Group: Women's Club

Created: 2011/12/31, Members: 525, Messages: 10844

A place for women to gather and share experiences, advice and information amongst themselves.

Join group

emotional eating

sissy1133
sissy1133
United States
2006/10/23, 05:36 PM
hello everyone! im so happy i have found people with the same problems as i have (LOL) no offense. I've struggled with compulsive eating disorder for many years. My weight has yo-yoed all over the place. I have lately managed to keep it at around 165 but I need to lose another 45 pounds to be healthy. I have had numerous emotional problems over the last year and I just can't seem to jump start myself. I know what I need to do but my emotional problems keep getting in the way. I feel sorta lost in all this. I sincerely hope there is someone out there that understands and could offer advice. I really just need someone to talk to.
yadmit
yadmit
Canada
2006/10/23, 05:57 PM
You've found the right place... do some poking around in the forums and you'll find lots of answers to your questions.

Welcome to FT!

t

--------------
I am training for birthdays.

Be here. Live. Love. Hope. Now. Faith. Believe. You. - Keith Urban

They always say time changes things, but you actually have to change them yourself. - Andy Warhol

daniellelouise
daniellelouise
Canada
2007/01/03, 05:32 PM
definatly feel your pain... i have very small bone structure so when i say that im 127 know that its bigger than I should be... every body is different so my advice would be try to focus on the things you are dealing with internally with more vigor than externally. i have come to beleive that ones motivation determines their sucess. if one wants to loose weight to be popular and attractive theyre less likely to reach their goal (at least this was true for me) your body is your home. i think that was the big realisation for me... you should have respect for your body, its an absolutely amaising thing, every body is. learn what it is that your body requires of you (but its ok to eat the things you want, just in moderation) try to find new outlets... when something has you down instead of going for the cookies (my main comfort food...) try going for a walk, i find it gives you some space and allows you to sort through your feelings more constructivly. there are many options, its just a matter of finding one that works for you.. also, having some one to talk to is VITAL!!! a friend, a sibling, therapist (that one wasnt for me but its great for others) some times someone anonimous can be great as well... hense this website!
photobunny
photobunny
United Kingdom
2007/01/10, 08:36 PM
Sissy I totally know where you are coming from, Ive struggled with emotional eating since my late teens. The only advice I can give to try and overcome it is to distract yourself, sometimes I find it really hard, if someone upsets me my immediate response is to go to the fridge and mooch. But then I realise I would undo all my hard work,you owe it to your body to be good to yourself, Stop and think why you suddenly have the urge to eat. Ask yourself whats really troubling you. Often just pausing and dealing with the situation will make me rethink what I am doing: that filling the void with junk will only make me feel worse.
sadia08
sadia08
United Kingdom
2007/01/11, 08:06 PM

============
Quoting from daniellelouise:

try to find new outlets... when something has you down instead of going for the cookies (my main comfort food...) try going for a walk, i find it gives you some space and allows you to sort through your feelings more constructivly.
=============

Hi my biggest enemy is chocolate.. and i tend to eat it more when i am anxious.. although going for a walk is a great distraction its not always possible for me as i am a single mom of 2 and life is very hectic!!! So what does one do to avoid this excessive easting?!?!
conan_0822
conan_0822
United States
2007/01/13, 01:05 PM
Sadia, I would guess that if you stuck to your guns for a few weeks by eating healthy and exercising, then you would see and feel the positive changes and that would as good a motivator as any :)
bb1fit
bb1fit
United States
2007/01/13, 01:24 PM
If more folks realized this, they would probably have a better handle on their weight. It is not normally 'planned' meals that add the pounds, it is the more unconcious type that do it. Things you eat without even thinking about it...like sitting on the couch munching on stuff just because...you get the idea. Once one gets a handle on this aspect, things usually start to work for them. No dieting will ever work with this type of unconcious eating.

--------------
"If it ain't broke, you aren't trying."

sara9683
sara9683
United States
2007/03/25, 12:25 PM
emotional eating....I definitely have that problem. It's not as bad as it used to be, but there are times I can tell when I'm just eating cuz of my moods and not cuz I'm hungry. It's a bad habit to start, and difficult to break, when food seems to be the only thing that "brings comfort" (even though in the end, it really doesn't)
Josephus
Josephus
United States
2007/04/06, 09:13 AM
I have extreme emotional eating problems: whether it be that I'm just bored, or depressed, I automatically go to the cupboard and usually find something chocolate. I'm not the person in my household you buys the groceries so I can't just stop buying them. Food is definitely a comfort to me :angry: I just want to be under control
Alison