Group: Experienced Exercise

Created: 2012/01/01, Members: 50, Messages: 19484

For intermediate and advanced individuals. Share and learn how to take your fitness to the next level!

Join group

is one set enough?

thegoof
thegoof
Canada
2002/06/08, 11:02 AM
numerous sources around the internet have said that doing one set of an excercise to failure is just as effective as doing multiple sets. if this is true, for gaining mass, how many different excercises of one set would you do per muscle group?
jbennett
jbennett
United States
2002/06/08, 07:46 PM
Sure, that's true. If, and only if, you do 3 to 7 warmup sets! ;)

--------------
--JBennett
"I've up-ed my intensity.... now up yours!"
"Pain is only weakness leaving the body."
jbennett
jbennett
United States
2002/06/09, 12:55 AM
OK, sarcasm aside. It works for only a few people who, like Dorian Yates, don't have much of a problem packing on muscle mass. For us regular guys, multiple sets are really the only way.

--------------
--JBennett
"I've up-ed my intensity.... now up yours!"
"Pain is only weakness leaving the body."
Philia2
Philia2
France
2002/06/09, 05:58 AM
No wait a minute, don't misunderstand this. The "one set theory" is quite clever and you could all learn something from it. I'll explain:

It's not the fact of just doing one single set of a given exercise (and then take a shower and go back home) No, it's to do ONE set with the SAME weight and number of reps that wont give you much result. So YES you are just doing ONE set BUT with DIFFERENT weight (and to failure) every single time. Understand?
That's the idea of the whole thing.

The fact that the muscle fibres don't get enough stimulated if you do multiple sets with the same resistance.
Doing one set of what I just explained will not only give better results but is a lot more effective as well.

Now you got people who believe in this and people who are against (like the powerlifters with their 5 x 5, to mention some)
I'm not telling you my personal opinion here (because I believe we got more than that), I'm just explaining you the facts.

--------------
- Nina :o) La vie est toujours aussi belle.....
muscles-AU
muscles-AU
Australia
2002/06/09, 06:14 AM
I believe that Philia 2 is correct in saying that but I wouldn't recoment doing this all the time!Its good for stunning your muscles of a plateu etc.I would use it every two weeks or so to get the maximum benifit ie:max hypertrophy from the exercise.And realy tear the fibers apart for max growth.But dont forget this is hardcore and no good for the softharted!You have to go to failure!!!!!!!!!!!!

--------------
No pain No gain!So keep lifting to failure!
qualters
qualters
United States
2002/06/09, 06:14 PM
I wouldnt suggest this form of training to gain mass, but like muscles said maybe to stun your muscles a little. The whole idea is not for me though. Good Luck!

--------------
BQ
AMERICAN MADE
yury
yury
United States
2002/06/12, 09:37 AM
I've tried the one set theory for a month, it worked for aboujt 2-3 weeks then it just stopped. Ilike the multiple set one theres more intensity in that one.

--------------
** an open minded person that loves knowledge about whatever he/ she pleases is a smart person** - yury
rpacheco
rpacheco
United States
2002/06/12, 10:23 AM
Not to give my personal opinion, but doesn't doing one set (even with different weights) stimulate the muscles for only a very short period of time? I don't think that this can actually spur hypertrophy even when done to failure...unless the set is done in a 1/2 hour to 45 mins.

Anyway, that's just the theoretical aspect. As far as the physical one, I can see this actually as more of a supplement to (or substitute for some days) a complete training regimen (as the ones here at ft).

--------------
**_Robert_**
Pain is temporary; glory is forever!