Group: Men's Club

Created: 2011/12/31, Members: 252, Messages: 6838

A place for men to gather and share experiences, advice and information amongst themselves.

Join group

Ankle Rehab

artsyfartsy_26
artsyfartsy_26
United States
2005/07/13, 06:11 PM
Also, I sprained my ankle badly a while ago (1.5-2 months), and I still haven't got fully back to normal. I was running about 40 miles a week before that and now I have built it back up to 30 (though without my old speed). HOwever, I still haven't got back to doing squats. When would be a good time to start working on my legs again?
2005/07/13, 09:30 PM
Squats you could have started sooner than actual running....

ankle sprains last a LONG time...mine lasted 6-8 months....I had worst kind though(doctor told me it would have healed faster if I just broke it)...I would wrap it, apply heat and elevate it...especially at night....

do stretches for your ankle...to build back the flexibility/strength....start slowly....

before running I hope you are using athletic tape to secure the ankles...sprained ankles are even more likely to be reinjured if you start putting stress on them before they fully heal...

squats cause considerably less stress on the ankles...because you're not constantly in motion and putting stress on them...especially if you tape them really well...and other exericse like machines...you could have been doing right away...leg extensions/curls bear no stress on the ankles...especially while seated....only think is be careful on the calf exercises....start light and work yourself to higher weights...and be sure to use as much range of motion as you can....stretch your ankles after leg workouts....

arondaballer
arondaballer
United States
2005/07/14, 12:00 PM
Stretches, Hot/Cold Therapy, and Proprioception training are excellent for recovery. My freshman year I had a sprain so bad it ripped the tendon right off the bone. It still bothers me at times, but I've gotten it a lot better by doing all that.

--------------
I firmly believe that any man's finest hour, the greatest fulfillment of all that he holds dear, is the moment when he has worked his heart out in a good cause and lies exhausted on the field of battle-victorious.
--Vince Lombardi
"Decide what you want, decide what you are willing to exchange for it. Establish your priorities and go to work." H. L. Hunt

tf1016
tf1016
United States
2005/10/31, 07:56 PM
I sprained my ankle playing basketball and I was wondering if anyone can tell me where I can find a good rehab program?
7707mutt
7707mutt
United States
2005/11/01, 12:26 PM
I had one back in 89 that still gives me nightmares. I spent from sept 89 to feb90 in a cast. I went thru 4 months of physical therapy, got custome orthics made for my shoes and still re-sprained it walking on flat surfaces. My ankle only got better that summer of 1990 by my riding a mountain bike all over I mean all over. I lived in Olean, ny at the time a small town, hell a few years later I actuall ran around most of it. After a few months of biking I could actually "stand" on the ankle. Now this is not a cure all and I would suggest going to a doc if you can. This is just what worked for me.

--------------
Less Talk, More Chalk!

7707mutt@freetrainers.com
gangstershoes
gangstershoes
United States
2005/11/07, 09:26 AM
I seem to roll my ankle at least every 6 months, be it basketball, raquetball, or just walking down the stairs wrong. LMAO!!!! The best story I have for this is the time my daughter went up about 5 stairs, and I came down to meet her and walk her back down them so she wouldn't fall. Well I held her hand, and my first step I took I was looking at her and I twisted my ankle and fell down the stairs. LMAO!!! I still laugh at myself for that one to this day. Looking up at my 2 year old daughter looking at me like "WTF dad". I've found that when you feel your ankle start to roll, you need to just fall vs. trying to resist it and break something. The rehab is just what everyone has been saying. elevate, heat, and ice with the occasional gentle stretching and massage. good luck.
wow, I cracked myself up with that comment.