Group: Women's Club

Created: 2011/12/31, Members: 525, Messages: 10844

A place for women to gather and share experiences, advice and information amongst themselves.

Join group

cravings at night

climbingnettie
climbingnettie
Canada
2007/09/17, 09:10 PM
Hi all,

I don't know about you guys, but I get do ok during the day with my diet but at night, my cravings go out of control. Does anyone have an idea of what I can do to help curb my need for evening sugar? My stress level is really high right now as we are moving from Canada to the US which makes it even more difficult. I"ve lost 5 lbs but want to lose 10 more....help me! :)
ReptilianFeline
ReptilianFeline
Sweden
2007/09/18, 07:41 AM
I read that a small portion of plain cottage cheese is a great snack before going to bed. It's supposed to help you metabolism.

--------------
-----------------------------------
Getting there...
Velasca
Velasca
United States
2007/09/18, 10:08 PM
personally i have to eat around every 3 hrs..so if i eat at 6pm..then, yes, im gonna start getting hungry again around 9pm..which should be bedtime....if i dont go to bed, then i start snacking on whatever i get my hands on...so if i know im gonna have a *late night* that i account for another snack/meal on that day..meaning i may eat smaller portions earlier in the day to keep within my alloted caloric intake for the day.

otherwise, i brush my teeth and get my butt to bed so i dont get tempted to raid the cookie jar :D

--------------
I am proof there isnt a *set point* :D
georgiagirl
georgiagirl
United States
2007/09/19, 08:14 AM
There is always sugar free Jello! It helps me get thru!

--------------
Life is either a daring adventure or nothing. Security does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than exposure.---Helen Keller
asimmer
asimmer
United States
2007/09/19, 09:09 AM
You also need to lok at the beginning of your day - studies have shown that people who skimp on breakfast are more likely to binge at night - your body tries to force you to make up the deficit. eat enough to support your gaols - create a slight deficit through your diet and more of a deficit through exercise.

Also - try increasing your fiber throughout the day.

It is alright to have a mostly protein snack before bed, have some cottage cheese or a couple of egg whites and an egg scrambled. You could even have salad greens or omelet veggies, it will help fill you up.

If you feel you have met your caloric needs and you are still hungry try mixing some benefiber powder with crystal light and drinking that.

I also use brushing my teeth to distract me from eating when it isn't time.

--------------
Permanence, perseverance and persistence in spite of all obstacles, discouragements, and impossibilities: It is this, that in all things distinguishes the strong soul from the weak.
Thomas Carlyle

ReptilianFeline
ReptilianFeline
Sweden
2007/09/25, 07:43 AM
If your craving is mostly a bad habit in your mind, then exchanging the cookies, candy, ice cream, etc. with something healthier might be a good idea. If you eat cookies, then make your own from pressed oat flakes with fibre, barley (cut, not flour), some egg, water, a touch of salt, and plenty of cinnamon and cardemum. The barley is very good for your intestances, and will keep you going for about 10 hours or so. One cookie like that before bedtime should take care of the craving, and is great to have with you when others have cake and cookies. I have no recipe yet, because I'm still testing it.

--------------
Getting there...
Mel4Short
Mel4Short
United States
2007/09/30, 06:49 PM
My night cravings tend to be for crunch and sweet. So, I eat celery with peanut butter. 2 stalks of celery with 1 Tbls peanut butter split among the two stalks.

Works for me... :)
lynsey1
lynsey1
United Kingdom
2007/10/10, 04:40 AM
I read a book called 'I can make you thin' by Paul Mckenner, although I do not normally believe in these types of books the principals really worked for me. It basically said that you may eat whatever you like in moderation. Your habits sound exactly like mine. I am so good throughout the day whilst at work etc, but as soon as I put my little boy to bed all I want to do is raid the fridge!!!! The book allows you to have a little of what you like even it is at 10:00 am. That way if you eat the food you wanted through the day your less likely to go mad later in the evening because you have put it to the back of your mind during the day. He also advises to eat slowly, chew every mouthful properly and stop eating when your satisfied. he said as long as you eat when you are Hungary it will work and it does. If you allow yourself the food you enjoy you know its not forbidden and less likely to crave it all the time.:)