Group: Injuries & Rehabilitation

Created: 2012/01/01, Members: 54, Messages: 4465

Dealing with injuries and learning how to avoid them is extremely important!

Join group

Knee

cjernew
cjernew
United States
2007/05/08, 01:56 PM
I tore my ACL about two years ago and have had surgery. However, I did not complete all of the physical therapy. I have no problem with daily tasks even running 5 miles on an eliptical. But my whole leg including the knee is weaker because I favor the other so much. What are some exercises I can do to strengthen the knee?
jaytori129
jaytori129
United States
2007/05/09, 09:19 AM
i also had knee injury the best exercise without too much stress but works it hard until you feel confident in squats etc is lunges, weighted lunges but not too heavy
Ravenbeauty
Ravenbeauty
United States
2007/05/10, 01:57 AM
Just basic type squats, no sissy, hack or jumping squats for the time being until you can work up to them. Believe me when I say listen to your knee, it will tell you if you are doing too much and like jay said, keep the weights low and increase once you know you have built up enough strength in that knee. Unfortunately with knee injuries, like many others, they take a long time to heal, if ever, fully recovered.

Good luck and let us know how you progress. :)

--------------
Bettia

"Minds are like parachutes; they work best when open." - Lord Thomas Dewar
k-ok
k-ok
United States
2007/05/10, 12:17 PM
On leg machines (leg presses, leg curls, leg extension if the upper shin is supported), find out what you can perform with both legs, the half the weight and work single legs with the understanding you need to progress to 70% of the starting weight before you double the weight again and work both legs together.

That should get you started.

k-ok, PT
enalley03
enalley03
United States
2007/06/03, 04:38 AM
I hardly ever workout my legs because I had left knee surgery a couple of years ago. I played soccer and other sports but actually working out in the gym I never did. Well I just had right knee surgery back in January and well I am slowly starting to jog again. Only problem is I am starting to have problems with my Left knee, it swells on me and I don't know why. Could I be over working it or could there be something actually wrong with it. Any advice would be nice..

ERin
asimmer
asimmer
United States
2007/06/03, 07:31 AM
something is aggarvating it - ice it down after you jog.

I guess I wouldn't recommend jogging for anyone with knee issues - too much impact on your knees. Walking or running witha longer stride may be more comfortable, otherwise biking or using the elliptical at the gym might be good options with less impact on your knees.

--------------

Permanence, perseverance and persistence in spite of all obstacles, discouragements, and impossibilities: It is this, that in all things distinguishes the strong soul from the weak.
Thomas Carlyle