Group: Experienced Exercise

Created: 2012/01/01, Members: 50, Messages: 19484

For intermediate and advanced individuals. Share and learn how to take your fitness to the next level!

Join group

contradiction to insulin spike?

danft
danft
Canada
2007/04/11, 09:50 PM
I understand that the reason for an insulin spike with your PWO shake is to raise your insulin levels so EAA's and proteins can get to your muscles. Without the insulin spike your body will get glucose from your the proteins and EAA's in your muscles. HOWEVER, I read this on wikipedia and now i'm confused? Apparently "Muscle cells lack the ability to pass glucose into the blood, so the glycogen they store internally is destined for internal use and is not shared with other cells..."

ENTIRE QUOTE:
Muscle cell glycogen appears to function as an immediate reserve source of available glucose for muscle cells. Other cells that contain small amounts use it locally as well. Muscle cells lack the ability to pass glucose into the blood, so the glycogen they store internally is destined for internal use and is not shared with other cells, unlike liver cells.

Any clarification would be greatly appreciated

bb1fit
bb1fit
United States
2007/04/11, 09:57 PM
You need to be able to interpret what you read.

--------------
"If it ain't broke, you aren't trying."

rev8ball
rev8ball
United States
2007/04/11, 11:04 PM
Two things that may help clear things up:

1) Glucose taken immediately after an intense workout is insulin independent for up to two hours. Yes, glucose may be protein sparing, but not because it causes an insulin spike.

2) Ingested additional glucose does not promote glycogen sparing. It will, however, allow you to maintain intense levels of exercise as glycogen begins to be depleted.

--------------
Michael

Humble, even in Victory.