Group: Experienced Exercise

Created: 2012/01/01, Members: 50, Messages: 19484

For intermediate and advanced individuals. Share and learn how to take your fitness to the next level!

Join group

full body routine

ecuecc
ecuecc
United Kingdom
2007/09/15, 11:42 AM
hi all,

i am currently only able to get to the gym once a week. so i would like some advice on a full body routine, built around the compound exercises.

last week i performed:

deadlifts
bench press
incline bench press
dips
pull-ups

i would however like to incorporate squats, military presses and upright rows into the workout. So what would people think about the following (3 sets of 8-10 reps per exercise)?

squats
deadlifts
bench press (dumbbells)
incline bench press (dumbbells)
military press
upright rows
one-arm rows
pull-ups

would it be better to do deadlifts and squats on alternating sessions, rather than in one go?
would you change the order of exercises? do lower sets for certain exercises?

any of your thoughts on an effective full body routine would be much appreciated.

cheers.
wrestler125
wrestler125
United States
2007/09/16, 10:26 AM
This is going to be all about efficiency. I based my recommendations on the fact that you'll only be in once a week.

Ditch the upright rows (small exercise) and the incline bench (redundant: you're already doing bench and military press).

I think alternating sets would be a good idea. For example, pair a push with a pull, bench with rows, do a set of bench, rest 90 seconds, set of rows, rest 90 seconds, repeat.

Also, I wouldn't necessarily stick with the same rep range all the time. I'd rotate your first exercises (squat one week, bench another, pull ups the third week) and do your first exercise(s) with 5 sets of 4-8. Then you can do your following exercises in the higher rep range. This way, you are still rotating rep ranges, changing the order of exercises, and still going heavy on your first exerercise.

Also, I'd say 4 sets of 8-12 might be better than 3. If you're only training once a week, then when in doubt, do more.

--------------
SQUAT MORE ~Jesse Marunde

Mortal by birth.
Strongman by the grace of god.

Blood Guts Sweat Chalk
ecle5c
ecle5c
United States
2007/09/16, 12:37 PM
You need to do some things outside of the gym also to help compliment your once a week routine. You can do pull-ups about anywhere, and you can find a lot of at home type exercises that will compliment your gym routine.