Group: Specific Diets & Nutrition

Created: 2012/01/01, Members: 104, Messages: 22775

With so many diets and nutritional plans out there, you can get lost. Find out what works best for others and share your experiences!

Join group

cutting phase grocery list...

froshman
froshman
United States
2004/05/28, 09:57 PM
Can someone post a grocery list for the cutting phase (I mean for the last stubborn few pounds, where you can't even eat most fruits), that will also maintain muscle? It would be gladly appreciated.
Also, maybe a cardio rountine too.
asimmer
asimmer
United States
2004/05/28, 10:09 PM
lean protein - fresh sources, not cured meats, tuna not as often (sodium content), fish is an excellent choice right now, as is extra lean beef, and egg whites.

Vegetables - any and all fibrous vegetables - celery is a little higher in sodium, so eat it in moderation, but spinach, lettuces, broccoli, kale, greens, cabbage, sweet poatoes (I know one guy and his entire pre-comp diet is chicken and sweet potatoes...)

fat - MCTs, olive oil, flax oil, fish oil. You can use fats like these to keep your calories up and to give you fuel for a workout - take a tbsp of fat before your weight training session.

Cardio - HIIT, every other day, or if you are already past that point, ad a seesion of cardio in the evening - 6-8 hours seperated from your lifting session.

Increase your water intake. Up to 2 gallons a day at this point.

--------------
If you fall down seven times, get up eight.
asimmer
asimmer
United States
2004/05/29, 10:11 AM
Also - look for my post 'cutting phase recipes', might be useful.

--------------
bb1fit
bb1fit
United States
2004/05/29, 10:11 AM
Actually it is quite the same, just more calorie cut or more caloric output. Have your macros set at about 50/30/20. If you are not losing anymore, then you are at your maintenance levels for the weight you have attained. What once made you lose is no longer enough to make you lose anymore in other words. So, another adjustment has to be made as noted in the beginning line of this reply.

============
Quoting from froshman:

Can someone post a grocery list for the cutting phase (I mean for the last stubborn few pounds, where you can't even eat most fruits), that will also maintain muscle? It would be gladly appreciated.
Also, maybe a cardio rountine too.
=============

--------------
If you don't stand for something, you will fall for anything....

bb1fit@freetrainers.com
froshman
froshman
United States
2004/05/30, 01:23 PM
Thanks!
So just to recap, I can eat all you listed, cut the fruit, do HIIT every other day, and eat healthy fats. What is a MCT? And natural peanut butter/nuts are good too right?
Also, should I not eat sodium, like flavoring with salt or soy sauce etc.?
Also, isn't all fish salty?
And, finally, chicken and turkeyy are good for proteins too, right?
asimmer
asimmer
United States
2004/05/30, 04:37 PM
MCT is a manufactrured fat made from coconut oil, it is an oil some people use pre-comp for calories and energy.

Nat Pb and nuts are good.

I would drop the sodium , but don't get obsessed about it.

No, fish isn't usually salty unless it has been processed.

Chiken and turkey breasts are good sources of protein!

--------------
bb1fit
bb1fit
United States
2004/05/31, 01:11 PM
MCT's are medium chain triglycerides. They are fats that actully act as carbs in a way, in other words can be easily used for fuel (chain easily broked down for glucose) as compared to regular fats.

--------------

bb1fit@freetrainers.com
froshman
froshman
United States
2004/05/31, 03:57 PM
WOW! I never heard of these MCT's. So during a cutting phase, I can cut the carbs and replace it with MCTs? Where do you get them and how much do they usually cost?
Also, sweet potatoes are good for a cutting phase? Aren't they considered a starch?
bb1fit
bb1fit
United States
2004/05/31, 04:06 PM
MCT's (MCFA's) are lipids composed of medium-chain fatty acids. These unique lipids provide more than twice the energy powder of carbohydrates and protein, and are less likely to turn into body fat than are long chain fatty acids.

MCFA were digested differently than other fats. This difference has had important applications in the treatment of many digestive and metabolic health conditions and since that time MCFA have been routinely used in hospital and baby formulas.

The digestive health advantages of medium-chain fatty acids (MCFA) over long-chain fatty acids (LCFA) are due to the differences in the way our bodies metabolize these fats. Because the MCFA molecules are smaller, they require less energy and fewer enzymes to break them down for digestion. They are digested and absorbed quickly and with minimal effort.

MCFA are broken down almost immediately by enzymes in the saliva and gastric juices so that pancreatic fat-digesting enzymes are not even essential.1 Therefore, there is less strain on the pancreas and digestive system.

Sweet potatos and oatmeal and dry beans of any kind are great for a cut. I would have my sweet potato earlier in the day though. Taper your diet to lean proteins and fats and fiber toward the end of the day.

--------------

bb1fit@freetrainers.com
froshman
froshman
United States
2004/06/02, 05:29 PM
Sweet potatoes seem like they wouldn't be allowed on a cuttinmg phase. Also, what about corn? And tomatoes- I know they are a fruit but they douboe as a veggie. Should I cut them from a salad? Also, in regards to carbs on a cutting phase, is there an amount of non-fiber carbs that I should seek to intake, like a limit?
bb1fit
bb1fit
United States
2004/06/02, 07:00 PM
You need to fit YOUR carb amounts into your nutrient macros of your diet. If you are doing a 50/30/20 diet for example, which is a good cutting diet, then simply make 30% of your calories from carbs.

Stay away from corn. Tomatoes are fine.

--------------

bb1fit@freetrainers.com
froshman
froshman
United States
2004/06/03, 05:45 PM
Does have to be "impact carbs", or should I avoid those?
bb1fit
bb1fit
United States
2004/06/03, 06:22 PM
Impact carbs you should always avoid. These are carbs that as the name implies impact your blood sugar, thus insulin response. These are mainly processed carbs, but can be "hidden" also. Be very leary of things that state only so many impact carbs. Chances are they are hiding things, and there is plenty of debate about some of the carbs they are calling non impact. Go with fiber rich carbs for the most part, except post workout.:big_smile:

--------------

bb1fit@freetrainers.com
froshman
froshman
United States
2004/06/07, 05:59 PM
Oh, no!!!! How canj there be hidden impact carbs? This is Bullshin! I've been eating the low carb protein bars, like Advantage (cuz its high in fiber and protein, despite being high in fat etc.)drinking the low carb slim fast drinks (ditto for this). I figuired these supply decent fiber and protein amounts, which is what I need to lose weight, at only about 2-3g impact carbs a pop and eating salads with grilled chicken and oil/vinegar etc. Now I may need to change that? I'm lost. This carb stuff is as confusing as algebra to a caveman. How can it be so hard to just lose 10 pound of fat? Its like the neverending story for me. Should I just drink sugar free protein shakes and take fiber capsules?
bb1fit
bb1fit
United States
2004/06/07, 07:40 PM
Don't panic, you sound like you are doing fine. I was just giving a warning that some of the things they call non impact carbs may well have some impact. Like sugar alchols for instance. No need to fret, what you are eating is probably fine. I am not a big fan of any of the bars, only in emergencies. You are always much better to eat whole foods if you can.

--------------

bb1fit@freetrainers.com
froshman
froshman
United States
2004/06/08, 06:11 PM
Sugar alcohol is bad? I always appreciated it cuz it is safer than artificial sweeteners. Is the idea that they don't impact blood sugar just hype?
Also, what is the best stuff to eat then? I know about protein sources, but what about fiber sources without the impact carbs? I know fruit is out and some veggies. Are there any I should embrace for a short while until I shed the 10 pounds?
And maybe you could answer this too, since I wonder- They say that the first 10 pounds you lose is water weight and makes no difference in your apperance other than the number displayed on the scale you're standing on. Now, if I want to bring my bodyfat from about 14% to 8%, which is about 10 pounds for me, does that mean I have to shed 20 pounds; 10 being water then 10 being fat?
And does eating high protein circumvent losing muscle during the process?
froshman
froshman
United States
2004/06/10, 10:15 PM
Bumpety Bump...
Velasca
Velasca
United States
2007/06/05, 08:25 PM
this is a great thread..and as this is *typically* the cutting time of year for many, i thought id give it a bump

--------------
There is no such thing as a *set point*. Im only set on getting past this point :)