Group: Health & Fitness over 40

Created: 2011/12/31, Members: 206, Messages: 2480

Group dedicated to men and women over the age of 40 that care about their health and want to take the fitness and nutrition down the right path.

Join group

lose fat or gain muscle?

telemenow
telemenow
United States
2006/11/10, 03:16 PM
Hi, I am new to the program and fairly new to weight lifting, I am really enjoying this website and all it has to offer, especially comments from bb 1.
Anyway, my question is this, I'm 43, 5 10 and 167 lbs a fairly skinny guy, but kinda flabby, I wear a 33 waist, but I just measured around my love handles and all, and it was about 38 inches, my consultation at the gym says I'm 22 % fat, I held a device in front of me.
Can anyone look at my profile and help me in the right direction. I recently started eating more, but I'm not sure if I should be doing cardio and weights, just weights or just cardio. I know I'm on the right track but just looking for specifics. Thanks in advance.
telemenow
telemenow
United States
2006/11/10, 03:26 PM
Hmmmmm.... I guess I don't have a profile yet, I'll have to look into that. Basically I want to gain some muscle with some definition, nothing extreme and I would like to lose the fat.
I can offer more info if needed. Thanks

============
Quoting from telemenow:

Hi, I am new to the program and fairly new to weight lifting, I am really enjoying this website and all it has to offer, especially comments from bb 1.
Anyway, my question is this, I'm 43, 5 10 and 167 lbs a fairly skinny guy, but kinda flabby, I wear a 33 waist, but I just measured around my love handles and all, and it was about 38 inches, my consultation at the gym says I'm 22 % fat, I held a device in front of me.
Can anyone look at my profile and help me in the right direction. I recently started eating more, but I'm not sure if I should be doing cardio and weights, just weights or just cardio. I know I'm on the right track but just looking for specifics. Thanks in advance.
=============
mikencharleston
mikencharleston
United States
2006/11/10, 03:31 PM
Cardio and weights but primarily check your diet (really check it) and go from there. Browse the stickies in the forums as there is some super information. It's hard to answer that broad a question and it helps (you and us) to be more specific.
telemenow
telemenow
United States
2006/11/10, 03:47 PM
Okay, I have created a profile, that has most of my info on it. Specificly, do I need supplements? All I do now is a protein shake post workout.
KC_72
KC_72
United States
2006/11/10, 03:57 PM
I think your protien is to low and your carbs to high...the tracker on this site is usually inaccurate...try 2 g of protien per pound of bodyweight.I don't think you'll need any supplements...alot of the guys on here don't use them and they look great.You're best bet would be to follow mikes advice...go through the stickies...and take a close look at your diet!

good luck...and welcome to FT!:)
telemenow
telemenow
United States
2006/11/10, 04:13 PM

Funny you say that I have yet to eat that many carbs in a day :) or calories for that matter. I'm also one of these people that are a little concerned about the effects of to much protein,:laugh: to much info on the net:laugh: but I will agree that seems to be most everybodys advice. Thank you guys for all the help.
============
Quoting from KC_72:

I think your protien is to low and your carbs to high...the tracker on this site is usually inaccurate...try 2 g of protien per pound of bodyweight.I don't think you'll need any supplements...alot of the guys on here don't use them and they look great.You're best bet would be to follow mikes advice...go through the stickies...and take a close look at your diet!

good luck...and welcome to FT!:)
=============
mikencharleston
mikencharleston
United States
2006/11/11, 09:07 AM
Browse the site a bit more and you'll find all kinds of facts and studies to debunk the "mainstream" thoughts on too much protein.
koya1893
koya1893
United States
2008/04/02, 07:09 AM
muscle mass building will be a challenge but worth the effort. To cut this short eat two different ways: one eat for energy which is your good carbs and fat. Two eat to feed muscle after the workout and even pre-workout. also think heavy and short. what I mean is when you finally get your form and breathing down you need to start lifting heavy and what I mean by short is cut the rest time in between sets down to 15 seconds. Reps will be 5-6 and sets to 5-6. also give a routine three weeks and change it up and hopefully be able to increase weight. Before all this you need to find out your 1rev. max. when you do you can take 80 percent of that weight and use that weight as your warm up and increase weight four times till you hit that mark.

For exmaple: Bench
use that 80 percent weight and do 10-15 to warm up and get the form started.

increase that by 10-15 found total, do five reps
increase it again by 10-15 do 4-5 reps
increase it again by 10-15 do 3-4 reps
Until you reach that max weght you will find that you are stronger than you think and you can increase weight the following week. I can go on and on here. Do a search for a routine call "HIIT" or "5X5" routine. By the way if you don't already have one I recommend getting a heart monitor. Focus on keeping your HR around 130bpm during all your workout, that's keeping the rest time at a minimal. If you just started to work out keep the rest time in between sets at 60 seconds and work your way down to 15 seconds. Oh yeah as your workout get intense it will require you to increase your protien intake close to 1 gram per 1lbs of muscle. but you will need the protien, BCAA and creatine might even come to play to feed those muscle.