Group: Experienced Exercise

Created: 2012/01/01, Members: 50, Messages: 19484

For intermediate and advanced individuals. Share and learn how to take your fitness to the next level!

Join group

I dont think i need to work out my legs?

Mikeymic
Mikeymic
United States
2006/12/05, 05:21 PM
Hey im new here and had a question maybe some of you could help me out with. I work out about 3 to 4 times a week but i never include my legs due to the fact that im happy with the way they look. Many years of volleyball and soccer have really gained alot of muscle throughout my legs so i dont see a reason to work them out. Not to mention i can't afford my legs hurting the next day or even the day after because i play soccer 2 times a week and volleyball another day out of the week. Is it ok that im not working the legs, the only thing i really do with them is scissor kicks with 10lbs ankle weights but thats mainly for lower abs.
yadmit
yadmit
Canada
2006/12/05, 05:25 PM
No, it's not okay.

You NEED to add them into a routine.

t

--------------
I see the words you are typing, but all I read is *click*click*click*

Be here. Live. Love. Hope. Now. Faith. Believe. You. - Keith Urban

They always say time changes things, but you actually have to change them yourself. - Andy Warhol

Carivan
Carivan
Canada
2006/12/05, 05:42 PM
What you posted is the justification for working out your legs. Did you forget that the support you along with your back muscles?

--------------
A little discipline at the table and at the gym might help reduce that belly!

Ivan

Montreal Canada (City of Festivals)
bigandrew
bigandrew
United States
2006/12/05, 05:59 PM
Guess what?

cyclsts train there legs.

sprints/ long distance runners....train their legs

football players train their legs..

all of them workout their legs....in a weight room with load bearing(sp) excercises.

Think of this another way...if your upper body gets over devoloped....what will that do to your soccer and verticle jumping game?

--------------

Get your bicep curling, cut off shirt, matching workout outfit wearing,flexing in mirror "toned" wanna-be ass , out of my squat rack!

People don't reach thier true potental, only those who seek it.
Mikeymic
Mikeymic
United States
2006/12/05, 06:17 PM
Yea i understand that professional athletes train their legs, but im not trying to be a football player. I was simply stating my legs look good they go along well with the rest of my body, and im also not trying to get a ridiculous upper body, im trying to get more toned than anything. I mean if i start to notice a big differnce in between my upper and lower body than sure i guess ill start doing the legs, but to be honest my upper body i think needs to catch up with my lower body. I did hear that working your biggest muscle out in your body i guess the thighs will help your other muscles grow, is that true?
yadmit
yadmit
Canada
2006/12/05, 06:21 PM
Most things that stand upright have a strong base. Radio towers, buildings all have strong foundations. Why would you not want to work out your own foundation?

Sqauts are a major compound exercise that work more than just your legs.

t

--------------

They always say time changes things, but you actually have to change them yourself. - Andy Warhol

wrestler125
wrestler125
United States
2006/12/05, 06:39 PM
The problem with taking that logic, mikey, is that you won't notice when your upper body is out of proportion with your lower body. You probably won't catch it at all until you catch me or someone else making fun of you.

--------------
Iron and chalk.
2006/12/06, 12:06 AM
go do some squats you'll realize how piss weak your legs are....ahh f8&k it dude go do some bench and curls....to blend in at most gyms wear colorful outfits that are 2 sizes too small to emphasize your powerful upperbody...:/
Mikeymic
Mikeymic
United States
2006/12/06, 03:15 PM
Ok well i get the point ill start working out my legs, def know they aren't piss weak though for sure, i was mainly tryin to work all upper body seeing that i lack in that area and didn't want to waste a day doing legs, they seemed fine. Ok so i work out 4 days a week and avg about 45mins to an hour workout time, i guess ill have to combine my workouts somehow in order to make a day for legs?? Is it smart to do biceps and triceps in 1 day or would i not be able to lift a pencil the next day.
ps: after how many posts can i basically call someone a dumb ass?? jk
ATIGER
ATIGER
United States
2006/12/06, 03:24 PM
Try to leg workout for awhile - see the results, if that is not what you want, do what you wish.
yadmit
yadmit
Canada
2006/12/06, 03:26 PM

============
Quoting from mikeymic:
ps: after how many posts can i basically call someone a dumb ass?? jk
=============
Guess it all depends who you want to call a dumbass? :)

t

--------------

yadmit
yadmit
Canada
2006/12/06, 03:27 PM
Why not get a FREE routine from this site.

And yes, it's okay to do bis and tris on the same day.

t

--------------

josmit
josmit
Canada
2006/12/06, 03:29 PM
Lots of people do biceps and tricepts in the same day. You could superset or something.
I dont do this though
2006/12/06, 04:53 PM
or you could try doing pull ups/chin ups and dips....working most of your upper body muscles including the small muscles in your arms without dedicating a whole day to them...see you have everything backwards....you do need to train legs...however dedicating a day to bi/tri is not necessary....you can still choose to do an exercise at the end of another day....

alright since you think your legs are strong....what is your 1rm on the squat going down BELOW parallel...something tells me you wont be squatting your bodyweight....sorry to break it to you but I had this argument with very good athletes before...Div I quality....and each time they fall over backwards with light weights...if you dont squat be prepared for some humble pie...
bigandrew
bigandrew
United States
2006/12/06, 05:48 PM
If you concider yourself an athlete....then why not train and be one.

Thats why there is a real differance....when you look at people trying to get "toned'.....and people who train correctly or concider themselves athletes.

Athletes never have the 'chicken' leg look.

FYI a friend of mine played soccer in HS...he thought the same thing you did....just wanted to bring up his upper body.....he was always in the trainers for pulled hammies and quads

--------------

Get your bicep curling, cut off shirt, matching workout outfit wearing,flexing in mirror "toned" wanna-be ass , out of my squat rack!

wrestler125
wrestler125
United States
2006/12/06, 06:37 PM
Yes, we are sure your legs aren't piss weak. Until of course, you actually workout with menace or andrew... Or anyone else who squats. Or trains their legs in other ways. But other than that...

--------------
Iron and chalk.
SFGiantsMVP
SFGiantsMVP
United States
2006/12/06, 07:29 PM
Top heavy people are the easiest to KNOCK DOWN!

Just give them a little nudge and they get all wobbly.

A well ballance man with a real stong core and legs, well you can try and run him down like a catcher at the plate but with piss weak legs your just going to bounce off him while every ones laughs at you!

Oh what is toned? Isn't that what chicks do, the cardio bunnies?
Mikeymic
Mikeymic
United States
2006/12/06, 08:02 PM
Ok, umm i dont have chicken legs for 1, thats what i was trying to say in my first comment when i said im happy with the way my legs look. To be honest alot of my friends who work out ask me what i do to get my legs lookin the way they are and i tell them nothing. So i guess my legs look nice but they just aren't strong if that makes any freakin sense. And i never pull hammies or quads, i usually stretch for a good 20mins though before i play any of my sports so maybe thats y.
2006/12/06, 10:17 PM
You probably have fairly low so it makes your legs appear stronger/bigger than they are....maybe far stretch from reality...

not training legs is just a way to hold yourself/results back...

I can with all honesty say I was wasting my time in the gym before I started doing squat/deadlift and other big compound exercises....

unless you are a parapallegic or have a specific condition/injury that prevents you from training legs...you should be training them.....more specifically with squats, lunges, deadlifts, step ups, .....
2006/12/06, 10:20 PM
fairly low bodyfat*
SFGiantsMVP
SFGiantsMVP
United States
2006/12/06, 11:03 PM
My injury is a the point where I have been on the barbell squats but still can't deadlift, which 1 is the bigger of the 2? I heard it's the squat!

I'm not sure yet but I may never be able to deadlift heavy and I ask because I may just be stuck with squats and lunges as my freeweight compounds for legs and core.

============
Quoting from menace3000:

You probably have fairly low so it makes your legs appear stronger/bigger than they are....maybe far stretch from reality...

not training legs is just a way to hold yourself/results back...

I can with all honesty say I was wasting my time in the gym before I started doing squat/deadlift and other big compound exercises....

unless you are a parapallegic or have a specific condition/injury that prevents you from training legs...you should be training them.....more specifically with squats, lunges, deadlifts, step ups, .....
=============
2006/12/07, 04:18 PM
Like I said if there are specific injuries/medical necessities that prevent you from doing something that's fine. Doing squats you're already about a mile ahead of the general population.

What about deadlifts makes it hurt? did you mention soemthing about herniated disk before or am I confusing you with some else?

Try doing hyperextensions with progressively heavier weight. Start out with bodyweight and do high reps...upwards of 20-30.....once that becomes easy try holding a light weight....2.5-5 lb and do 10-15 reps....work your way up to around 20....then increase weight.....keep doing this until you're holding some heavy weight...you'll feel the difference in your lower back...

I have never had any serious back injury :::knock on wood::::....but I had nagging back pain for 6 months before when I tweaked my lower back squatting 5-6 years ago...so I know all too well what it's like when you can do certain things....I used hyperextension machine(tho you can use freeweight version)...and it strengthened my lower back by a huge factor over a year or a year and a half....it literally stopped the pain and transformed my strength level....

Have you tried Good Mornings? good substitute as well for deadlifts....

bottom line try to find ways around your limitations....many people make the mistake of stopping completely...
Pemdas
Pemdas
United States
2006/12/07, 05:30 PM
Some things that made DLing stop hurting…

From my own personal experience, I find that I have to rest more between sets of DLs or any other lower back dominant exercise like GMs compared to other exercises. I have learned what pace my back works the best with through experimentation. I can almost guarantee that if I rush my lower back will hurt and hate me the next day. For me a 3 to 5 min rest periods is usually sufficient, but I don’t time my rest periods. I have developed the ability to feel when I ready for my next set.

Furthermore, I definitely agree with menace on hyperextentions and GMs. The stronger my lower back becomes the less it bothers me. Strengthening my abs has also help. (heavy weighted sets of 6-10 reps…not a crunch marathon) Also, stretching my lower back in between sets reduces the probability of any pain.

Finally, it wasn’t until I started DLing heavy that I truly appreciated a thorough warm up. It is truly amazing the difference that a thorough warm up makes in preventing pain or injury and not mention performance.
SFGiantsMVP
SFGiantsMVP
United States
2006/12/07, 07:43 PM
Bulging disk, and yes I do hyperextensions with a 45 pound plate and will step up to heavier with a barbell and I do Good Mornings just as well.

For the deadlifts it's just simply the body not allowing me to pull up heavy weight off the floor like that but if I hold it on shoulders and chest I can do squats, good mornings and the hyperextensions.

I'm sure in time I can do deadlifts but if I can get away with just the others named above it might be best off to stay away from the deadlift.

============
Quoting from menace3000:

Like I said if there are specific injuries/medical necessities that prevent you from doing something that's fine. Doing squats you're already about a mile ahead of the general population.

What about deadlifts makes it hurt? did you mention soemthing about herniated disk before or am I confusing you with some else?

Try doing hyperextensions with progressively heavier weight. Start out with bodyweight and do high reps...upwards of 20-30.....once that becomes easy try holding a light weight....2.5-5 lb and do 10-15 reps....work your way up to around 20....then increase weight.....keep doing this until you're holding some heavy weight...you'll feel the difference in your lower back...

I have never had any serious back injury :::knock on wood::::....but I had nagging back pain for 6 months before when I tweaked my lower back squatting 5-6 years ago...so I know all too well what it's like when you can do certain things....I used hyperextension machine(tho you can use freeweight version)...and it strengthened my lower back by a huge factor over a year or a year and a half....it literally stopped the pain and transformed my strength level....

Have you tried Good Mornings? good substitute as well for deadlifts....

bottom line try to find ways around your limitations....many people make the mistake of stopping completely...
=============
2006/12/07, 08:39 PM
IF you can do hypers and Gms then you're fine. Deadlifts are not end all but they are the king when it comes to lifts in terms of effeciency and results.

Hopefully in time your bulging disk will heal.
dgjesu3
dgjesu3
United States
2006/12/24, 08:38 PM
Mikey, you should prioritize your schedule. Meaning, if volleyball and soccer is most important to you, then lift your legs on a day that is convenient for you, and works well with your volleyball and soccer schedule. Therefore, it won't effect your performance for your next volleyball or soccer game/practice. Also, you are already working out your legs by participating in volleyball and soccer, so just once a week for legs would be efficient.
bigandrew
bigandrew
United States
2006/12/25, 08:25 PM
Well we can't beat a dead horse and make him get up. Most soccer players I've met have the same mentality..."I run alot, my legs look good therefore I don't need to work them."

So do what you want....you might get away not training your legs for awhile but one day somthing WILL happen...... reamember this:

"Your only as strong as your weakest link"

--------------

lphitter47
lphitter47
United States
2007/01/27, 11:03 PM
Hey your legs might look good but they can still be a hell of a lot stronger. And after like two weeks you wont be sore after working out your body will be used to a intense leg work out if they arnt already from years of soccer.sssooooooooo WORK OUT YOUR LEGS!!!