Group: Health & Fitness over 40

Created: 2011/12/31, Members: 206, Messages: 2480

Group dedicated to men and women over the age of 40 that care about their health and want to take the fitness and nutrition down the right path.

Join group

Hello my older friends

dendys
dendys
United States
2005/11/07, 06:20 PM
OK so today I started my powerlifting phase and had to audition for my cycling cert. I'm feeling my age, because 10 years ago my recover time was a meal. I'm having a full day of recovery and eating seems to be an effort. Yes I am eating and drinking water by the gallon, but come on....Are we really getting old?
Talk to me.
Dendy
mikencharleston
mikencharleston
United States
2005/11/07, 11:38 PM
Of course we are getting older but not old. I had my best ever power lift at 50. Of course it broke my hand and I had to decide that wisdom was the better part of valor. :) We do alright, I just wish there were more of us.

--------------
Mike
in Pensacola Now.
flyonthewall
flyonthewall
Canada
2005/11/08, 09:18 AM
It is kind of a drag. I still do all the activities I've always done plus some new ones--like lifting--. Everything I do hurts in some shape or form...tendinitis, stiff neck, lower back, bad hip, sore knees....I've never considered over 40 "old", but sometimes my body does feel that way. I guess years of improper form and bad posture eventually catches up with you. I'm now after my kids to make sure if they are going to do an activity that they do it right. Hopefully they won't run into the same problems. I'm tired of making "old people" noises every time I stand up:)

However, I wouldn't change a thing, I love being this age!

--------------
Even if you are on the right track, you will get run over if you just sit there.
2005/11/08, 10:26 AM
Yep. you guys all hit the important nails on the head. All of my PR's have come after 50. Recovery takes longer and bones and joints hurt more often for less reason. I don't make the "old" noises yet but my wife says I'm stoic anyway. Dendys, welcome to the boards. I know you'll make it more interesting and your obvious knowlege will be a great asset. Stick around young-un.:big_smile:

--------------
Sometimes life is like herding cats.

Charlie
dendys
dendys
United States
2005/11/08, 02:00 PM
My mom was telling me on the phone this morning that the new 30's is 40. We are not even middle age yet because people are living longer. So that was good news. For real I do feel somewhat young and I can keep up with the younger generation, it's just that darn recovery time.
I have four kids myself and hopefully I'm a good example on the outside, little do they know I shut the door and meditate(fall asleep) quite often.
Thanks for all being here, it's a fun site.
Dendy
Stevept
Stevept
United Kingdom
2005/11/08, 05:02 PM
Hi, everyone just thought I'd say Hello, new to FT, over 40 according to my birth certificate but that must be wrong. Great site, think I will come along for the ride.
dendys
dendys
United States
2005/11/09, 02:32 PM
Welcome, glad to share the 40's with you and our fellow partners. I'm doing O.k, except after doing deadlifts my left lat is a little strained. Ice and Advil go will together at the best of times. I'm also eating more carbs on this phase of my training so my husband thinks I'm on crack or something (LOL).. I told him "No babe, just carbs"
Anyways, have a great day
Dendy
bb1fit
bb1fit
United States
2005/11/19, 08:49 PM
Yep, I will be 54 next month, and feel probably in the best health of my life. Feel absolutely no difference than I did any time earlier I can remember. Doing the same things, feeling good, life is great!

--------------
If you don't stand for something, you will fall for anything....

dendys
dendys
United States
2005/11/23, 03:18 PM
Hi Everyone,
Getting ready to take off for the long week-end. I will be training of course and enjoying the kids. I would like to wish you all a Happy Thanksgiving and I'm sure I'll see everyone in the gym.
Best Wishes,
Dendy
hardnfit
hardnfit
United States
2006/01/02, 11:37 PM
Thanks. And a Happy New Year back to you':big_smile:

============
Quoting from dendys:

Hi Everyone,
Getting ready to take off for the long week-end. I will be training of course and enjoying the kids. I would like to wish you all a Happy Thanksgiving and I'm sure I'll see everyone in the gym.
Best Wishes,
Dendy
=============

--------------
mind and body, like man & wife, never always agree w/each other.
starbell
starbell
Canada
2006/01/10, 07:44 AM
We are only as old as we want to feel. However with all the training and other adventures activities that the ft over 40 crowd completes, the youth of today should take note. Longevity only comes with the healthy lifestyles that one leads. Look at the Okinawans they have the longest history of longevity.