Group: Experienced Exercise

Created: 2012/01/01, Members: 50, Messages: 19484

For intermediate and advanced individuals. Share and learn how to take your fitness to the next level!

Join group

Big Biceps?

TheGameShan
TheGameShan
Pakistan
2004/04/18, 06:20 PM
Well i have been asking so many questions lately.:)
There is one more......
Could u (my fellow ft members) tell me that how could i build bigger biceps..... my other body pats are quite good....leaving chest and biceps behind....
plz tell me what routine should i adopt for building big bis ,also tell me which exercise to do with biceps.....also should i repeat it in one week ?.....guide me ,thanx
neiltilley
neiltilley
United Kingdom
2004/04/19, 10:31 AM
2/3 of your arm is the tricep-- develop them-- they are easier- look up french press(i like it), pushdowns, kickbacks, dips.
only a 1/3 is bicep and it don't stick out much, but...
make sure you do a hammer curl, suppinated curl, close pull up, concentration curl and 21's on an EZ bar- don't overtrain, give good rest periods here and go for creatine and plenty of protein. Not more than 3 sessions a week
bigandrew
bigandrew
United States
2004/04/19, 11:23 AM
No more than 3 sessions a week? damn lol thats alot for such a small muscle.......the bicep is designed to work in conjunction with other body parts, mainly the lats( things that pull toward you) So the best biceps builder are actually back workouts......any kind of row, or lat pull down( reverse grip) I train them only once a week, or if i train them 2 times, its only like 2 excercises at a time or session. my fav is to do 3 biceps excercises and one tricep, and on triceps day do 3 tri excercises, and one bicep excercise.

--------------
.......adversity causes some to break, but others to break records!
......minds are not vessles to be filled, but fires to be enlightened
......Confucious once said ,DO NOT play leap frog with a unicorn

big_j_scf
big_j_scf
United States
2004/04/19, 11:24 AM
straight barbell curls allow you to use the most weight, thus making them the best mass builder for biceps. But, no matter what, don't go too heavy so that your form breaks down and you start putting stress on other muscles like the delts and lower back. Keep your elbows pinned to your sides the whole time and get a full range of motion. Also, hold the weight at pak contraction for a second while squeezing the biceps, and contol the weight on the negative. Do not swing or raise your elbows. I sometimes give myself a little swing on the last few reps of my last set to go a little beyond failure, then squeeze hard and let the weight down VERY slowly.

--------------
I have some good news! I just saved a bunch of money on my car insurance by switching to Gieco!
bigandrew
bigandrew
United States
2004/04/19, 03:25 PM
also think about this, stand with your hands at your sides. How do your hands hang relaxed? Thumbs forward, palms in. This is the natural hand motion. Not saying barbell curls are bad or anything, but the most natural curl you can do is a hammer, or suppinated bicep curl........
try hammer curls with a rope attachment, on a pretcher curl bench...big burn

--------------

assante74
assante74
United States
2004/04/19, 08:10 PM
If you trying to get big arms you will have to gain weight throughout your body. Unless, you are genetically gifted in the arm area. The body grows proportionally. So if you want to gain weight in the arms it's best train the whole body.
bigandrew
bigandrew
United States
2004/04/19, 10:47 PM
dito to gain about 1/2 in on the arm, you gonna have to add about 5 lbs or so too the whole body to gain that lil bit of size, and some will be fat unfortunally

--------------

codypurtell
codypurtell
Canada
2008/03/11, 09:00 PM
well for me push ups work curling works, pracher curling works and so do dumbell presses, and inside chin ups:P im 14 and hav a 15* bicep is that a good thing?
ecle5c
ecle5c
United States
2008/03/12, 08:29 AM
You have 15 inch arms, not biceps. Your bicep is only about 1/3 of your arm. Focus on big triceps and it will make your arms look even bigger.

While I do direct bicep work as well, albeit only a few sets per week, I've found that heavy rowing, pull-ups, and heavy back work in general tend to help my biceps more than just direct curl work.
corless319
corless319
United States
2008/03/12, 11:37 AM
My tricep is so big it makes my biceps look tiny hahaha I'm in the same boat as the author of this thread. I read something earlier I'm not sure how true it is. I have the exact same arm shape as mutt. One of the moderators obviously not as big buuuuuut. I read that your arms are shaped the way you are so with me wanting peak its useless. Is that true? Also the gameshan i def reccomend inverted hammer curls hammer curls and concentration curls. All the replies are insightful find what works with you and stick with it.
Speeder
Speeder
Canada
2008/03/12, 11:51 AM

Preacher Curls, Hammer Curls, and Skull Crushers....focus on adding these.

I also like dips, with weights. I use to pull 2 benches pretty close, and dip between them, have a Buddy put 2-3 45lb plates on your legs as you do it.

Speeder
Speeder
Canada
2008/03/12, 12:02 PM

Overhead Tricep Extensions also hit the long head of the Tricep...another good one to target for growth.
returnofplex
returnofplex
United States
2008/03/12, 12:09 PM
If it's girth you're looking for then compound exercises are the way to go. But if you are looking for "peak", then I recommend doing hammer curls, high cable curls, or incline dumbbell curls. I don't alternate arms on any of my DB movements, I lift both simultaneously. I also like to do them seated if possible, to avoid swinging with the weight. I normally train bi's on the same day I do back if thats any help.
usfDAN
usfDAN
United States
2008/03/23, 04:35 PM
im a personal fan of pull ups, chin ups, and heavy bar bell rows and upright rows for bicep builders. i only do 2 exercises for biceps a week, but i do all of the above excersises on back day.

on another note, your triceps are going to make the rest of your arm look big because its the majority of your arm. heavy pressing bar bell movements will help with this. you really cant get one withouth the other.