Group: Women's Club

Created: 2011/12/31, Members: 525, Messages: 10844

A place for women to gather and share experiences, advice and information amongst themselves.

Join group

Birth Control Pill stopping weight loss

Speeder
Speeder
Canada
2007/04/25, 01:25 PM

My Girlfriend believes that taking Birth Control is hindering her weight loss. I believe this is a Myth, and don't think it has any relavance to weight loss.

So I wanted to poll the women here, and see if those who have lost weight, has this been a factor for you or not?

Help me dispell the Myth :dumbbell:
asimmer
asimmer
United States
2007/04/26, 10:50 AM
birth control pills do affect your hormones and I did feel icky and bloated, sluggish when on them. Maybe she should talk to her doctor about a lower dose type of pill?

Still, if she is on a good eating plan and doing a good routine she should be able to lose weight.

--------------

Permanence, perseverance and persistence in spite of all obstacles, discouragements, and impossibilities: It is this, that in all things distinguishes the strong soul from the weak.
Thomas Carlyle

KC_72
KC_72
United States
2007/04/26, 10:51 AM
um.....wasn't myth for me...I gained alot of weight on birth control pills..but my hormones were already out of control...adding hormones made life unbearable...but that was me...

There are other methods of birth control...but not the rythem method...my son is breathing proof there is a reason they call people who use that method parents...

You could take control of the situation for instance...for me...birth control was a nightmare....
Speeder
Speeder
Canada
2007/04/27, 09:44 AM

asimmer, I know for sure it does Bloat and make a person sluggish. But would the hormone changes affect a person from Losing anyweight? to me, and this isn't to say for all women its the same, I think that she uses this as an excuse, as to why after a month or 2 she hasn't lost any weight, when to me, its because she does not have a proper workout plan, or diet in place. but rather than taking a hard and honest look at those things, she will just say, well it has to be the BC.

But I'm in the back holding my tongue, saying no, its because you read a magazine while doing cardio, and never push yourself!

anyways The weight loss is her choice, I'm just trying to help her succeed. :cool:
asimmer
asimmer
United States
2007/04/27, 06:15 PM
Well, yes, if she is not training hard and eating right, she won't lose weight on or off the pill....

It may have a slight effect on ease of weight loss, but a proper diet helps level hormones, so maybe that would counteract it.

--------------

Permanence, perseverance and persistence in spite of all obstacles, discouragements, and impossibilities: It is this, that in all things distinguishes the strong soul from the weak.
Thomas Carlyle

2007/05/03, 06:36 AM
For me, I am having a hard time losing weight now that I am OFF the pill. And I cry a lot more. Hormones are so damn annoying!!!!!!!! Only a doctor could answer that question for sure, I think.
2007/05/03, 06:37 AM
PS where in Canada are you from - I'm in BC....
Speeder
Speeder
Canada
2007/05/03, 10:59 PM

Hey mcoutu, Thats for the input. I'm from Ottawa actually! GO Sens :)
brie0016
brie0016
United States
2007/05/22, 09:16 PM
I used to take Birth control and I gained alot of weight, and I work in a Pharmacy, I see alot of girls come in one size and a few months later look bigger. I'm sure this does not go for everyone, but I'd say the majority of women gain weight. Yasmin not yaz has a water pill built in with the B/C so it can make you lose weight.