Group: Under 25 Club

Created: 2011/12/31, Members: 647, Messages: 8009

Everyone 25 years of age and under are encouraged to join this group to share common goals, stories and encouragement with their goals.

Join group

(spam+ranting!?!) bad gym advice,,,?

oscarg
oscarg
United States
2004/08/03, 11:25 PM
where's the spam/trash section? every forum needs one of these...
WARNING: SPAM AHEAD...

i felt i had to ask about this...
there's this guy at the gym i go too. he's this pretty big mexican guy who is there almost every time i go, usually between 8-10pm. he usually says hi and/or shakes my hand and ask's how i'm doing etc. but he's told me a few times..."your (getting) big...you should stop workingout...", and I'm guessing it means permenant!?! I don't know how to respond to that so I just walk away since I'm not much of a people person in the first place. But, I mean, what kind of advice is that? Is he afraid that I'll explode from being too big, lol, or pop a vein, since I do workout pretty hard sometimes. And I'm not even BIG. I'm more of an average size but muscular/lean guy. It really gets on my nervous when people tell me that I'm big or that I should workout less often. It annoys me when people try to tell me what to do with my time. I may not have a real personal life, but I feel that going to the gym is the only thing that makes me feel more norm and as if I had a real life. But somehow, I can see where he is coming from....and I think I can be comvinced to stop working out, but I don't want to make a mistake by stopping working, and then hate the way I my body looks in a few years, or worse, like the rest of most of my family. So I want to set up a home gym to avoid comments from other people. Does anyone here think that I should slow down by maybe workingout less often, like 1 or 2 x per week? i still have my whole life ahead of me and it's not like I'm making this a career or anything, though having a nice body in your 20's is nice. So, I'm I taking this fitnes thing to fast? I'm don't workout to attract more girls, to become a model, or a bodybuilder...i slowly wandered into the weight training scene and I slowly got the mental attitude that I need to look my best but then I think, whats the point of me doing this?...what's my real goal?...Why or have I become a bit obsessed with the idea of having a "perfect body"? I'm almost positive that that's the way I look when I'm working out and struggling to leg press a weight that the last older guy leg pressing before me could no way press. I could seriously write dozens of pages right now about this (these) things. I didn't want to rant anymore...so I'll stop. "Helpful/Good/Friendly" comments or suggestions not needed but appriciated. I just had a good workout especially my calfs, it's a great feeling when I can lift the entire weight stack on the standing calf raises with a straight face. I think i'm high on endorphins... :P
...the end :laugh:

--------------
Knowing is not enough, we must apply. Willing is not enough, we must do.

oscarg@freetrainers.com
2004/08/04, 09:29 AM
Forget it and keep working out. Some people hang on to antiquated views that when you work out hard and gain muscle you're putting dangerous stress on the body, becoming big and slow, or that it will all turn into fat later, etc. You know that's not true, and like you said, it feels great to throw around the big weight and like what you see in the mirror. As long as your body is handling your current routine, keep it up. You'll hate the loss of energy and physical changes that will happen if you back off too much. Might as well reach your pinnacle while you're young and can manage to find the time.

--------------
OSU Law Rugby....specializing in personal injury and pain & suffering.
oscarg
oscarg
United States
2004/08/04, 04:10 PM
That's Great Advice! Just the type of stuff I can read when I'm umotivated. Thanks!!
Reach my pinnacle... I like that!
4wheeler1421
4wheeler1421
United States
2005/01/03, 07:43 PM
Hey I know advice from a girl isnt always the greatest thing but I just had a comment. This guy that has been telling you this see's you work out however you know how much your body can take. If you push your self the same all the time then I can't see the problem. But if you push your self real hard one day and then the next slow it down and push harder the next then you might have problems. I'm sure that you know what you can take if you change the way you work out to mucht hen you can gain fat instead of muscle believe me it happened to me when I moved and it's hard to get back on the schedule you once. So honestly if you feel that your pushing yourself to hard then theres wehn you should maybe change but if not hey keep it up you look great
bb1fit
bb1fit
United States
2005/01/03, 08:24 PM
First off you have to learn to BEWARE of gym "experts". They are as bad as lawyers in jail! Just keep training, you have to please yourself. One thing about bodybuilding, as in the saying there is no "I" in team, in bodybuilding there is no team, it is "I".

--------------
If you don't stand for something, you will fall for anything....

bb1fit@freetrainers.com
Carivan
Carivan
Canada
2005/01/03, 08:40 PM
Listen to your body. And if your will is there, then keep going! You will only benefit yourself.

--------------
If you can dream it, if you can imagine it, then you can be it, you can do it. If it is meaningful enough, and you commit the energy of your passion, you will.

Ivan
carivan@freetrainers.com
Montreal Canada
bigandrew
bigandrew
United States
2005/01/04, 06:33 PM
this is why I bought head phones

--------------
The following, has not be approved by the FDA or FT, it was not meant to diagnose,treat,or prevent any diease(s) Please consult a moderator or doctor before using any of the suggestions or comments.

puresnowchic
puresnowchic
United States
2005/01/17, 04:35 PM
The guys either a dumb*ss, or he's just messing around... sometimes it's hard to tell when people are joking or not, especially if you don't know them well. Just maintain your form, make sure you don't injure yourself by 'throwing' around too much weight, and KEEP LIFTING. It's very rare when you find someone that says your 'too big'...

--------------
My mind tells me to win, my spirit shows me how, and my body delivers.

Cari
PureSnowChic@aol.com
Southern California
DX14AG
DX14AG
United States
2005/01/17, 10:18 PM
He's just Jealous.

DX
bigandrew
bigandrew
United States
2005/01/17, 10:25 PM
invest in some head phones...they help detour this "advise"

--------------
My drinking squad, has a cheerleading problem!!
asimmer
asimmer
United States
2005/01/18, 06:41 AM
Maybe he likes you... run!

But seriously, some people seem to go to the gym to socialize and meet as many people as they can instead of applying themselves to thier workout.
i was deemed an unfriendly bitch by many people because I would come in, put my headphones on, lift like a maniac and leave.
People would talk to me and often i wouldn't even notice.

After a while they will leave you alone.

--------------
An old thought for the New Year - \'If you fall down seven times, get up eight\'
What matters is that you continue on.
2005/01/18, 04:57 PM
that null was me as usual...lol how i hate 33.6 modem:/

I also have a tendency to look down to minimize eye contact with people who just wanna run their mouths....if some1 compliments me on my lift or something I just politely reply with a 'thank you' and walk by.....I don't mind giving some1 a spot or genuine advice if they ask me but other peoples advice irritates the hell out of me....breath breath breath...lol...

But seriously buy plug earphones and wear them with no player....works very well...