Group: Experienced Exercise

Created: 2012/01/01, Members: 50, Messages: 19484

For intermediate and advanced individuals. Share and learn how to take your fitness to the next level!

Join group

Abdominal appearance.

Australia
2006/08/28, 10:20 AM
Hey,

I was wondering - when you see all those pictures of six packs and rock hard abs on magazines and other places are they the true appearance of the abdominals? or are they flexing or leaning forward to enhance the appearance? (of course such things as lighting helps - as it does with everybody and they use other techniques)I ask because i can see the outline clearly of my abs without flexing and moving side to side or running but when i flex they rip up as good as the pictures i see. I dont know if i need to up the intensity or training focus on the abs because nobody i talk to seems to know if this is the natural form of the six pack or if it actually can take the shape of those pictures or actors without flexing and standing still. Is this true? do you have to flex to get that washbvoard ripped look? or do you need to work harder to get that appearance?

Thanks - Kind Regards,

asimmer
asimmer
United States
2006/08/28, 10:52 AM
They are very lean, very developed, flexing and..... airbrushed!

--------------

Dont ever give up on a dream due to the amount of time it will take to achieve it. The time will pass anyway.
- Russ Ebsen

Aim high, time flies (fortune cookie saying)
bb1fit
bb1fit
United States
2006/08/28, 11:09 AM
You need to be very low bodyfat to have the ripped looking abs with veins, etc. I see mine for instance at around 10% bf, but to do a contest I need to drop about 5% more.

--------------
Maximus from Gladiator....Strength and Honor!
Australia
2006/08/28, 11:19 AM
So you reckon that if i can see the outline which is deep enough that i am fine and if i dropped my body fat id get the more ripped look that i would get when i flex? Becasue (when my pic comes up) youll see that i have quite well ripped abs but that was weeks ago and flexed and i have since increased but i only get that appearance when i flex not standing normal. But normal i can still visibly see it. Is this the ebst i can hope for?
bb1fit
bb1fit
United States
2006/08/28, 11:27 AM
Could be that your abs are not developed enough to see them well also? Why do you want such ripped abs anyway? Are you happy with the rest of your muscle size? You will surely not gain anymore trying to achieve that. And when you get there, then what? The media has made a frenzy out of ripped abs, they have a ton of products to sell. Most folks cannot get that low in bodyfat, or if they do, they look silly because they have no muscle.

--------------
FilthyPL3B
FilthyPL3B
United Kingdom
2006/08/29, 12:16 PM
3059365, I model part time and believe me, we do not always look that "ripped". I personally am slim (trying to rememdy this) so my abs are visible as i am quite lean. However, when it comes to a shoot, lighting, flexing and *cough* airbrush after touch makes the difference for that illusion of appearing to be "ripped".

I guess Swarm for the most part is correct on the pre-shoot regime, however i've never been asked to dehydrate myself.

I keep my BF% low (fluxuates around 10%, aiming for 8%) and continue to work out. If you have enough muscle on ur frame then try to lower ur BF%. Although, if u say u can see ur abs then to be fair u seem to be alright, just try to balance it all out, too thin with a six-pack will make u appear malnourished, or abs without a chest...it just doesnt work.
bb1fit
bb1fit
United States
2006/08/29, 12:30 PM
Nicely put filthy :)

============
Quoting from filthypl3b:

If you have enough muscle on ur frame then try to lower ur BF%. Although, if u say u can see ur abs then to be fair u seem to be alright, just try to balance it all out, too thin with a six-pack will make u appear malnourished, or abs without a chest...it just doesnt work.
=============

--------------