Group: Strength & Powerlifting

Created: 2012/01/01, Members: 39, Messages: 16459

Discuss the topic of Power lifting, Strength training and Strong Man training!

Join group

Big and Strong versus Strong.

gatormade
gatormade
United States
2004/03/04, 10:32 AM
Athletes need to be strong and explosive. We all know this. But, do they need to be big and strong? One of the best offensive lines in the NFL has been the 49er line from the late '80s and early '90s. They averaged 275 lbs when the average in the NFL was 320. Why were they good? They were stong and quick rather than big and strong. So, why train athletes for hypertrophy when really the quicker, stronger athlete gets the job done better. Also, the more size you put on an athlete means more strain you put on their joints when they run and jump. Anyway, I just see posts on here all the time saying how people want to bulk up for their sport when they should focus more on their agility, quickness, and reactive abilities.
rpacheco
rpacheco
United States
2004/03/04, 11:46 AM
Good point, Gatormade...especially coming from a powerlifter. However, isn't there a correlation between the two? I mean, if you lift for strength, isn't it natural to gain some size?

--------------
**_Robert_**
Pain is temporary; glory is forever!

E-mail: rpacheco@freetrainers.com
rev8ball
rev8ball
United States
2004/03/04, 12:14 PM
Robert, I think what Matt is trying to say (and correct me if I'm wrong) is that when it comes to strength training, it is more important to train for power, speed, explosiveness, etc., by training the nervous system, connective tissue, etc., rather than just focusing on adding mass for the sake of doing so, something I agree with entirely. Gaining some mass and size can be a secondary effect when training for strength; but this is not a goal, more of a result. :dumbbell:

--------------
Michael

Trample the weak; hurdle the dead!
Chaos, Panic, Disorder.... Yes, my work here is done!

rev8ball@freetrainers.com
rpacheco
rpacheco
United States
2004/03/04, 12:18 PM
I gotcha...thanks, that does make more sense. And yes, I fully agree!

--------------
**_Robert_**
Pain is temporary; glory is forever!

E-mail: rpacheco@freetrainers.com
ursusarktos
ursusarktos
Canada
2004/03/04, 01:13 PM
I couldn't agree more. This forum is titled 'powerlifting and strength training'. In other words, it's about athletic performance, not aesthetics. FT has other forums with a bodybuilding focus.

Intersting comment about those "tiny" 275 pounders :( whipping the 320 pounders :big_smile:
gatormade
gatormade
United States
2004/03/04, 02:17 PM
Rev,
You are right on the money. There are a few cases where an athlete does need to put some weight on. A defensive end that weighs in at 235 for example. Usually we try to lean our O- and D- line up so they are quick. Plus, when a lineman keeps their weight down they experience less injury.

Here is a great example of somebody lifting more but weighing less. Chuck from westside barbell squatted 1025 at a bodyweight of 225. When he was in the 242 class he was under or around 1000. So, that is a great example of strength not being equated to size. My strength goes up and I don't get bigger. I have been taking weight off now for 3 months. I have only taken 6 lbs but I am doing it slow and gradual until I get to 260. That will put me at 10% body fat. I am currently 268. It will take me 4-6 months to accomplish that but it I will be stronger when I get there with less body weight.
arondaballer
arondaballer
United States
2004/03/05, 10:43 PM
Gatormade and Rev are absolutely right. Some athletes though, like me, do need to gain some weight. But I don't want to get so big that I'm not agile for basketball. I'm 6'3" and if I really want to compete on the next level I would be a point guard or small forward whereas right now I play post and sometimes wing. Imagine if Shaq worked out really hard and got even stronger and lost some of his fat-he would dominate even more I think

--------------
I firmly believe that any man\'s finest hour, the greatest fulfillment of all that he holds dear, is the moment when he has worked his heart out in a good cause and lies exhausted on the field of battle-victorious.
--Vince Lombardi
\"Decide what you want, decide what you are willing to exchange for it. Establish your priorities and go to work.\" H. L. Hunt

Jdelts
Jdelts
United States
2004/03/07, 02:39 PM
Good post Gator...one thing I have always been proud of throughout my powerlifting days was that I was always the smallest guy competing. Some guys would take a look at me and grin as if to say "what the hell is this guy doing here?" Needless to say, when I would place top 4, those same schmucks would be shaking their heads as they left to go home because they didn't qualify. When I tell someone my bench or my squat, its not astronomical, but they usually don't believe me because of my size.:dumbbell:

--------------
I can beat Mario Brothers without losing a life.

Jdelts@freetrainers.com