Group: Experienced Exercise

Created: 2012/01/01, Members: 50, Messages: 19484

For intermediate and advanced individuals. Share and learn how to take your fitness to the next level!

Join group

Static contraction training

sfolk
sfolk
United States
2001/12/14, 12:48 PM
Has anyone tried this. If so, how did it work?
Arnold
Arnold
Canada
2001/12/14, 01:50 PM
Hey sfolk.. where ya been?

A friend of mine has tried it and had dramatic strength gains and visible size gains.. however he began to plateau after about 8 weeks..

Here is an article I found on the web for you:

"Statics is essentially a “physiological step up” from isometric training. It derives from holding resistance in the maximal contraction point for that particular body part for a said length of time – ideally 10 – 15 secs.

The time span is imperative to make the exercise an anaerobic workout. The fundamental principals behind static contraction or indeed isometric training are that it is an anaerobic routine to avoid burning into your muscle glycogen and thus maximise lean muscle growth.

Moreover, holding the resistance for 10 – 15 secs in the maximal contraction position stimulates the most powerful fwA twitch muscle fibres – FG fibres. This impulse fired from the motor to the fibres will ultimately provide the strongest and most powerful response and thus produce maximal strength providing the training and technique has perfect biochemistry.

This now proves a means to make the largest gains in lean muscle mass, strength and power. Furthermore, the workout consisting of 5 exercises with 1 – 2 sets on each, which can be completed realistically within 25 minutes. This allows you to then target your cardiorespiratory workout to shred the substatenous and visceral body fat that forms 505 of total body fat and proves the coverage over your now developing lean muscle mass.

One final strength of using static contraction - and it is a very large bonus, is that there is minimal sufferance from the DOMS - the onset of muscle soreness about 24 hours after training the particular body parts. This is largely due to the duration of the workout and minimal burning of muscle glycogen.

One downside of static contraction training, when looking at, is not overall gains, it still lies second best behind eccentric resistance training. Statics will create more lean muscle mass as there is minimal burning of the muscle glycogen. However, it falls short in terms of sculpting and shaping the body. This is where eccentric resistance training ( the negative movement in any resistance exercise) comes into its own. Although it burns into muscle glycogen and thus not create as much lean muscle mass, it tears the muscle fibres and dependent on what you are training for, your training methods will dictate the way you shape and develop your lean muscle. The eccentric resistance work even though more time consuming and painful through the onset of DOMS, will develop the body best – providing the training and technique shows correct form.

Static contraction training can be prone to injury particularly if there is insufficient and incorrect warm up, prestretching, stretch down and cool down. The principles behind statics of lifting the maximum resistance into the maximal contraction for 10 – 15 secs through 1-2 repitions on each body part can certainly prove taxing for the body.

To summarise, the best scenario for you mark my opinion or to use statics for a 10 week training programme (once we have experimented on perfect form and body of resistance limit) to develop maximal lean muscle mass. We can concentrate on shredding your substataneous and visceral body fat through cardiorespiratory workouts after each statics session. We will log down all gains and improvements and retake the bioelectrical impedence analysis after the 10 weeks statics programme. I even suggest we use an advanced resistance and phytometrics regime to shape, sculpt and develop your lean muscle mass into the body you are aiming for. The body responds best to variation, through reverting to statics to develop maximal lean muscle mass and working with your fibre constants, we can then turn to eccentric resistance and phytometrics to maximise these developments and sculpt the body you desire."

Good Luck..

.o0 Arnold 0o.
jbennett
jbennett
United States
2001/12/14, 04:56 PM
Good article, Arnold. Where'd you find that one?
Philia2
Philia2
France
2001/12/15, 02:44 AM
Yep Arnold thanx for the article, I just want to include one thing that's quite interesting:
Okey imagine that you can do 100kg in squat (sorry guys I'm in the kg system) This is your MR, or 100% of your total strenght. Okey now we throw away the concentric part of the movement and only use the exentric part which means that you'll bend your knees but you cannot push up the weight, here you can do heavier, around 110kg or 110% of your strenght. Now imagine bending your knees and standing there, this is the static or isometric moment of the exercise, and theoretically now you can carry around 140% of your max strenght.
Quite amazing huh? So that's why you can gain strenght very fast with static training. You'll just need a trainings partner to give you the weight and take the time.
Still I don't advice doing this more than for a week or two in the middle of your normal program. This is to choc the muscles for
Philia2
Philia2
France
2001/12/15, 02:46 AM
Sorry, what I was saying was that if you keep gaining strenght very quickly because of static work, and you continue then you'll fast meet the famous plateau as well.....
Anyway, good luck to everybody!!