Group: Competitive Bodybuilding & Fitness

Created: 2012/01/01, Members: 21, Messages: 5367

Discuss the process of preparing for a competition on the sport of body building, fitness and more!

Join group

Splenda?

Ksee128
Ksee128
United States
2004/08/24, 11:56 AM
I have been hearing conflicting information about Splenda and I was just curious about anyone's experience with it here. Some of the side effects are bloating, gas, migraines, constipation, etc. Has anyone here had that problem. I have been experiecing severe headaches as well as bloating for a while now and I am trying to determine what the cause is. Thanks for any help.

KAsey
2004/08/24, 12:04 PM
It just makes me slightly suicidal and gave me collie head..:big_smile:

Seriously my wife and I have used it for a few years and not experienced the side effects you mention. Do a search here. There are other posts on splenda and I've never heard of these symptoms from anybody.

--------------
Dances with Buffalos

Charlie
skeys
skeys
United States
2004/08/24, 07:27 PM
I have been using splenda for a while and I have never had any problems with it either.
bb1fit
bb1fit
United States
2004/08/24, 10:29 PM
Sucralose is produced by chlorinating sugar (sucrose). This involves chemically changing the structure of the sugar molecules by substituting three chlorine atoms for three hydroxyl groups.

Few human studies of safety have been published on sucralose. One small study of diabetic patients using the sweetener showed a statistically significant increase in glycosylated hemoglobin (Hba1C), which is a marker of long-term blood glucose levels and is used to assess glycemic control in diabetic patients. According to the FDA, "increases in glycosolation in hemoglobin imply lessening of control of diabetes.

Research in animals has shown that sucralose can cause many problems in rats, mice, and rabbits, such as:

Shrunken thymus glands (up to 40% shrinkage)
Enlarged liver and kidneys.
Atrophy of lymph follicles in the spleen and thymus
Increased cecal weight
Reduced growth rate
Decreased red blood cell count
Hyperplasia of the pelvis
Extension of the pregnancy period
Aborted pregnancy
Decreased fetal body weights and placental weights
Diarrhea
According to one source (Sucralose Toxicity Information Center), concerning the significant reduction in size of the thymus gland, "the manufacturer claimed that the sucralose was unpleasant for the rodents to eat in large doses and that starvation caused the shruken thymus glands.

Bellin reviewed studies on rats starved under experimental conditions, and concluded that their growth rate could be reduced by as much as a third without the thymus losing a significant amount of weight (less than 7 percent). The changes were much more marked in rats fed on sucralose. While the animals' growth rate was reduced by between 7 and 20 percent, their thymuses shrank by as much as 40 percent. (New Scientist 23 Nov 1991, pg 13)"
A compound chemically related to sucrose, 6-chloro-deoxyglucose, is known to have anti-fertility and neurotoxic effects, although animal studies of sucralose have not shown these effects.

According to the FDA's "Final Rule" report, "Sucralose was weakly mutagenic in a mouse lymphoma mutation assay." The FDA aslo reported many other tests as having "inconclusive" results.

--------------
If you don't stand for something, you will fall for anything....

bb1fit@freetrainers.com
2004/08/24, 10:34 PM
Ron, MAN, you gotta say that in english. I just can't start medical school until next month. Is 4 or 5 packs of splenda per day gonna hurt me?:surprised:

My rats all seem to be ok. But I need to be sure.

--------------
Dances with Buffalos

Charlie
bb1fit
bb1fit
United States
2004/08/24, 10:40 PM
The problem is that there is conflicting information, and the FDA chose to ignore lots of it. This in itself worries me, and sends up loads of red flags. Usually when the long term effects are found out, many people have suffered first. I would warn you to maybe cut your consumption a bit till more concrete data is found. I have read many studies on sucralose that are not pretty. I myself would not use it.

--------------

bb1fit@freetrainers.com
2004/08/24, 10:52 PM
10-4 I use it in my coffee in the morning. Guess I'll go back to sugar. Thanks...BTW when you review each chapter as you write that book, be sure to ask yourself if Charlie would understand it. If I get it everybody will.:big_smile:

--------------
Dances with Buffalos

Charlie
bb1fit
bb1fit
United States
2004/08/24, 10:59 PM
LOL Charlie...here is a bit more for you to read...check out just how few studies have been done on it...

Saccharin 2374
Aspartame 598
Cyclamates 459
Acesulfame-K 28
Sucralose 19

*Number of studies determined by MEDLINE search.

In terms of safety, it is not just the original substance (sucralose) that one needs to worry about. As the FDA notes, "Because sucralose may hydrolyze in some food products...the resulting hydrolysis products may also be ingested by the consumer."

Is There Any Long-Term Human Research?

None. According to the Medical Letter on Drugs & Therapeutics, "Its long-term safety is unknown." According to the Sucralose Toxicity Information Center, the "Manufacturer's '100's of studies' (some of which show hazards) were clearly inadequate and do not demonstrate safety in long-term use."

Is Sucralose Absorbed or Metabolized?

Despite the manufacturer's claims to the contrary, sucralose is significantly absorbed and metabolized by the body. According to the FDA's "Final Rule" report, 11% to 27% of sucralose is absorbed in humans, and the rest is excreted unchanged in feces. According to the Japanese Food Sanitation Council, as much as 40% of ingested sucralose is absorbed.

Plasma sucralose has been reported to have a half-life of anywhere from 2 to 5 hours in most studies, although the half-life in rabbits was found to be much longer at about 36 hours.

About 20% to 30% of absorbed sucralose is metabolized. Both the metabolites and unchanged absorbed sucralose are excreted in urine. The absorbed sucralose has been found to concentrate in the liver, kidney, and gastrointestinal tract. According to The Sucralose Toxicity Information Center, sucralose is broken down "into small amounts of 1,6-dichlorofructose, a chemical which has not been adequtely tested in humans."

Don't let these large companies fool you. There is no magic alternative to sugar when it comes to sweeteners. You simply can not have your cake and eat it too when it comes to this area. It is far too early to tell, as not enough people have consumed this product to observe large numbers of adverse effects.

--------------

bb1fit@freetrainers.com
2004/08/24, 11:03 PM
As usual, you da man. My cupcakes are sweetened with real sugar...FFFWWWWEEEEWWWW.

--------------
Dances with Buffalos

Charlie
bb1fit
bb1fit
United States
2004/08/24, 11:10 PM
This is from just last month....

Splenda - Here We Go Again
"We've done a great job of redefining sweetness, and it's great to see it pay off," says Anne Rewey, Splenda marketing director for Ft. Washington, Pennsylvania-based McNeil Corp. "We're committed to the leadership position in
this market."

Sucralose (Splenda®) is a chlorocarbon and is more accurately compared to ingesting tiny amounts of chlorinated pesticides. The chlorocarbons have long
been known for causing organ, genetic, and reproductive damage. It should be no surprise then, that the testing of sucralose reveals it causes up to 40% shrinkage of the thymus: a gland that is the very foundation of our immune
system. Sucralose also causes swelling of the liver and kidneys, calcification of the kidney, fertility issues in male rates, and gastrointestinal problems in pregnant rats. If you experience kidney pain, cramping, swelling, an irritated bladder, or blood in your urine after using sucralose in Splenda, stop use immediately.

Sucralose (trichlorogalactosucrose) was approved by the FDA in 1988 as a tabletop sweetener and for use in a number of desserts, confections, and nonalcoholic beverages. Splenda is approximately 600 times sweeter than sugar.
But the sweetness is forced, not like a natural sugar the body uses for fuel.

People forget that sweetness is a by-product of foods; a bonus so to say. Forced sweetness, revved-up sweetness, and 'super-sized' artificial sweetness - all
altered foods - are a trap for people to get addicted to sweeter tastes. People with eating disorders, children who are just learning about food, and those with illnesses are being sold yet another 'bill of rubbish.'

I took the following information directly from a statement from the manufacturer
of Splenda:

'Sucralose is made from sugar, but is derived from sucrose (sugar) through a process that selectively substitutes three atoms of chlorine for three hydrogen-oxygen groups on the sucrose molecule. No artificial sweetener made in
the laboratory is going to be neither natural to the body nor safer than unprocessed sugar', they claim.

Corporate researchers also claim that the chlorine atoms in Splenda have been altered to be so tightly bound, they create a molecular structure that is exceptionally stable under extreme pH and temperature conditions.

I do not agree that the presence of chlorine is safe in any form, and feel this "concept" of altering foods is dangerous to human health any way you slice it.

The corporations say sucralose is safe. They said the same thing about aspartame, and look at the rampant disease and obesity taking over America since aspartame was put into the food supply over twenty years ago.

Over the past twenty years of aspartame research, I have learned to value independent research results above those that are funded by the corporations. If you had the luxury of selecting which research results to submit as final
payment for your laboratory study, would you submit the good or the bad results?

Aspartame research is the symbol of proof this predicament exists today, and history appears to be repeating itself with Splenda.

Any animal that eats chlorine (especially on a regular basis) is at risk of cancer. The Merck Manuel and OSHA 40 SARA 120 Hazardous Waste Handbook states that chlorine is a carcinogen and emergency procedures should be taken when
exposed via swallowing, inhaling, or through the skin. Currently, the safety of chlorine added to our public water supply is questioned as a cause of cancer. Now chlorine is being marketed to children in diet colas, sweetener packets, ice creams, yogurts, processed foods, gums, candies, and mints.

It is important to remember that an individual's reaction to sucralose, as with aspartame, depends upon how much is used and how often. Age, present and past health status, overall dietary habits, and the degree of other toxins present inside the body also influence individual health responses to toxic chemicals in foods.

Corporate researchers claim sucralose has been thoroughly tested. Actually they have stated that sucralose is the most tested food additive in history. I quote,
"...more than 100 studies on the safety of sucralose designed to meet the highest scientific standards have been conducted and evaluated over the course of 20 years."

They stated, verbatim, the same thing about aspartame. Consumers are witnessing the same state of affairs in many ways. As with NutraSweet - no human studies
were done, corporate pay rolled researchers were responsible for the results submitted to the FDA, to the media, and to AMA journals, only selective research
results were reproduced, millions of dollars have been spent on advertising, and the lack of 'government involvement' is clearly documented amid the thousands of
consumer complaints.

I don't drink from my swimming pool, fish tank, or public tap. Do you?

--------------

bb1fit@freetrainers.com
bigandrew
bigandrew
United States
2004/08/24, 11:21 PM
i drink fromt he tap alot at work, I mix it with my crystal light, cause I drink so much.......should I not use the tap water anymore? I mean i thought the U.S had the safest and cleanest water supply in the world?

--------------
if you kick a tiger in the @$$ , you then have to descide what to do with the teath end.

any guy can hold a girl by the hand, but only the select few can hold her by her feet!
2004/08/24, 11:25 PM
Water?? Never touch the stuff...fish fornicate in it. W.C.Fields

--------------
Dances with Buffalos

Charlie
bigandrew
bigandrew
United States
2004/08/24, 11:30 PM
its ok, we all came from the same place

--------------
if you kick a tiger in the @$$ , you then have to descide what to do with the teath end.

any guy can hold a girl by the hand, but only the select few can hold her by her feet!
bb1fit
bb1fit
United States
2004/08/25, 10:46 AM
Tap water is fine. You may choose to filter it in some areas.

--------------

bb1fit@freetrainers.com
2004/08/25, 11:04 AM
I have lived a long enough time to see government studies flip flop like a mackeral on a hot boat deck. The miracle happens, we're all saved, a corporation makes a fortune and then people start getting sick. Thats been the trend for my lifetime.

The bottom line seems to be to try to consume unprocessed foods that are unaltered from the way God or kizmet made them. Tough job.

Is the chlorine in thereports above the same stuff used to treat our tap water?? If so aren't we all pretty much screwed anyway? Isn't the bottled water I buy chlorinated unless I buy distilled water.

On a side note,my bank of batteries on the boat needed water the other day. All instructions on battery maintainance say to use distilled water. I had none and substituted tap water. Will my batteries get cancer? J/K, I can't help myself. I am curious about the other questions though.

--------------
Dances with Buffalos

Charlie
Ksee128
Ksee128
United States
2004/08/25, 01:44 PM
Thanks for all of the information. I don't think I'll be using Splenda anymore. If I NEED that sweet flavor, I'll just use sugar (in moderation, of course).
bb1fit
bb1fit
United States
2004/08/27, 11:00 AM
It is ironic this discussion came up...it was no more than 2 weeks ago, my lead man at work was telling me his wife was having headaches and diarrhea, asked him what her diet was like, it wasn't out of the ordinary(she has been trying to eat better and was doing a good job), but she was using Splenda! Bingo!, light went off. Told him to have her stop using it and see what happens...well..take a guess! Headaches stopped and no more diarrhea. Living proof. Some folks may experience nothing of course, but if you do have any of these problems, you may want to investigate this avenue if you are using splenda.

--------------

bb1fit@freetrainers.com
Damselfly
Damselfly
United States
2004/08/28, 07:42 PM
Speaking of side affects. I used to use splenda in the morning and by afternoon I was inhaling all food in sight, I'm talking hungry mad! I'm guessing the splenda (although it's not supposed to) was spiking my blood sugar. I now only use Stevia, have any thoughts on Stevia BB1?

============
Quoting from bb1fit:

It is ironic this discussion came up...it was no more than 2 weeks ago, my lead man at work was telling me his wife was having headaches and diarrhea, asked him what her diet was like, it wasn't out of the ordinary(she has been trying to eat better and was doing a good job), but she was using Splenda! Bingo!, light went off. Told him to have her stop using it and see what happens...well..take a guess! Headaches stopped and no more diarrhea. Living proof. Some folks may experience nothing of course, but if you do have any of these problems, you may want to investigate this avenue if you are using splenda.

=============

--------------
Damselfly

Whoever said that sunshine brings happiness never danced in the rain. \"unknown\"
dfly411
dfly411
United States
2004/08/30, 06:43 AM
Wow, I switched over to Diet Rite from my Caffine Free Diet Coke about a month ago because I thought the Splenda it's sweetened with was better than the Aspartame in the Diet Coke.

After having read this post, I will say that I have had a constant headache in the afternoons all this month and thought they were due to allergies. I am going to go back to my previous drink of choice and see if the headaches stop.
roger23
roger23
Puerto Rico
2004/08/30, 02:17 PM
Hey, I've been having same doubts about all these artificial sweeteners. I personally don't use them separately on my foods but what worries me is that "protein shakes" all seem to be artificially sweetened either by sucralose, aspartame, or acesulfame-K .I still have not found one that does'nt have these artificial sweeteners, but I don't want to stop taking my protein shakes. Have any of you found any brand that isn't artificially sweetened???
2004/08/30, 02:34 PM
I have switched over from splenda to prozac.

--------------
Dances with Buffalos

Charlie
bb1fit
bb1fit
United States
2004/12/22, 11:50 AM
I know this is an old post, but worth another look. Sucralose is the generic name for the articifial sweetener Splenda. It is made in a laboratory by selectively substituting three hydrogen-oxygen groups on the sucrose (sugar) molecule with three atoms of chlorine.

This is why manufacturers can claim that sucralose is a
derivative of sugar and make it sound safer than other
sweeteners.

But sucralose is a chlorocarbon, and chlorocarbons have long been suspected of causing organ, genetic, and reproductive damage. Thus it is important to stress that if you experience kidney pain, cramping, or an irritated bladder after using sucralose you should stop using it immediately.

--------------

bb1fit@freetrainers.com
jonathanweaver
jonathanweaver
United States
2004/12/22, 12:44 PM
Old post, but a good one.

Ron - What do you know about Stevia and Sugar-in-the-raw? We switched from Sugar to Splenda to Stevia, and my boss prefers Sugar-in-the-raw.

Any thoughts/knowledge on these?
Thanks.

--------------
I will never grow up, just old.

Duct tape is like The Force. It has a light side, a dark side, and it holds the universe together.

- Carl Zwanzig

Jonathan
JustinE22
JustinE22
United States
2004/12/23, 03:59 PM
I don't use alot of splenda and do not consume it everyday but i do like to use 1 packet in a cup of coffee if you don't experience side effects then is it ok to continue use? Or is using regular surgar or surgar in the raw better? but won't the regular surgar give you an unsuline spike? Or is this just a loose loose situation.
JustinE22
JustinE22
United States
2004/12/23, 04:05 PM
scratch that i just read that my protein powder that i use post workout is sweetened by sucralose aka splenda so i do consume more splenda than i originally thought but i haven't experienced and side effects. I'm guessing that any protein powder that taste somewhat decent is sweetened some way artificially.......It seems like anything that seems good is never REALLY good...
bobosensei
bobosensei
United States
2004/12/30, 03:14 PM
I am living proof that a poor diet can wreck your digestive system! I went to college and after a few months noticed I always had diarrhea. Well it took me 2 years to go to the doctor about it. They say I have IBS and give me some meds. The meds make me bloated and sleepy and I was having to drink 2+ gallons of water per day and I was still thirsty so I decided hey I'd rather just have diarrhea. So then the summer after my third year in college I try Atkins. All problems vanished and I feel so great, except the day I ate a whole pack of sausage didn't have a bowel movement for 2 days... So I get off Atkins knowing that whole foods are the way to go, but I still consume diet coke and other artificial sweetners. By the way when I was having to log my food intake for the doctors the few times I went in and out for 3 years they never wanted amounts. Okay there is a huge difference in one serving of diet coke at a each meal and consuming an entire 2 liter bottle (sometimes more) of the stuff per day. I did a little experiment and learned that the stuff in sugar free gum and mints gives me gas. I tested it by eating a pack each day (of breathsavers sugarless) in the afternoon at work and I would have horrible gas the whole way home. So now I know sorbitol ( think it is sorbitol) among many other things is not my friend. I am currently having headaches each day in the afternoon at work. I am not eating breakfast, so maybe that is it. I'm not doing it on purpose, I just kept waking up too late. Coffee is starting to repulse me. I tried watering some down this morning and I still couldn't drink it.

Justin can you get unsweetened protein powder and then just make it sweeter naturally maybe with fruit or something?

And sorry everyone for the graphic information...
Reddy
Reddy
United States
2004/12/30, 05:19 PM
Don't feel sorry - as for skippping breakfast - try buying a box of the breakfast bars & keeping them in your car then if you miss you can on your drive

--------------
Reddy

All people smile in the same language
JustinE22
JustinE22
United States
2005/01/04, 03:20 AM
Well yeah you can get unflavored protein powder but i'm not feeling any symptoms from using splenda and other artificial sweetners so until then i believe i will use them as i like having the ability to sweeten certain things without having to ingest calorie or cause an unwanted insulin spikes.
Lindsay22
Lindsay22
United States
2005/01/13, 03:37 PM
dumb question maybe...but what is splenda??? ive seen it mentioned on here alot!
jonathanweaver
jonathanweaver
United States
2005/01/14, 03:11 PM
It's the sweetener in the yellow packets. It's chemically altered Sugar, so they can call it natural. It has an after taste, but not nearly as strong as the blue and pink packets. Supposedly measures cup for cup with Sugar.

It's sold at most grocery stores and also at CostCo.

http://www.splenda.com/

--------------
--Click here to insert a clever message--

Jonathan