Group: Injuries & Rehabilitation

Created: 2012/01/01, Members: 54, Messages: 4465

Dealing with injuries and learning how to avoid them is extremely important!

Join group

ACL????

Velasca
Velasca
United States
2007/09/11, 08:18 PM
Ive been reading/talking to ppl who have had this injury...for some reason this seems common in weight lifting...

can someone explain this to me in Noob terms...and things to do to prevent this from happening..

thanks much

--------------
I am proof there isnt a *set point* :D
wrestler125
wrestler125
United States
2007/09/11, 08:33 PM
Your anterior cruciate ligament is the ligament that crosses the femur in the front. You can find it here: http://z.about.com/d/p/440/e/f/12686.jpg

As you can tell from the diagram, the ACL is a stabilizer ligament. It is most commonly torn due to extreme torsional force (rotating, changing directions quickly, impact). It is a much more common injury in females (4-6 times more common).

As for prevention, the main (correctable) reason it is more common in females is because females are more prone to muscle imbalances in the things, specifically hamstring to quad strength. Women rely on the quadriceps much more than males for stabilization, so the corrective process is relatively common sense: train your hamstrings and glutes hard.

In addition, in my opinion, the risk of knee injury can be significantly reduced with the addition of unilateral leg exercises. My favorites are:
Quads: Walking Lunges, bulgarian split squats, single leg box squats (12" box)
Posterior chain: Single leg hyperextension, single leg straight leg deadlift, single leg bridging.

--------------
SQUAT MORE ~Jesse Marunde

Mortal by birth.
Strongman by the grace of god.

Blood Guts Sweat Chalk
wrestler125
wrestler125
United States
2007/09/11, 08:41 PM
If you want to test for an ACL tear, you use the Lachman test. It is difficult to describe, so if you are worried about it, then look it up.

--------------

Mortal by birth.
Strongman by the grace of god.

Blood Guts Sweat Chalk
Velasca
Velasca
United States
2007/09/12, 05:27 PM

SINGLE LEG DEADLIFT~!! omg!!..i have to see that and try it..i love, what sounds like, a challange...cause i love my DL anyways...lol

and thanks wrestler...that was very basic, yet informative and easy to understand...much appreciated :)
============
Quoting from wrestler125:

Your anterior cruciate ligament is the ligament that crosses the femur in the front. You can find it here: http://z.about.com/d/p/440/e/f/12686.jpg

As you can tell from the diagram, the ACL is a stabilizer ligament. It is most commonly torn due to extreme torsional force (rotating, changing directions quickly, impact). It is a much more common injury in females (4-6 times more common).

As for prevention, the main (correctable) reason it is more common in females is because females are more prone to muscle imbalances in the things, specifically hamstring to quad strength. Women rely on the quadriceps much more than males for stabilization, so the corrective process is relatively common sense: train your hamstrings and glutes hard.

In addition, in my opinion, the risk of knee injury can be significantly reduced with the addition of unilateral leg exercises. My favorites are:
Quads: Walking Lunges, bulgarian split squats, single leg box squats (12" box)
Posterior chain: Single leg hyperextension, single leg straight leg deadlift, single leg bridging.

=============

--------------
I am proof there isnt a *set point* :D
sambaland123
sambaland123
Kenya
2007/10/09, 04:37 PM
Had reconstructive surgery last year..Spent the whole of this year gyming n trying 2 grow back my quads!! MAD squats! Extensions also help 4 developing teardrops which are kinda important 4 flight...
Bend ur knees on landing..the impact of the land,especially 4 chicks can mess u up..
AnitaLaMorenita
AnitaLaMorenita
United States
2008/01/01, 04:23 PM
I tore my acl and meniscus, it hurt so bad!! So i've been doing some straight leg raises, knee curls, single leg hops, jump roping, running, etc. I can feel my calf muscle being worked out cuz its still tight from doing single leg jump roping saturday night lol

--------------
~Anita~ ¡es año nuevo! I\'m here to accomplish my goals this year!
wrestler125
wrestler125
United States
2008/01/01, 04:34 PM
============
Quoting from sambaland123:

Had reconstructive surgery last year..Spent the whole of this year gyming n trying 2 grow back my quads!! MAD squats! Extensions also help 4 developing teardrops which are kinda important 4 flight...
Bend ur knees on landing..the impact of the land,especially 4 chicks can mess u up..
=============

If you read my post, you'll see that quad strength isn't usually the issue when an ACL injury presents. It's more common for someone with strong quads and weak hamstrings to experiance this injury.

I'd also recommend you learn to spell the words "to", "your" and "for".

--------------

Blood Guts Sweat Chalk
wrestler125
wrestler125
United States
2008/01/01, 04:36 PM
============
Quoting from Velasca:

SINGLE LEG DEADLIFT~!! omg!!..i have to see that and try it..i love, what sounds like, a challange...cause i love my DL anyways...lol

and thanks wrestler...that was very basic, yet informative and easy to understand...much appreciated :)
=============

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BkQ7JXa_gtg
Single leg straight leg deadlift.

It's a great exercise from a p/rehab perspective, and some people even like it for strength development (if you have the balance).

--------------

Blood Guts Sweat Chalk