Group: Strength & Powerlifting

Created: 2012/01/01, Members: 38, Messages: 16459

Discuss the topic of Power lifting, Strength training and Strong Man training!

Join group

Vertical Jump

resultset_first resultset_previous 1 2 of 2 pages
wrestler125
wrestler125
United States
2004/08/22, 12:20 AM
Gator: proprioceptive? Care to elaborate on that term?

--------------
Only a man who knows what it is like to be defeated can reach down to the bottom of his soul and come up with the extra ounce of power it takes to win when the match is even.
steve
bruin8uclap
bruin8uclap
United States
2004/08/23, 09:43 PM
Proprioceptive? I thought that term had to do with balance. BUBCATS, if I may answer your question, it is not risky to begin strength training. I am 29 years old, and weight lifting can only help you. Just make sure not to over do it. If you need a training schedule, the simple answer is to give yourself at least 48 hours to recover between in each leg workout. Beyond that, you would have to ask the experts on this board.
gatormade
gatormade
United States
2004/08/24, 06:52 AM
Proprioception deals with more than just balance. An example of proprioceptive training would be to do a set of jumps with weight and then immediately taking the weight off and doing a few more jumps. Speed bench with the bands. After completing all of the sets then do 3 sets of close grip. The bar feels like it is flying off of your chest. These are example of proprioceptive methods.
arondaballer
arondaballer
United States
2004/08/24, 11:28 PM
Gator's right (of course!). Proprioception is only used a whole lot with balance, because if you were to do a wobble board, or wear Jumpsoles Proprioceptors or something, after you get off the board or take the Proprioceptors off, your muscles have been firing away soo much at a difficult level, that when you're on the ground, it makes it seem easier to make agile moves. Just like Matt said about the Speed bench or weighted jumps, after you do it, the norm seems easier.

--------------
I firmly believe that any man's finest hour, the greatest fulfillment of all that he holds dear, is the moment when he has worked his heart out in a good cause and lies exhausted on the field of battle-victorious.
--Vince Lombardi
"Decide what you want, decide what you are willing to exchange for it. Establish your priorities and go to work." H. L. Hunt

Jdog1
Jdog1
United States
2004/10/17, 07:17 PM
Arondaballer i was just wandering how high is your vertical and who your favorite dunker is---i dont know if this heps but i know jump soles have a optional ball that plugs into the soles and strengthens your ankles
arondaballer
arondaballer
United States
2004/10/17, 09:20 PM
My vertical isn't all so great. Though I've never really measured it, my standing reach is at 8 feet and I can grab onto the rim on a vertical jump, so I'm guessing around 27". I jump a lot higher off one foot. My favorite in-game dunker is Kobe Bryant cuz he pulls some crazy stuff on people, but the best show dunker is definitely Vince Carter, he's just sick. Yes I know of the proprioceptors and use them every once in a while. Though I NEVER use the jumpsoles for plyometrics anymore, they don't help for crap.

--------------
I firmly believe that any man's finest hour, the greatest fulfillment of all that he holds dear, is the moment when he has worked his heart out in a good cause and lies exhausted on the field of battle-victorious.
--Vince Lombardi
"Decide what you want, decide what you are willing to exchange for it. Establish your priorities and go to work." H. L. Hunt

MP_21
MP_21
United States
2004/11/25, 04:00 AM
Hi,i am new to this forum and i want to ask you some questions about vertical jump.
Is it good to use weight around the ankle?
DX14AG
DX14AG
United States
2004/11/25, 10:12 AM
scroll up the post

DX
oho_23
oho_23
Canada
2005/01/27, 09:50 PM
yo aroundaballer does madbounsx2 really work?? sould i buy it???
oho_23
oho_23
Canada
2005/01/28, 02:03 PM
yo aroundaballer does madbounsx2 really work?? sould i buy it?? please respond as fast as posible
arondaballer
arondaballer
United States
2005/01/28, 10:26 PM
It works pretty decent. It would probly work very well for a beginner, but you would have to really work hard and focus on what you're doing. It's definitely worth the price for a serious athlete.

--------------
--Vince Lombardi

gatormade
gatormade
United States
2005/02/03, 10:22 AM
Try basic strength training and plyometics(jumping). After a month of basic strength training then get into power training. See all of my posts on this forum for a general idea on how to go about this.
oho_23
oho_23
Canada
2005/02/17, 12:16 PM
yo arondaballer thanks i'll try it. and see what happeneds
arondaballer
arondaballer
United States
2005/02/17, 10:54 PM
That's pretty much what that program is. It involves no weights, but it has a program for beginners or advanced athletes and it uses some pretty good exercises. It's definitely a sound program.

--------------
--Vince Lombardi

Lu_Dawg
Lu_Dawg
United States
2005/11/06, 02:26 AM
I was wondering if anyone has heard of the "Go Up Strong" jump program and if it is effective or not?
gorancho
gorancho
United States
2006/03/29, 05:08 PM
Message deleted by moderator due to unsuitable content for this board.
2006/03/29, 05:16 PM
why bring up an old post for no reason? and no such thing as best anything...do u work for the company or something?
coolnatedawg
coolnatedawg
United States
2006/03/29, 09:12 PM
sounds like it... i can increase my vert for 17 bucks! sweet!
2006/03/29, 10:46 PM
Drives me nuts when sales reps disguise themselves and post on message boards to scam people...same thing on craigslist....you can usually catch them quite easily....watch for phrases like 'best out there' 'we're not a scam'...'unbelieavable results' and so forth....there's no such thing as best anything...what may work for one person to gain 3 feet of extra vertical....may not even get another person 3 extra inches....or may not work at all....there's also more than 1 way at almost any strength goal....
mobstert2005
mobstert2005
United States
2006/12/20, 11:16 PM
my brother and a friend of mine did jumpsoles and becuase of them they can both jump way high, they both havent noticed any kind of ankle injuries or anything. but i agree with the squat stuff
2006/12/21, 07:38 AM
I already told you in another post - lower the rim.
If that does not suit your needs, how about reading some of the posts you keep adding onto. No need to post the same question in multiple forums. Search fitBuddy

--------------
Beyond Training, Beyond Experience, Nutrition Wins
forty_inch_jump
forty_inch_jump
United States
2008/10/15, 04:53 PM
I have a 40 in virt from doing plyometrics, squats, leg presses, running, and hiking. You dont need jump shoes or jump soles. My friend uses the jump soles and he has not gained much. Different workout work of different people. Squats and leg presses helped me the most.
the.stig
the.stig
Switzerland
2009/05/17, 05:19 AM
Here's a general program that I've written to increase athletic ability (I hate the term vertical jump program...).

http://www.sportgorilla.com/plyometrics.php

I do think however that there is no such thing as a one size fits all program, since everyone has different hinks that need working out before benefits can be experience. So my advice would be to take a program like mine to a coach or fitness instructor who has some experience with training athletes. They will then be able to help you put together an individual program that is just right for you.
kenjitay
kenjitay
United States
2009/07/27, 04:34 PM
Well, your verticals really depends on your athletic ability. No doubt that plyometrics can help you increase your vertical jump, but if you are not the "sporting kind", then your potential is really limited because most of your muscles are "untapped"

One of the ways to increase your vertical jump is to strengthen your core muscles like your glutes and quads and hamstring. While you are doing the strengthening workouts, slowly integrate explosiveness into them using plyometrics and speed training.

You will need good shock absorbing shoes for jump workouts to prevent risk of injuries

--------------
<a href=\"http://www.tips-to-jump-higher.com\">Secrets To Increase Vertical Jump</a>
wrestler125
wrestler125
United States
2009/08/04, 10:24 PM
I stopped reading your post after I got to "most prolific..."

What a tool.
2009/08/11, 12:30 PM
Wish he spent some time proof reading his own spam.

golf69
golf69
United States
2010/04/21, 01:29 AM
Hey guys. I finally was able to grab the rim today so I thought I would share my recent success. Im happy cause im only 5'8". I got motivation from a guy I found over at this site

http://www.squidoo.com/increasemyverticaljump

Hope you have the same success I did...
bballfan2
bballfan2
United States
2010/10/18, 05:53 PM
This is a really wide open question. Vertical jump training goes way beyond one simple exercise. A good jump program will include strength training, flexibility training and speed training while paying attention to proper diet. There are a lot of different ideas about the best training methods include plyo, iso, Olympic lifting, pure jumping and more. You probably should take a look at the top programs out their and see which ones would work for you. Each of the major programs like The Jump Manual, Air Alert, Vertical Explosion, etc., each have their own website or you can check out http://www.getmorehops.com. It discusses vertical jump training in general and presents all of the programs equally.

--------------
Richard Stephen
----------------------
Vertical Jump Training
www.getmorehops.com
basketballjump
basketballjump
United States
2010/12/21, 01:59 PM
Jumping is not just one exercise as some people have stated. It takes a comprehensive approach to receive gains upwards of 10-12 inches. Now you can still get gains of 2-6 inches with only one type of exercise but if you want the serious gains you must work on every aspect to jumping.

There are about 10 different things to work on to increase your vertical jump

Good thing is... Only one is genetics!

Flexibility, Strength, Quickness (not speed), Explosion, Mental, Proprioception, Speed, etc...

I have increased my vertical 12.5 inches to where it is at now, in the high 30's.

Squats are by far the easiest and most effective exercise to increase your vertical jump but I highly recommend a comprehensive approach because it makes sense and worked for me

--------------
The Reason Why People Fail To Increase Their Vertical Jump
http://www.vertical-jump-explosion.com/Only-Reason-You-Might-Fail.html
wboar
wboar
United States
2010/12/31, 05:21 AM
The main exercises are:
-squat
-deadlift
-jump (you have to practice the technique)
-and some plyometrics
wboar
wboar
United States
2010/12/31, 05:23 AM
The main exercises are:
-squat
-deadlift
-jump (you have to practice the technique)
-and some plyometrics

--------------
verticaljumplinks.blogspot.com
raylukesii
raylukesii
United States
2011/02/12, 06:35 PM
you gotta check out this site to get the secrets to increasing your vert. lots of info to get your hands on but it will get you results. I got my vert from around 30- 31 inches up to 43 inches off a one step jump. you gotta strengthen the legs through plyometric training and repetitive jumping. trust me.

--------------
RL
http://heyrays.eproduct-review.com
Jai3000
Jai3000
United States
2011/05/24, 12:27 PM
The best way to increase your vertical, depending upon your age, would be to start a carefully designed set of plyometric and weight training exercises. Through the correct and repeated application of plyometrics, you will be able to improve not only your jumping ability but also your explosiveness and ankle stability, which is very important. Visit http://www.howto-jumphigher.com/ for the right weight training exercises to strengthen your entire lower body, consisting of your quads and hamstrings, calves, ankles, and your abs. They are also giving away a free e-book full of exercises, drills, and tips to increase your vertical jump and improve your speed and explosiveness. Check out a few of the programs found right there!
---------------------------------
http://www.howto-jumphigher.com/
---------------------------------

Happy Trainings!!
spiderman41x
spiderman41x
United States
2011/09/14, 01:38 PM
Does anyone know how well "The Jump Manual" works? And if it does work does anyone know how i can obtain the workouts and stuff cheap/free?
bpeterson84
bpeterson84
United States
2011/09/18, 02:01 PM

============
Quoting from spiderman41x:

Does anyone know how well "The Jump Manual" works? And if it does work does anyone know how i can obtain the workouts and stuff cheap/free?
=============

It works good as long as you stick to guide, no deviation. It is fairly cheap compared to most programs. The site below gives a sample free guide away. Hope that helps.

http://plyometricsworkouts.org
joshley11
joshley11
Canada
2011/11/03, 12:58 PM
I did the Jump Manual for a few months but was not seeing the results I wanted. Then I switched over to the Vertical Jump Development bible and did the Intermediate Reactive Program and gained 6 inches in 3 months on it.

http://vert-jump.com

============
Quoting from spiderman41x:

=============
resultset_first resultset_previous 1 2 of 2 pages