Group: Health & Fitness over 40

Created: 2011/12/31, Members: 206, Messages: 2480

Group dedicated to men and women over the age of 40 that care about their health and want to take the fitness and nutrition down the right path.

Join group

Post chemo and working out

801Nancy
801Nancy
United States
2006/02/05, 08:53 PM
Hi, I am new to the website and wanted to know if there are any others out there who have started working out again after having chemotherapy. I find that I have more aches and pains, and I know some of that is related to the effects of chemo. Can anyone give me a success story?
2006/02/09, 09:07 AM
Nancy what kind of 'aches and pains' are you experiencing?

It's very common to experience soreness after intense cardio or weight lifting regimens....

I am assuming the chemo has successfully treated your sickness....in that case you are your own success story...

Stick with your fitness program...and slowly you will see yourself transform...progressively strengthening your body little by little....just pay attention to the little things that will start becoming very easy....like carrying groceries, or picking up/putting something on top shelf, etc....not mentioning feeling better, looking better, and being much happier with yourself :)

Like I said, you're your own success story, so work out hard,stay strong, and be healthy.....

sstump1
sstump1
United States
2006/02/09, 11:46 AM
Chemotherapy is incredibly hard on the body in and of itself. If the Dr told you it's safe to start up physical activity then it's great that you have. As menace said though you can expect some aches and pains to begin with. A typical person starting back in a gym will likely get over these pains a bit quicker then yourself, just because of the toll chemo has on your body.

Congratulations are definately in order and you are your own success story more then anyone of us can tell you. If you can go through that and win then give yourself some credit. What you're embarking on now will be much easier then what you've already been through. Stick it out and in no time flat you'll see and fell a difference.
801Nancy
801Nancy
United States
2006/02/11, 01:52 PM
Thank you both for your kind words of encouragement! I really appreciate your responses. I have given them lots of thought! :love:

The aches are different than any I had felt previous to having chemo. They feel deeper and last longer. I think my brain starts sending the message "something is hurting, therefore the cancer must have come back." That just leads to a paranoid feeling which just makes the muscles tense up even more, leading to more aches....

But as you both pointed out - I need to consider myself a success story already, give myself some credit and realize the hard part is already over. I will commit myself to reversing the stats... it's a 70% chance the cancer WON'T come back. Today I am 100% cancer free. The aches are a sign I am healthy and my body is restoring itself. I will spend more time relaxing my mind and I will focus on my body getting stronger. I won't compare myself to who I was before, just to how much better I am today.

Thank you again for your help - it was just what I needed! Nancy
bb1fit
bb1fit
United States
2006/02/11, 05:59 PM
Congratulations on your committment to getting healthy. As you say, you are a success story already. Stories like yours inspire me, and should do so for other folks also. I cannot say enough about what you are doing and must have gone through and are still going through.

You need to shout your story to the world as far as I am concerned. :big_smile:

--------------
Strength and Honor!
Mojo_67
Mojo_67
United States
2006/02/15, 08:20 PM
I couldn't agree more bb1.
Nancy, you are a HUGE inspiration. Your words stagger me. What strength. You are mentally dominant.
I recall someone asking me once...what inspires you the most? My answer was...people. With that being said, I for one would just like to say thanks...as has been pointed out, inspiration at this level is like getting a shot of adrenaline for me.
Now lets start tackling those goals of yours...they pale in comparison...pale.

Welcome to FT nancy.

--------------
Seize the day!
bb1fit
bb1fit
United States
2006/02/16, 12:27 PM
Yeah, one of the contests I did had a wheelchair class. The ovation for these guys was heard by all us competitors in the back through a stone wall! It was inspiring to see those guys. Makes me mad every time I hear these folks with two good legs spouting all these reasons why they can't get in shape, don't move. Props to you!

--------------
Strength and Honor!
801Nancy
801Nancy
United States
2006/02/20, 10:43 AM
Ok, I'm sitting here with tears in my eyes after reading the new posts...I really am choked up! You guys are so awesome to rally around me this way. I can't begin to tell you what your beautiful words have done for me.

They say that cancer treatment is a triathalon, too. Instead of biking, swimming, and running, it is surgery, chemotherapy and radiation. Well, getting in shape should be a breeze then, just like you guys have pointed out. I'm glad you feel I can be an inspiration to you - it makes me all the more determined to get in the best shape ever. I can't fail at this, not with you all rooting for me!! :)

They say you never know when you might say something that will change someone's life. I want you all to know that you have done that for me. Even if no one ever posts to this thread again, I will have your good wishes with me always. Thanks again!
:love: Nancy
sstump1
sstump1
United States
2006/02/21, 08:51 PM
Nancy...I think all of us here would be more then interested to know about your progress.

There are a great bunch of people here and some of the most caring and most encouraging people I've ever met. I think many of us have found this a great place to come to for encouragement and strength to reach the next rung of that ladder. Feel free to make yourself at home and check in daily and read up what people are saying and let us know if you have any questions...I'm certain that we'd all be honored to offer advise to you and help out in any way we can.

Now get to writing down those goals and decide where you want to be in 6 months, 1 year, 5 years, 10 years and 20 years.

Also I love your #4 on your Health and Fitness Goals.
801Nancy
801Nancy
United States
2006/03/21, 01:09 PM
Null? and void? LOL

I resent that....
flyonthewall
flyonthewall
Canada
2006/03/21, 01:29 PM
You certainly are not null and void:laugh: Sounds like you're recovering well and good for you for getting back to a healthy lifestyle despite the obstacles. Your courage is inspiring, thanks for the update:)

--------------
Even if you are on the right track, you will get run over if you just sit there.
Mojo_67
Mojo_67
United States
2006/03/22, 02:25 PM
Nice to hear from you again Nancy. I was wondering how things were going with you. Glad to see you haven't lost your determination. That is key. Never quit. You are an inspiration. The fact that you keep the attitude "do what you gotta do" makes you one. Hold onto that attitude and draw from it. Strength from within can be very overcoming. I have recently started teaching myself how to draw from my own inner strength for the drive and determination I need to succeed. People can be inspirational not only to others, but to themselves as well. I love hearing from you and hope you keep us posted with your progress. Keep taking those baby steps and moving forward!

Mojo

--------------
Hungry and mean!