Group: All Else Lounge

Created: 2011/12/31, Members: 42, Messages: 22740

This is the place you can discuss anything else that is on your mind that isn't already covered by other groups. Share what's on your mind and see who else has something to say about it!

Join group

Any ACSM certified trainers?

2007/10/07, 04:05 PM
I'm studying for the ACSM personal trainer exam right now, and I was hoping to chat with anyone who passed the exam and is now a trainer. Just want to hear your before and after experiences with the certification process and what you're doing with your certification. Thanks.
wrestler125
wrestler125
United States
2007/10/07, 07:35 PM
I think that's one of the ones I have. I don't even know anymore.

What am I doing with my certification, that's a good question. hmmm. It's sitting in a folder somewhere if I ever need it. I'm pretty sure that folder is somewhere in Newburgh, NY.

A certification won't mean much, it's what you do after the certification that matters. I don't think I learned a single thing that I applied from my certifications. What is important is that you continue to educate yourself and learn from your experience. There are far too many trainers out there that get a certification, think that makes them an expert, and then stop right there. These are the type of trainers that we make fun of, and the ones that are ruining the industry. They are the ones that do ridiculous things on wobble boards and bands, for no reason other than client retention.

One of the best trainers I know has been in this game for over 40 years, and to this day still learns more each month than most trainers learn in a year.

My point is that the ACSM exam will not be what defines you as a trainer. There is far more to that.

--------------
SQUAT MORE ~Jesse Marunde

Mortal by birth.
Strongman by the grace of god.

Blood Guts Sweat Chalk
asimmer
asimmer
United States
2007/10/08, 08:01 AM
wasakat,
ACSM is an excellent certification - considered the gold standard in the industry. One nice thing is it will prepare you to deal with special populations, that is more than most certifications do. They actually teach you hands-on instead of just studying a manual (though ACE has added a practical portion of their exam now). I studied for the exam but had problems with the location that I was supposed to test at and ended up not taking the exam. Someday I will pursue it... I certified through ACE because it was convenient and they are well-respected.

Getting certified is important. Many facilities require certification for employment. All certifications require continuing education to remain certified.

While your certification may not define you , it will show that you have a base of knowledge to build on. And while it may not mean a lot to some people, many prospective clients believe that a certification is important and have been told in many 'how to find a trainer' articles that you should look for the trainer to have a certification through a respected organization.

Good luck - the ACSM is a very in-depth certification.

--------------
Permanence, perseverance and persistence in spite of all obstacles, discouragements, and impossibilities: It is this, that in all things distinguishes the strong soul from the weak.
Thomas Carlyle

wrestler125
wrestler125
United States
2007/10/09, 10:40 AM
============
Quoting from asimmer:

wasakat,
ACSM is an excellent certification - considered the gold standard in the industry.

=============

I've heard this of ACE, NASM, as well as other certifications. One of the problems with this certification system is that there is no "gold standard". CSCS would be the closest thing to a standard, but you need a 4 year degree to achieve it.

Other than that, I agree with everything Amy said, but didn't think it was what you were asking.

--------------

Mortal by birth.

Blood Guts Sweat Chalk
rev8ball
rev8ball
United States
2007/10/09, 11:30 AM
The basic personal trainer cert is a good one: it's third-party regulated (NCCA), and offered by a non-profit research based organization (ACSM).

The ACSM and NSCA are the only two certs that are worth anything. They don't instantly make you an expert (that takes time and constant learning), but at least they're respectable in the industry.

Also, ACSM has four types of certifications: the HFI requires at least an Associates in a health-related field, the ES requires a bachelors; and the RCEP (which I will be testing for) requires a Masters.

Best of luck.....

--------------
Michael

Because the Best always train the Hardest.
wrestler125
wrestler125
United States
2007/10/09, 01:11 PM
============
Quoting from rev8ball:

Also, ACSM has four types of certifications: the HFI requires at least an Associates in a health-related field, the ES requires a bachelors; and the RCEP (which I will be testing for) requires a Masters.

=============

Micheal is a perfect example of what I was talking about. He has been in this industry for YEARS, and he is still looking to improve himself and learn more about the field.

--------------

Mortal by birth.

Blood Guts Sweat Chalk
2007/10/09, 02:21 PM
Thanks to all for replying. Knowing that the industry is unregulated and filled with fly by night operations that will "certify" you if you can identify your earlobe and touch your toes, I did a lot of research before I decided to pursue a cert through ACSM. I'm a little bummed by your negativity with regards to certifications, Wrester125. Even if you don't put much stock in them, the tone of your reply was highly discouraging. At least I'm TRYING to demonstrate valid knowlege and experience to anyone I train in the future by seeking a certification through a respected organization. Geez. I feel as if you're suggesting that getting certified is a cover for not really knowing your stuff.

I suppose what I was hoping to hear from folks who had obtained cert's through ACSM was this:
1) Having taken the exam and passed, do you feel that ACSM is a responsible organization? I.e. do you think the exam accurately measured whether or not you are truly competent to be training people?
2) Did the exam place heavy emphasis on any one/two knowlege/practical areas? Was it deficient in any areas?
3) Literally, what are you doing now that you have your certification? Are you personal training at a franchise gym? Are you running your own business? Are you a coach or athletic trainer at a college or high school?

Also, does anyone have any suggestions for how I could go about gaining some practical, hands-on experience at being a trainer while I'm prepping for the exam? If I've never interacted with a client, never executed a fitness test, assessed improvements, or taken skin fold measurements, then I don't see how I can be really ready for the test I'll be taking.
wrestler125
wrestler125
United States
2007/10/09, 06:28 PM
============
Quoting from wasakat:

At least I'm TRYING to demonstrate valid knowlege and experience to anyone I train in the future by seeking a certification through a respected organization. Geez. I feel as if you're suggesting that getting certified is a cover for not really knowing your stuff.

=============

All I was trying to convey is that a lot of people take this attitude. I still think it's important in order to get a job as a trainer, but look to get a lot of your info from places other than your certification.

That said, in answer to your questions,

1. No, I don't think it measures competency at all. It will cover enough to make sure you are not doing anything dangerous, but the only thing that can truly determine and teach competence is time in the field and behind the books.

2. I wouldn't say it focused on any one portion, but I would like to have seen more with regards to individual programing with regards to specific goals, as this is one of the largest parts of being a trainer.

3. I worked as a trainer for 3 years, have been an attendent now for 3 years, and am currently coach/captain for a team of powerlifters and strongman that have broke many records over the past few years.

4. Find an experianced and competent trainer and see if he/she would be willing to let you intern, or at least follow them and observe. Most will be happy you asked, and more than willing.

--------------

Mortal by birth.

Blood Guts Sweat Chalk
live4moment
live4moment
United Kingdom
2007/11/29, 08:53 PM
Hiya wasakat

I have passed REP (Register of Exercise Professionals) level 2 of fitness instructor last August, and only last week I found out that I've passed NASM (National Academy of Sports Medicine) level 3 of Personal Trainer. Because in both certifications, I'm the only deaf canditates and it made the practical exam more difficult because I have to take other canditate as my 'client' so the communication was an issue but luckily I have my device to help me to hear and people say that my voice is quite good for a full deaf person and personal trainer use mostly their body language and facial expressions than verbal communication so body language is part of my language and it helped me to get through practical. I was dead nervous both time, but remember, other canditates feel exactly the same but just be yourself, show the 'client' how to perform the exercise and make sure the client understand the full details in simple words, don't use words such as 'brachioradialis' you could say 'bicep' and point where bicep is to help the client understand, because you never know, your future clients might not know what bicep is. Posture is important too, tell the client about posture and what is right posture for each exercise, and let the client shadow how you demonstrate the exercise. Always smile and encourage the client. Thats the key. Hope it helps and best of luck in the exams! Let us all know how you get on. :love:

Pamela x
merrillj
merrillj
United States
2007/12/01, 04:01 PM
Try this test by Christian Thibaudeau

http://www.t-nation.com/readArticle.do?id=490551

He is a world class trainer and you will benefit from his teachings.
merrillj
merrillj
United States
2007/12/01, 04:11 PM
He is also the coach in the "physique clinic" and you can read his advice and the progess of the participants at www.t-nation.com This will demonstrate the toughest challenge to a trainer as the participants are online and Christian has to make recomendations based on word of mouth and honesty in the individual. He is making recommendations on several individuals with different body types. This can only be interesting to watch and learn.
wrestler125
wrestler125
United States
2007/12/09, 09:13 PM
Congratulations Pamela. We have 2 profoundly deaf individuals on our weightlifting team, and they are 2 of the most dedicated guys we have. Even though only a few of the hearing individuals on our team understand sign language (myself and one other) as long as we are united in our goals and hard work, the other stuff just doesn't seem to matter as much.

--------------

Blood Guts Sweat Chalk