Group: Women's Club

Created: 2011/12/31, Members: 525, Messages: 10844

A place for women to gather and share experiences, advice and information amongst themselves.

Join group

Freezing Breast Milk

ssminnow
ssminnow
United States
2007/07/12, 06:00 AM
Hi Ladies, Sorry to intrude on your board but I had a quick question.

My daughter is 3 months old and in another month my wife goes back to work. She has been breast feeding up until now and the baby has been really healthy and growing great (knock on wood). Anyway, my wife most likely will stop breast feeding when she goes back to work.

I think she should be pumping and freezing now and a little bit after she goes back to work (if her milk stays). She thinks that freezing it will remove much of the good stuff that makes it breast milk and at that point we are better off using formula with DHA rather than the hastle of pumping.

Anyone have feedback or suggestions on this? Also, if she just pumps in the morning and the evening will she lose her supply?

Thanks!!!
asimmer
asimmer
United States
2007/07/12, 08:47 AM
minnow - here is a site that may have the answers you seek - http://www.llli.org/nb.html

--------------
Permanence, perseverance and persistence in spite of all obstacles, discouragements, and impossibilities: It is this, that in all things distinguishes the strong soul from the weak.
Thomas Carlyle

ssminnow
ssminnow
United States
2007/07/12, 10:46 AM
Thanks so much! I am going to check it out tonight with my wife.
Lonegirl
Lonegirl
Canada
2007/07/12, 06:29 PM
Freezing the milk is perfectly safe.
In a deep freeze it can be frozen up to 6 months and in a separate refridgerator freezer for 3 months. Breastmilk is best if she can keep it up. Fortunately I am home so don't need to store...but I did in the beginning, before he started solids.
2007/10/05, 08:38 PM
The thing about breast milk is that it's alive. It literally contains living white blood cells called macrophages. That, plus a bunch of other great nutrients, is what makes it so amazing. There have been lots of crazy studies about the properties of breast milk. La Leche League has a website with moderators and lots of terrific resources. You can read the studies yourself. Breast milk has been tested for live macrophages before and after being frozen, and the macrophages make it through freezing. Also, beware the formula's claiming DHA content. MANY studies have demonstrated that the DHA in those formulas are not absorbed by infant digestive systems. Mamma's DHA is specially formulated. I would strongly urge her to start pumping, but also I would urge her to rent a hospital grade breast pump. They are ugly and clunky looking, but they rent out for about $100 per month and they are way more effective at increasing milk production than any model available through a retail store. I'm bummed to hear that she's going to be giving up breast feeding altogether. She doesn't even want to nurse in the evening hours after she gets home from work?

--------------
\"We must be the change we wish to see in the world\" - Ghandi