Group: Experienced Exercise

Created: 2012/01/01, Members: 50, Messages: 19484

For intermediate and advanced individuals. Share and learn how to take your fitness to the next level!

Join group

Working lats with free weights

urmaniac13
urmaniac13
Italy
2007/04/25, 08:00 PM
We are in a process of making a home gym. We are pondering whether we should get a multi functional weight machine or not. We are still undecided because the machine is in discussion solely because of the issue about lats routine.
Usually I prefer working with free weights, except for lats. I found pull downs and seated row on the machine are the most effective exercises for lats. If I could come up with a better way to work my lats using free weights, I wouldn't have to buy a machine, however the only thing I can think of is bentover row. With a barbell it stresses my lower back too much, I could do one side at a time with a dumbell,with one hand supporting myself, but still a bent-over position makes me feel very uncomfortable.
Does anyone know and would like to share an alternative exercise for lats using free weights? TIA!!
2007/04/25, 09:25 PM
Get a pull up bar and do chin ups and pull ups.

--------------
Those who want tolerance must be tolerant to intolerance.
jaytori129
jaytori129
United States
2007/04/25, 10:32 PM
I had same problem but here is your answer if you dont like a bent over position them do them sitting reversed on inclined bench also noone said weightlifting was going to be easy if BEnt over Rows feel funny you may not have proper form I hurt my lower back doing them in correctly study the form you will find it very easy once you hit good form
asimmer
asimmer
United States
2007/04/26, 10:46 AM
pull-ups, db one arm rows, db pull-overs, seated two arm db rows..

--------------

Permanence, perseverance and persistence in spite of all obstacles, discouragements, and impossibilities: It is this, that in all things distinguishes the strong soul from the weak.
Thomas Carlyle

urmaniac13
urmaniac13
Italy
2007/04/27, 09:46 AM
Thanks for your suggestions!!
I did have one of our best instructors to monitor my motion for rowing, but he didn't see anything wrong. It is just that my lower back is wimpy and grouchy (I also posted a question about it on the proper treatment forum), and probably in need of some conditioning separately.
I think doing the rows on the incline bench with reversed position may be a great solution.
Pull up/chin up may be a good supplementary routine, but I am yet to be able to do enough repititions (just 3 or 4) to make it a primary exercise...
I shall do some experients with these suggestions, and see which one works for me the best...
BTW, asimmer, how is "seated two arm dumbell rows" exactly performed?
2007/04/27, 10:12 AM
Try some negatives on the Pull Ups and Chins, this will help you gain more strength.

--------------
tromeojr2
tromeojr2
United States
2007/04/27, 04:50 PM
what are negative pull ups ?
2007/04/27, 08:18 PM
Start at the top of the movement and slowly control your body on the decent. Then climb back up and repeat.

--------------
wrestler125
wrestler125
United States
2007/04/28, 05:31 PM
3 point rows (knee and hand on the bench, row with one arm) are a great movement, as well as t-bar rows with a barbell placed in a corner.

Some people don't get much out of BOR's. I have a long torso so it's more of a pain than it is worth. The amount of weight that my back can handle is a huge strain on my hamstrings and lower back.

--------------
Mortal by birth.
Strongman by the grace of god.

Blood Guts Sweat Chalk