Group: Specific Diets & Nutrition

Created: 2012/01/01, Members: 104, Messages: 22775

With so many diets and nutritional plans out there, you can get lost. Find out what works best for others and share your experiences!

Join group

Going over Fat g, should I be concerned?

CristalBelle
CristalBelle
United States
2005/01/11, 01:10 PM
I input what I will be eating today, and while I will be much closer to my caloric, carb, and protien goals, I will be going over on fat grams by about 12 grams. Should I really worry about this, or chalk it up to not having too much control over dinner, and be happy I will actually hit 2000 calories today?
hecdarec
hecdarec
United States
2005/01/11, 01:15 PM
What kind of fat is it? Where is the fat coming from? In my opinion when you say things like "chalk it up to not having too much control over dinner" you are trying to give yourself an out. Please do not get angry at me.

--------------
I am from Philadelphia, for all the people who keep posting the infamous where are you from thread.
CristalBelle
CristalBelle
United States
2005/01/11, 01:20 PM
Ummm..not sure what kind of fat it is. Fat from peanut butter, tunafish, and chicken would be the main sources, other than the the small amounts of fat from whole wheat bread, a handful of wheat crackers, and some rice with my dinner. The "not much control over dinner part" is....we are POOR. We got a gift certificate to a resturaunt, and seeing as how we only have a can of soup, a turkey pot pie, and 1/4 bag of french fries left at home, we are going there to eat rather than not eating at all. I got on the resturaunts menu, and found what I will eat. It's a chicken/veggie stir fry with rice(probably won't eat the rice) Trying to do the best with what's avaiable :)
hecdarec
hecdarec
United States
2005/01/11, 01:35 PM
I didnt think there was any fat in tune and chicken unless you are eating the skin. If that is the case, you might want to stop. Otherwise I wouldnt be too concerned. I grew up poor so I know where you are coming from, other than the fact that I didnt go around telling everybody that I was poor.

--------------
I am from Philadelphia, for all the people who keep posting the infamous where are you from thread.
CristalBelle
CristalBelle
United States
2005/01/11, 01:46 PM
sorry, sometimes I forget that not everyone knows what my situation is. I thought you did from previous posts and were being sarcastic. Normally, when people on here ask for advice on diet, even those who ask frequently like myself, you tend to think that they can just go get what is needed, and I can't, so I tell people what we have to work with so they don't think I am "giving myself a way out" Like I said, I'm trying to do the best that I can and sorry if being upfront about my situation so I get the best advice for where I am at isn't ok to you.
hecdarec
hecdarec
United States
2005/01/11, 01:57 PM
I understand that you are poor, but couldnt you have purchased healthy alternatives to turkey pot pie and french fries? Like I said, I grew up poor so I know what it is like, but I also grew up proud and determined, and I would not allow being poor stop me from accomplishing my goals. Being blunt, I think that you are using it as an excuse to set yourself up to fail. I understand that I willprobably get a rash of shit from alot of people for speaking my mind, and I am not trying to be an ass, just real.

--------------
howdiekat
howdiekat
United States
2005/01/11, 01:58 PM
why not get a bag of frozen vegetables instead of fries. you can get the generic brand for 99 cents at most grocery stores. i know what it's like to be on a limited budget -- my college years were a lesson in survival. on more than one occasion i've eaten tuna and lima beans and brussels sprouts for weeks straight. just know that there is a way around everything, no matter what your financial situation is.

--------------
i wish you ill, ice-t.

margarine is a liar who announces, "i am butter!"
CristalBelle
CristalBelle
United States
2005/01/11, 02:21 PM
the stuff we have left is the stuff that is never eaten, or the stuff that we get given by parents ie. the single turkey pot pie and bag of fries. We pay our bills. No money for food, just enough for gas to get us to and from work until the next check.

I am proud of the work I am doing and I'm not giving up. If I was, why would I be going to the gym at 5 in the morning to work on the eliptical trainer? There is a difference between having enough money to buy cheap food in order to make the right choices and not having enough money to buy food period. WE don't really have a choice right now.
Anni313
Anni313
United States
2005/01/11, 02:23 PM
I agree with Hec and I agree with Raven. I believe that we have a responsibility to the people who come here to be honest and forthright. When we see that errors are being made we have a responsibility to educate and help correct.
Enabling someone to continue doing the wrong thing is inappropriate.

Cristal I am certain that you are angry and upset and for that I am sorry. You have been here long enough and should have read enough by now to know where your fats are coming from and if they are good or bad. You should also know that cutting up a fresh potato is cheaper than buying a bag of frozen french fries.

If anyone is suffering the effects of poverty and needs help with a meal, by all means get on here and tell us what is in your cupboard and we will help you make the most of a really hard situation.

--------------
Anni

Quoting Michael: Your future is beconing, pay attention to the call.
CristalBelle
CristalBelle
United States
2005/01/11, 02:30 PM
thats the whole point Anni...thats what we have right now. A can of soup, a turkey pot pie and the stupid bag of french fries. That is all we have, and we don't have any money for anything else. It is upsetting, because I am trying to do whats right, and people are acting like I have an extra 10 dollars to go buy some good healthy andcheap food like potatoes, and cans of tuna, and frozen veggies, and bulk beans, but I don't. We don't have a penny other than the gas money, and even that we had to borrow from parents.

As far as the fats, fat from tuna and chicken and peanut butter isn't bad, and I know that, I was just curious as to if the amount was going to be detrimental. I'm not trying to do the wrong things, I am trying to do the right things, but it's not a possibility when you aren't even able to make that decicion. I guess I'll just do my eliptical, and eat when we have food, and that'll be the end of the situation. Sorry to have riled you all up.
howdiekat
howdiekat
United States
2005/01/11, 02:37 PM
ok here's a suggestion -- if your parents are giving you food, i.e. the single pot pie and bag of fries, can you ask them to let you go to the store with them? yes i know beggars can't be choosers, but i bet you could put together a healthy meal for less than the cost of a bag of frozen fries and a pot pie.

--------------
i wish you ill, ice-t.

Anni313
Anni313
United States
2005/01/11, 02:40 PM
Cristal that is exactly what you should do. Eat what is available when there are no other options. There is nothing wrong with a bowl of soup or a pot pie for dinner, either one will warm you and fill you and send you to bed with a full tummy and sometimes that's the best you can hope for. It's also more than a lot of people can say.

When times are hard, as they are for so many, what you are eating is really not the issue at all. The most important thing is that you have something to eat and that you are warm and dry and together.

--------------
Anni

hecdarec
hecdarec
United States
2005/01/11, 02:42 PM
I also hate to tell you but you are not going to lose much weight by riding the eliptical. You would be better off weight training and doing HIIT. The eliptical is only going to bur calories as you do it, once you are done the calories are done. Weightlifting and HIIT continue to burn calories even after you are done working out. I honestly just want to help you, not be a dick.

--------------
CristalBelle
CristalBelle
United States
2005/01/11, 02:45 PM
I wish it were that nice. We got a box of food from my in law's for Christmas, and that is gone. We asked them for help last year when things got this bad, and my father in law's response was telling me how when they were first married they lived off meat pies and top ramen. Yeah, thanks for the help dad. We don't have money for ramen and meat pies, and ramen is 10 cents a pac.

My mom helps out when she can, but she is on a limited income herself, and when we run out of what she has given us, then it's just tuff luck all the way around. We make too much money to get food stamps or any kind of help from our state, and the time I even mentioned asking for help from a church my husband threw a fit.

I just don't know what else to do besides keep working out, and just wait until things get better before I even look at diet.
howdiekat
howdiekat
United States
2005/01/11, 02:48 PM
maybe your husband needs a lesson in humility. why not ask the church for help? would he rather his family go hungry?

--------------
i wish you ill, ice-t.

CristalBelle
CristalBelle
United States
2005/01/11, 02:48 PM
I do lift weights too. I have been sooooooo good since the 1st. I do eliptical for 30 minutes at 5 in the morning 5 days a week, and then I do our little group of 5 weight machines at our apartment 3 times a week. I am really trying.............
hecdarec
hecdarec
United States
2005/01/11, 02:50 PM
Well good for you. Sounds to me like your husband is a bumb. Why dont you have his friend who comes over and plays on your computer help out?

--------------
CristalBelle
CristalBelle
United States
2005/01/11, 02:55 PM
howdie..that goes into a whole other issue that unless you want a long story (and I know you don't) it is safe to say that yes, he would rather go hungry than rely on God(ie. the church) for help. That one is just going to take time.
CristalBelle
CristalBelle
United States
2005/01/11, 03:00 PM
No, my hubs is not a bumb(Hec, when you say stuff like that remember how you feel when people talk about your wife, very inflamitory statement) He works very hard, and so do I, we just have more bills than we have money. And no food. Also, just so everyone knows, I am 23, and my husband is 20. I know we still have a lot to learn, and life is deffinately teaching us, I was just asking a question, and didn't mean to get everyone (including myself) so upset.
howdiekat
howdiekat
United States
2005/01/11, 03:00 PM
you could always rely on the goodwill of the church and leave him to starve.

--------------
i wish you ill, ice-t.

CristalBelle
CristalBelle
United States
2005/01/11, 03:02 PM
lol.....I might have to seriously think about that one Howdie. :)
hecdarec
hecdarec
United States
2005/01/11, 03:06 PM
Sorry, I didnt mean a bumb. Wrong word. I just meant that he should swallow his pride and seek help from wherever he can get it. I did not mean for it to come across as it seemed. No disrespect intended. Either way I hope that all turns out well for you. Let me know if there is anything I can do to help you.

--------------
CristalBelle
CristalBelle
United States
2005/01/11, 03:12 PM
Hec, just keep being you. And yes, I agree that he should swallow his pride, but like I said before....that one is going to take time, and I know it, so I shouldn't complain.

On a side note, when we do get some money to buy groceries with, are there any healthier foods that we could keep in the cupboard so that if things ever get this bad again we would have better alternatives then french fries?
hecdarec
hecdarec
United States
2005/01/11, 03:15 PM
Tuna is cheap, canned veggies, Black beans (beans period), brown rice is cheap and will last forever.

--------------
CristalBelle
CristalBelle
United States
2005/01/11, 03:17 PM
I know canned tuna, and frozen veggies as those last until you open them, canned soups.....I can't think of anything else right now....?
CristalBelle
CristalBelle
United States
2005/01/11, 03:18 PM
ha ha ha ha...
Anni313
Anni313
United States
2005/01/11, 03:25 PM
Cristal here is my list of stuff that goes into my emergency box. I keep the box in store room so it doesn't get used at random. Obviously this goes into more than one box.

1 pkg toilet paper
1 box tampons
1 bottle of body wash
1 tube toothpaste
1 box laundry soap

6 cans tuna
6 cans corned beef hash
6 cans salmon
12 cans assorted soup
6 cans black beans
12 cans assorted veggies

1 pkg brown rice
1 pkg elbow macaroni

2 $20 gift cards to my favorite grocery store

If you want the list to the "I don't feel good and want my mom" box, let me know.

--------------
Anni

CristalBelle
CristalBelle
United States
2005/01/11, 03:35 PM
Anni, that is exactly what I was looking for! I am going to print this our for our next grocery trip so we will have an emergency box too. Also, I don't think the list for the "I want my mommy box" could hurt do you? List away!
hecdarec
hecdarec
United States
2005/01/11, 03:39 PM
What are the tampons for?

--------------
CristalBelle
CristalBelle
United States
2005/01/11, 03:40 PM
Putting a plug in it :big_smile:
Anni313
Anni313
United States
2005/01/11, 03:43 PM
lol Okay Cristal. This is the box we put together for my oldest daughter when she mercifully moved away from home.

1 Thermometer
1 box Puffs Plus
1 new bottle of Tylenol
1 new bottle of Nyquil (Yes, I know it's yucky)
1 heating pad
1 box soda crackers
6 cans 7up
3 cans chicken noodle soup
2 pkg sugar free jello
2 cans applesauce
1 pair of warm socks
1 romance novel
1 video of movie you can cry to, we chose Beaches
1 note from your mom that says "I love you, do you have a fever? Call me!"

If you pack this carefully it will fit in one box. Be sure to label the box and put it in your bedroom closet. Inventory once a year and replace expired items.

--------------
Anni

CristalBelle
CristalBelle
United States
2005/01/11, 03:47 PM
Anni, these are great!! The one thing I will add to the last box, is baby food. Pears and Pineapple gerber has gotten my through many a sick day! Thank you so much!
asimmer
asimmer
United States
2005/01/11, 03:51 PM
cristalbelle - aren't there any food shelves where you live? There is nothing wrong with getting help in the hard times. You pay taxes - use some of the resources that your taxes go for. i was on assistance when i had my daughter - you can actually get a lot of cheap, healthy food. beans, rice, frozen veggies, tuna, cheese, skim milk, oatmeal...

Good luck! I hope your situation improves.

PS is your hubby still smoking???

--------------
An old thought for the New Year - \'If you fall down seven times, get up eight\'
What matters is that you continue on.
CristalBelle
CristalBelle
United States
2005/01/11, 04:15 PM
Asimmer...there are places where you can go to get help with food, but they look at your income and whether or not you are working. We are both working, and make more than is allowed to recieve assistance. It's a stupid reason to not have any money, but we were so excited to be married and on our own, that our debt just far outways our income.

And, I am happy to report, that my husband has not a smoke since the 23rd of December. A lot of his smoking was due to habit/environment, and he now works with all non-smokers, and when he has had cravings, he uses the nicorette gum my mom bought him. That right there should show some extra money over the next few months, because smoking is not cheap!
asimmer
asimmer
United States
2005/01/12, 06:05 AM
Have you considered debt consolidation? Or debt counseling - it really eased our budget to consolidate our debt and they got most of the cards to lower or stop the interest payments, so we are compounding less debt.
It sucks when you don't have any money but you aren't 'poor' enough on paper to qualify - one of the problems with the system.

Anyhow - keep trudging along - and keep working out! Your health is priceless!!!

--------------
An old thought for the New Year - \'If you fall down seven times, get up eight\'
What matters is that you continue on.
CristalBelle
CristalBelle
United States
2005/01/12, 08:47 AM
I dont even think we would qualify for debt consolidation. WE only have 1 credit card with a 300$ limit. WE do however have 2 car payments, car insurance, and our rent, along with the regular water and electricity, and phone bills. I just keep thinking that at the end of the month we will get Tyler's first paycheck from his new job, and then things should even out. I am trying to stay positive!
WAnglais1
WAnglais1
United States
2005/01/12, 10:29 AM
Staying positive is one thing. But you actually have to do something, too. I hate to sound like my parents, but when I got out of college in the late 80s, my first radio job I made a whopping $4,500 that first year...January to December. There was one week when I had Bisquik and Kool-Aid. Another when I had Grape Nuts and Kool-Aid. It was then I learned there are things out there to help. A lot of people said see your Church. Good point. Do it. If your husband doesn't want that, let him go out and forage for his own food. There's also government assistance, but I have no idea if you qualify. Short term relief is one thing. There is nothing wrong with needing help for whatever reason. Not trying to bust anyone's chops, but just letting you know there is help.
ATIGER
ATIGER
United States
2005/01/12, 11:56 AM
Cristalbelle, alhtough that debt you listed can be very high, at least you can keep it going down. If the debt was alot of credit cards, most people pay but never lower their balances. Keep it up and stay away from those credit cards. As for debt consolidation, i would advise to stay away from that at all costs unless it was using real estate. You have to be careful because some organizations call chapter 13 bankruptcy "debt consolidation". That will completely destroy your credit and it will cost alot more in the long run. Good luck
Carivan
Carivan
Canada
2005/01/12, 03:01 PM
Man oh man, sorry to butt (bud) in here, but the only thing that will help you at this point, is to geta grip on your financial situation and not to worry about how many grams of anything.
There are food banks, religous groups, municiple agencies, etc, that can put food on your table. They will even deliver it in some cases.
I don't think the USA and Canada are to different in those matters?

--------------
If you can dream it, if you can imagine it, then you can be it, you can do it. If it is meaningful enough, and you commit the energy of your passion, you will.

Ivan
carivan@freetrainers.com
Montreal Canada
CristalBelle
CristalBelle
United States
2005/01/12, 03:05 PM
We are trying very hard to pay off our cars in an order to live a "normal" life. We have dreams just like everyone else. As far as I know, we don't qualify for any state help as our income is too high, but I am thinking of going to the church I grew up in and seeing if they can help, or if they know of any agencies that can.
Carivan
Carivan
Canada
2005/01/12, 03:13 PM
That would be the best start for you. You might cry, but you will get what you need.
From reading all your posts, you really need the food for survival. Do it tomorrow!

--------------
If you can dream it, if you can imagine it, then you can be it, you can do it. If it is meaningful enough, and you commit the energy of your passion, you will.

Ivan
carivan@freetrainers.com
Montreal Canada
mariamtokal
mariamtokal
Egypt
2008/04/01, 02:27 PM
i over my fat for today ..should i worry about this
thnx
ecle5c
ecle5c
United States