Group: Experienced Exercise

Created: 2012/01/01, Members: 50, Messages: 19484

For intermediate and advanced individuals. Share and learn how to take your fitness to the next level!

Join group

Running and muscle growth

burgels
burgels
United States
2007/01/05, 02:37 PM
For the last year I have been doing a lot of working out (lifting and interval training) and lost about 20 pounds in the process. I have gotten my body fat percentage down to about 13.75% which is still higher than my goal of single digits. I have built some muscle but not as much as I would like so far.

I needed a goal this year and I decided upon trying to run a half marathon in April. Clearly this puts my muscle growth goals on hold for now but it is something that I really want to do. I will still lift two days a week focusing on mainly compound exercises to try and maintain the muscle I have built.

My question is this, what can I do to ensure that my bf will continue to go down as I run more and is there a way to lift that will help me to minimize my muscle loss or even continue to grow as I train aerobically?
ecle5c
ecle5c
United States
2007/01/05, 04:31 PM
Make sure to continue lifting heavy, I've heard that taking fish oil can be beneficial in reducing the amount of muscle loss.

To continue dropping body fat I would also emphasize sprinting/interval type training along with your endurance training. Along with of course the proper diet.
bb1fit
bb1fit
United States
2007/01/06, 12:36 PM
Your bodyfat will go down if your diet is compatible. Doing the long distance running more often should result in more caloric expenditure. This along with diet is what leads to fat loss. Keep protein up, this will help retain lean muscle....keep calories adequate enough to do the marathon(most endurance athletes use a higher carb diet because of caloric expenditure, glucose is needed badly for this kind of work and carbohydrates are your preferred source for this).

--------------
"If it ain't broke, you aren't trying."

burgels
burgels
United States
2007/01/08, 08:13 AM
Cool, sounds like more or less what I'm doing. I've been on the fish oil train for a while now. I'm taking about 5 grams a day (I know I could take more but I can't afford to buy it more often than that) And I am lifting on my cross training days that are built into my running schedule. Same with the protein, I'm still trying to stick with that as if I was lifting all the time. Thanks
JimmySmith
JimmySmith
United States
2007/01/08, 07:16 PM
You have to keep in mind that any type of aerobic activity is going to be catabolic, therefore it will break down muscle tissue for energy. You can run while training to get bigger but you must find a common middle ground. Possibly 2 high intensity running days per week.
Jimmy
www.jimmysmithtraining.com
SFGiantsMVP
SFGiantsMVP
United States
2007/01/08, 08:25 PM
I'm going to call DOGMA on this 1.

If you do as BB1's stated you should be fine.

What I believe is you can't expect to Bulk up Like Lou Ferigno and run like Carl Lewis but you can have a muscular body as a runner especially since your not a full time Pro at it and not have to except a crackhead like body just because you like to run.

Drink lots of water too you'll need it.
burgels
burgels
United States
2007/01/09, 07:09 AM
Thanks that's the confirmation that I was looking for.