Group: Experienced Exercise

Created: 2012/01/01, Members: 50, Messages: 19484

For intermediate and advanced individuals. Share and learn how to take your fitness to the next level!

Join group

Opinions on 3-day workout

ecuecc
ecuecc
United Kingdom
2006/11/07, 06:51 PM
Hi guys,

Just joined this forum; I was hoping you'd be able to provide me a bit of feedback on my current weight lifting routine. I've been doing this more or less for the last 5 weeks (after 5 min warmup on treadmill).

Monday: Bench press
Inclined shoulder press
One-arm rows
Chest flies/pec deck
Press ups

Wednesday: Bicep curls
Lateral pull downs
Single-arm tricep extension
Upright rows

Friday: Shoulder press
Front Raises
Lateral Raises
Seated Leg Press
Seated leg curls.

Do you guys think I should change things round a little?

I mostly use free weights. I'm 21, 5'5 and weigh about 9 stone.
Basically, I'd like to bulk up a little bit/ but still stay fairly trim.

Any advice you could provide would be greatly appreciated.

Also, nutrition; I normally eat wholemeal bread with oily fish (tuna or sardines) about an hour before my workout. Has a lot of protein. What other quick and easy pre-workout foods do you recommend?

Cheers all
mikencharleston
mikencharleston
United States
2006/11/07, 08:03 PM
There will probably be more comments but you are doing mostly isolation moves and not enough leg work to make any difference. Rather than reinvent the wheel, have you tried one of the routines on this site?

Welcome to the site by the way. What you are doing is typical of people starting out but you need a more basic program and use the isolation stuff when you have something to isolate.
2006/11/07, 08:35 PM
3 days a week is great, but I would change up your exercises a bit. Stick to the big compound lifts and their variations.
Bench(flat/incline), Military or Push Press, Chin/Pull Ups, Bent Over/Seated/T-bar Rows, Squats, Lunges, Deadlifts, SLDL, etc.... If you want to mix in a little isolation at the end that is ok. Good Luck

--------------
If you can read this, thank a teacher.
If you can read this in English, thank a US Soldier
2006/11/07, 09:54 PM
do what Ka has suggested. So far you have 1 half decent exercise in Bench Press.....the rest is crap...

try one of the routines discussed in powerlifting/strength forum...it will keep you about the same weight given the same diet...yet it will help boost your strength and lower BF...
yadmit
yadmit
Canada
2006/11/07, 10:03 PM
Gotta agree...

I saw some improvement with some iso stuff, but it wasn't until I did routine strictly with compound movements (with the occassional iso) that I saw a major improvement.

t

--------------
I am training for birthdays.

Be here. Live. Love. Hope. Now. Faith. Believe. You. - Keith Urban

They always say time changes things, but you actually have to change them yourself. - Andy Warhol

ecuecc
ecuecc
United Kingdom
2007/01/28, 02:44 PM
Hi guys,

Thanks for your previous comments. I took them on board and changed my workout to incorporate more compound movements. Below is the 3-day split I?ve been following for the last 3 weeks. Any suggestions/advice would be greatly appreciated.

Day 1: (Chest, triceps)

Dumbbell bench press
Dumbbell incline bench press
Dumbbell kickbacks
Single-arm dumbbell tricep extensions

Day 2: (Back, biceps)

One-arm dumbbell rows
Lateral pulldowns
Barbell bicep curls
Concentration Curls

Day 3: (Shoulders, legs)

Standing military press (w/barbell)
Dumbbell shoulder press
Dumbbell squats
Seated leg press
Seated leg curls

Warmup is still 5 mins on the treadmill.

I do a warmup set of 10 reps with half the weight I use for my main sets. Then I aim for 3 sets of 10.

Is there anything wrong in using a rowing machine after doing weights? I tend to row 1000m after doing weights, as a way to end my training sessions and a bit of a change from the treadmill, before stretching out. Obviously, rowing utilizes muscles I will have just trained ? is there are harm in this?

I have noticed improvements since changing my routine, and I have also started using whey protein ? 30g about 30 mins before my workout and 30g about 20-30 minutes after working out.

Any comments would be appreciated.

Thanks guys.
SFGiantsMVP
SFGiantsMVP
United States
2007/01/28, 03:14 PM
Your workout is still weak.

Day 1 ad 1 more chest in there and do some dips.

Day 2 ad chin-ups and your back workout is way weak add pull-ups and somrthing eles possible.

Day 3 no need for Double presses on shoulder ad something eles in there, get under a barbell to squat.

I see no traps, calves or abs.

Why no deadlifts, Lunges, Barbelled Squats, Shrugs,ect

Try Chest/ Bi's/Abs, Back/Shoulders and Legs/Tri's/Abs.

I just made a change too Back/Shoulders, Chest/Abs, Bi's/Tri's and Legs/Abs.

--------------
Knock-Um Down & Keep-Um Down!
bb1fit
bb1fit
United States
2007/01/28, 04:19 PM
On a 3 day a week, I would suggest 3 full body workouts. 3 sets max of anything. No overdoing it, forget 'exotic' isolation exercises.

--------------
"If it ain't broke, you aren't trying."

werre7stw
werre7stw
United States
2007/03/29, 02:11 PM
Oringanally i started with the 12 week mass program but i guess i have morphed it into a workout of my own. One thing i have been doing is changing up the sets and reps for example 15 12 10 down to 8 6 4 etc. I am thinking of switching to a 3 day full body workout just to keep things simple. I like the idea of working every muscle groups 3 days a week instead of sometimes only 1 or 2. Here is what i am doing now. Right now i am doing 8 6 4's

Monday Triceps and Shoulders
Military Press 3 sets
Standing Lateral Raises 3 sets
Triceps 3 sets push downs (Machine)
Triceps 3 sets dips
Shoulder Shrugs 3 sets
Abs 3 sets
20 mins cardio

Tuesday Legs and Back
Squats 2 sets
Leg Presses 4 sets
Extensions 3 sets
Leg Curl 3 sets
Back---Rows 6 sets
Pull Downs Machine 3 sets
Back Extension 3 sets
ABS

Wed Chest and Biceps
Bench Press 3 sets
Bench Press Incline 3 sets
Cable cross overs 3 sets
Machine chest exercise Pec Fly 3 sets
Biceps 4 sets of rotating each time something differnt

Thrusday Legs and Back
Squats 2 sets
Leg Presses 4 sets
Extensions 3 sets
Leg Curl 3 sets
Back---Rows 6 sets
Pull Downs Machine 3 sets
Back Extension 3 sets
ABS

Friday Triceps and Shoulders
Military Press 3 sets
Standing Lateral Raises 3 sets
Triceps 3 sets push downs (Machine)
Triceps 3 sets dips
Shoulder Shrugs 3 sets
Abs 3 sets
20 mins cardio

I have been adding strenght and inches with this program but I just question if i could make more progress with 3 full body workouts a week. Thanks.