Yea i really need to start getting my knee (leg) stronger

--------------
~Anita~ ¡es año nuevo! I\'m here to accomplish my goals this year!