Group: Experienced Exercise

Created: 2012/01/01, Members: 50, Messages: 19484

For intermediate and advanced individuals. Share and learn how to take your fitness to the next level!

Join group

Workout Schedule Question

DiRect
DiRect
Canada
2007/07/05, 10:11 PM
Basically, I thought I was doing everything properly, until I met with a personal trainer today who told me that I should NOT be going to the gym every day and should focus on a lot of stuff to increase strength. This is the schedule I have prepared, please tell me if it's good enough for intense workouts. I thought my 4 hour workouts were very intense, which they are, but I never thought the trainer would be able to completely exhaust me out in 30 minutes, which he managed to do with exercises that didn't even involve a lot of weight :O.

Please evaluate my schedule and tell me what changes need to be made to maximize quick muscle and strength growth. Keep in mind please that I have been working out for a long time (almost a year) so my muscles are used to intense workouts, so they NEVER get sore anymore, that is why I go to the gym everyday, AND I just started taking protein shakes to help me through. Thank you for your help :)

He also told me NOT to work biceps and triceps on the same day, or chest and back on the same day because they are action/reaction muscles, can someone confirm this for me, because I work all arm muscles when I workout my arms.

Monday:
30 Minutes Warm-Up Cardio
2 h 30 minutes CHEST WORKOUT (+ 3 sets of Bench Press)
45 minutes AB WORKOUT
15 minutes cool down cardio

Tuesday:
30 minutes warm-up cardio
2 h 30 minutes ARM WORKOUT (BICEPS + TRICEPS + FOREARM) (+ 3 sets of Bench Press)
45 minutes AB WORKOUT

Wednesday:
2 h 30 minutes BACK + SHOULDERS WORKOUT (+ 3 sets of Bench Press)
45 minutes AB WORKOUT

Thursday:
2 h 30 minutes LEGS (mainly), SHOULDERS (minimum), + CHEST WORKOUT
45 minutes AB WORKOUT

Friday:
2 h 30 minutes ARM WORKOUT (BICEPS + TRICEPS + FOREARM) (+ 3 sets of Bench Press)
45 minutes AB WORKOUT

That is basically my schedule. Can you guys please look it over, I know I am new to the community, but I plan to stick around, but I really need your help here. Please look it over and tell me if it's any good, and if any changes need to be made, let me know :)

Thank you for your help :)

DiRect
DiRect
Canada
2007/07/05, 10:27 PM
sorry for double post but i didn't see an edit feature :O

I need to know this - is it better when working on ONE body part a day to do as many different types of exercises possible for MAXIMUM benefit, or a select few exercises?

Which is better for your body, and will help me gain muscle mass and strength faster? Right now, when I workout on one body part (say CHEST), I do 3 sets of Bench Press, 3 Sets of Dumbbell Flyes on the incline, and 3 not on the incline bench + incline bench press 3 sets. On TOP of that, I do 3 sets of about 10 machines that the gym offers me.

Now I am confused after meeting with the personal trainer today, which is better for MAXIMUM BENEFIT (taking in mind my muscles can take intense workouts, and I take protein shake (just started)), the workouts I do with the many different exercises, or for example the type of exercises this site offers, 3-5 exercises for one body part a day.

Also keep in mind, that I am trying to gain muscle mass and strength in the next two months, so which is better?
asimmer
asimmer
United States
2007/07/06, 08:09 AM
You need to cut your workout time down to an hour or less or you will not see gains.

Since you ahev been working out for a while, one bodypart a day would be sufficient.

Stop doing your cardio before lifting, do a 5-10 minute warm-up, do your lifting and then do 20-30 minutes cardio or do your cardio on a seperate day.

You need maybe 2-3,( maybe 4) exercises per bodypart, 2-3 sets per exercise.

If the trainer wiped you out in 30 minutes, maybe you want to listen to his advice?

--------------

While we may not be able to control all that happens to us, we can control what happens inside us.
- Ben Franklin
ecle5c
ecle5c
United States
2007/07/06, 09:00 AM
I think that is honestly the worst workout plan I have ever seen. What can you possibly do for 2 and a half hours each day? Either you walk around and talk WAY too much, or you haven't done much reseach about working out.

Rest is an important factor in muscle growth. How can you expect your chest to grow if you work it out EVERY single day. And what do you do for 45 minutes for abs every day. You really need to take a look at what you're doing, I doubt it is working. I've read a rule of thumb is to not do more than about 24 total sets per workout. You would probably be doing about 400 if you were working out the whole time.
DiRect
DiRect
Canada
2007/07/06, 01:43 PM
Yea, I kinda realized what you guys are saying now :P with advice from other people.

Basically last question - I cannot do 45 minutes of AB workout everyday? I thought you could work on your abs everyday and it was actually beneficial since its not working out with weights or anything?

Also, if I do 3-4 different exercises, how many reps of those 3-4 different exercises for each set? Should I decrease reps and increase weight for each set, or what should I do? Furthermore, the 3-4 different exercises (does that include ALL exercises or just the strength training exercises (i.e., with weights)) What if I am doing just body weight exercises, can I do a little more body weight exercises to warm up after stretching properly and then do the strength training exercises?

Thanks for your help :)
DiRect
DiRect
Canada
2007/07/07, 12:48 AM
let me condense the questions I have down for you guys so its easier for you to answer them:

1. Is the shorter 45 minutes - 1.5 hour workout more effective than the 4 hour workout even though it will not make me SOAR (not sure of this) and I am intaking 150 grams of Whey Protein?
2. If I do an individual body part a day exercise routine, how many exercises should I do for each body part every day, how many reps and how many sets? Should I increase the weight for each set and decrease the reps? Which way is MOST effective for strength and muscle gains?
3. AB WORKOUTS: Can I do these everyday, or do I have to put them into a schedule as well, even though they do not involve weights (except for some machines that I may be doing for ab workouts)?
4. If I do one body part a day for my routine, and say do only 5 exercises for each body part a day, should I alternate between those exercises every week? Say for CHEST I do 5 exercises one week, should I do 5 different exercises the next week? Can I retain the normal ones such as bench press or dumbbell fly?
5. I am supposed to limit the amount of exercises that I do for each body part right? So, does that only include the strength training ones, can I do like as many push-ups as I want or would that count as one of the exercises? So basically, would the non-weight exercises have to count as one of the exercises?
6. Should I intake the same amount of Whey Protein on the weekends when I am not working out?
asimmer
asimmer
United States
2007/07/07, 09:47 AM
1) the 4 hour workout will create an environment in your body that is opposite of what you desire - you will go into a catabolic state and never build muscle. the 45minute - 1 hour workout should make you sore, if you are lifting heavy enough and focusing on the muscle that is working.
2) 3-4 exercises, 8-12 reps, starting with 12 reps the first set and adding weight each additional set, dropping the reps if need be. the last set should be at or close to failure at 8 reps.
3)Abs every other or every 3rd day is plenty - they are being recruited/ getting worked when you do heavy compound work every workout(bench, squat, deadlift, row). If you are doing 45 minutes of ab work, you are basically doing 45 minutes cardio.
4) you can rotate between tow sets of exercises, or stick with the same set for 8 weeks, then switch. Keep your bench and db flyes. try to include a falt movement, an incline movement and a fly movement.
5) I use push-ups for warm-up before chest and before arms.
6) considering that the most muscle is being built during the recovery/rest period, keep your protein levels up every day.

--------------

While we may not be able to control all that happens to us, we can control what happens inside us.
- Ben Franklin
tromeojr2
tromeojr2
United States
2007/07/09, 09:20 PM
i dont think you should be posting this in the intermediate forum that workout looks like pre-beginner if there is a such thing dont ever do that workout again.

my advice to you is grab the dictionary and look up the word intensity, then try that in the gym next time you go then see how long you can work out for.
baymaster
baymaster
United Kingdom
2007/07/14, 04:22 PM
You must sleep in the gym, do you have a job???
Join a gym and learn from a professional - you are currently wasting your time and progress will be non exsistant unless you start again from scratch.
good luck....