Group: Strength & Powerlifting

Created: 2012/01/01, Members: 39, Messages: 16459

Discuss the topic of Power lifting, Strength training and Strong Man training!

Join group

heavy leg press....

dhurt55
dhurt55
United States
2004/01/25, 10:24 AM
When performing heavy sets of leg press, I often feel it more in my hip flexors and not in my quads...does anyone know the reason for this???

--------------
"Without Pains, there come no Gains" -Benjamin Franklin
Carivan
Carivan
Canada
2004/01/25, 10:56 AM
Where do you place your feet on the platform? Try on the upper half with toes a littlle sticking off the top.

--------------
"A will finds a way"
Ivan Montreal Canada
bigandrew
bigandrew
United States
2004/01/25, 01:17 PM
setting ur legs up further like carivan said is good, i like to put my feet angled out alil bit, i think sits callled crab leg pressing, but i have short stocky legs and wide hips so i have to do this or my range of motion is shorter, but doing it this way works alot more the inner quads

--------------
---andrew.......adversity causes some to break, but others to break records!

LEAVE YOUR EGO AT THE DOOR!!
dhurt55
dhurt55
United States
2004/01/25, 02:07 PM
thanks alot guys, i will try doing it with my feet sticking a little off the top...im guessing this puts more of the weight on your heels..bringing the quads in more.

--------------
tenorsaxmandave
tenorsaxmandave
United States
2004/01/25, 07:43 PM
Yo Dhurt!

According to Frederic Delavier in "Strength Training Anatomy", primary muscle emphasis and stress during Angled Leg Presses is as follows:

(A) Feet High on Plate - Glutes and Hams
(B) Feet Low on Plate - Quads
(C) Feet Apart - Adductors
(D) Feet Close Together - Quads

I use this book when I am unsure about the effects of subtle nuances on an exercise. I certainly would not dismiss what Carivan said, but this book has never steered me wrong yet. But then, again, neither has Carivan!

Maybe it is possible that as peoples' body physiologies and make-up's differ (e.g., bone lengths, proportions, and even BF% to a degree), so will everyone's response to different exercises (and their responses to the subtle differences within those exercises). In other words, your milage may vary. Probably not what you wanted to hear!

It would be interesting to get Gator's or Rev8's or BB1's comments on this, too...

TSMD
dhurt55
dhurt55
United States
2004/01/26, 11:05 AM
THanks tenorsaxmandave and carivan!...yes please gator, bb1 and rev8...what do u think????

--------------
jplatz
jplatz
United States
2004/01/26, 08:22 PM
TSMD, just wanted you to know that thanks to you I used the proper form today on my leg presses after performing squats. Needless to say, I didn't like you very much as my quads burned like I had set fire to them. I'm really not looking forward to tomorrow either since I know they will hurt like never before.

Thanks for the information on the proper technique. I'll be thinking of you tomorrow morning when I'm trying to walk.

--------------
Pain is but a threshold to greater strength.
tenorsaxmandave
tenorsaxmandave
United States
2004/01/26, 09:04 PM
Yo JPlatz!

Man, I sure don't need guys who can leg press over 1300 pounds mad at me!LOL However, I'm glad the info helped.

If you get a chance, check out the book I mentioned. It's loaded with lots of detailed info and excellent drawings of worked muscles for different exercises. I got my copy on Amazon.com for about $18, but I'll bet you could borrow a copy from your local library to "kick the tires". It's a great reference book.

Good luck tomorrow! Just remember, it's a "good" kind of "sore".

TSMD
bb1fit
bb1fit
United States
2004/01/26, 10:05 PM
Good post TSMD, you are right on. To give you that coveted leg "sweep", feet low and close together(hardest to do). For the inner, glutes and hams(to a lesser degree), feet high and wide. I do this every contest training time for my legs. Works wonders. Usually drop squats all together.

--------------
If you don't stand for something, you will fall for anything....
rev8ball
rev8ball
United States
2004/01/27, 02:30 AM
You guys nailed it. One other thing I would look at is the angle of the back support/seat. By having it too high, you may be forcing your body into such a position were it pulls in more effort from your hips and lower back.

--------------
Michael

Trample the weak; hurdle the dead!
Chaos, Panic, Disorder.... Yes, my work here is done!
dhurt55
dhurt55
United States
2004/01/27, 06:18 PM
Thanks alot guys...leg day is tomorrow....can't wait to apply the information ive gained!!!

--------------
bigandrew
bigandrew
United States
2004/01/27, 06:38 PM
while we talk about leg presses....i find i can't do the close together feet low postion on a leg press, because if I do, the combination of my build and the machine doesn't allow me a very good range of motion , so ihave to have almost a sumo stance lol.......but i can do squats with ease with my feet shoulder width apart feet and toes stright ahead...........any suggestions?

--------------
---andrew.......adversity causes some to break, but others to break records!

LEAVE YOUR EGO AT THE DOOR!!
jplatz
jplatz
United States
2004/01/27, 11:02 PM
Yo TSMD!
PUNK!!!!! I've got 3 words for you....OW! OW! OW!
Everytime I stand up today my quads remind me what listening to you did to me. It's that "good" kind of "sore" too. I don't always feel it like I should and that really helped.

Thanks again man. Appreciate the info. Next week, high and wide to hit the hams.

--------------
Pain is but a threshold to greater strength.