Group: Strength & Powerlifting

Created: 2012/01/01, Members: 39, Messages: 16459

Discuss the topic of Power lifting, Strength training and Strong Man training!

Join group

Lifting Straps

2004/01/22, 08:18 AM
I was curious as to people's opinions about lifting straps. I currently use them for only one exercise (deadlifts), and only because of the combination of sweaty hands, worn down grips on the bar, and a ban on chalk in my gym. Otherwise I'm sure I could safely use my unaided grip. What are the disadvantages of using straps?

--------------
OSU Law Rugby....specializing in personal injury and pain & suffering.
rev8ball
rev8ball
United States
2004/01/22, 12:55 PM
I understand the concerns you listed above all too well. However, I have never used straps because they take away from overall lifting ability, i.e. grip strength and forearm development. Unfortunately, our general strength tends to surpass our grip strength at an alarming rate. If you are having problems with holding on to the weights, focus on doing grip exercises to build it up; in the mean time, lower the poundages in the lifts that you may be having problems with until your grip catches up. That way, you'll be sure of proper form in the lifts. If sweat is the problem, and no chalk is allowed, try some of that gel grip product that is used for other sports like baseball - I believe it's called GGGRIP. You rub it on, and it helps keep your hands dry.
Good luck........

--------------
Michael

Trample the weak; hurdle the dead!
Chaos, Panic, Disorder.... Yes, my work here is done!
bigandrew
bigandrew
United States
2004/01/22, 05:09 PM
i have recently abanded the straps my self,because i relised if i ever wanna compete i can't have them......but somthing i have found out that does help is find somthing kinda soft, but rugid , i use my wrist wraps( the ones u get at store thats reapy really thick and is mad of spandx and is usually white) wrap those around the bar where u grip, and i liek to wear some thin gloves( batters gloves) just so my skin don't get ripped off........I've found having somthing that i can squeeze helps me grip tighter....the bar has no give it stays the same shap, but if somthing softer over the bar u grip aroudn it, it contours to ur hands and gives u a much strong hold than the non giving metal, give it a try it works for me and i'm with in 25lbs of doing my regual weight with straps

--------------
---andrew.......adversity causes some to break, but others to break records!

LEAVE YOUR EGO AT THE DOOR!!
gatormade
gatormade
United States
2004/01/22, 06:57 PM
I never use straps. Straps take away a great opportunity for grip development. Grip strength is correlated, in research to both upper and lower body strength. Sounds wrong, but it is true.
ursusarktos
ursusarktos
Canada
2004/01/22, 11:10 PM
The only exercise where I use straps for is lunge walks with fairly heavy dumbells. I do 10 strides per side per set (alternating) and find it very diffcult to maintain grip on a pair of 70-80lb dumbbells for that length of time.
7707mutt
7707mutt
United States
2004/01/25, 02:38 PM
As a few know I use versa straps. I use them only when my girp fails to train past a weakness. I still try hard to get more reps using a heavier weight each time I do them. But I do not let my grip let my other lifts down if you know what I mean. I think it is a very much a personal decision. I am using them less and less as I get stronger it seems my grip is getting stronger.

--------------
LIFT HEAVY! BECOME STRONG, LIKE BULL!
Jdelts
Jdelts
United States
2004/01/25, 04:37 PM
Unlike you brave souls, I use straps for heavy dealifts and heavy shrugs. I was cursed with small hands and I've developed a very strong grip over the years to compensate, but the laws of anatomy and physics prohibit me from going heavy without the straps. I agree with ALL of your claims, but I'm one of a small minority that needs'em. Say all you want about getting my grip stronger but I REALLY DO NEED THEM.

--------------
May the lift be with you.
dhurt55
dhurt55
United States
2004/01/25, 05:27 PM
Hmmmmmm....I just recently bought some straps and was going to start using them for deadlifts, shrugs, and cleans....now I am starting to have second thoughts......

--------------
"Without Pains, there come no Gains" -Benjamin Franklin
bigandrew
bigandrew
United States
2004/01/25, 06:42 PM
hay i have lil hands to jdelts, u think thats hard......try catching girls feet with one hand and junk lol......but yes they do have benifits and bad thnigs too , comes down to choice............just liek in the matrix lol

--------------

Jdelts
Jdelts
United States
2004/01/25, 08:36 PM
Real sorry for ya Andrew, you bastard....lol

--------------
May the lift be with you.
big_j_scf
big_j_scf
United States
2004/01/25, 11:35 PM
I personally need the straps because my grip can't keep up with my traps. I could fry my grip and get a descent trap workout, or I could get a great trap workout and kind of work my grip....I choose to hit the traps.
rev8ball
rev8ball
United States
2004/01/29, 06:31 PM
I finally found it! This is a web site of the product I had mentioned above. I know some lifters who have used it in the past and have liked it. I think I'm going to order some and give it a shot since my gym (or "spa," as I like to call it!) won't allow chalk any more:

http://www.improvesports.com/grrrip_product.html

--------------
Michael

gatormade
gatormade
United States
2004/01/29, 06:36 PM
My feeling is this: If our hands can't hold something then that is our body's way of telling us that we are not ready for that weight yet. It may seem like a very basic philosophy but when do people get hurt? When they use too heavy of a weight. Your grip strength determines what is too much to handle properly. From what I have seen and done, I feel this is a good way to go.
pimple
pimple
United States
2004/01/30, 12:25 AM
amen to that, gatormade...
rev8ball
rev8ball
United States
2004/01/30, 01:16 AM
Bingo, G.......

--------------
Michael

7707mutt
7707mutt
United States
2004/01/30, 09:22 AM
Ok i agree to a point. However I have found that my grip ,while I am trainig it to get it better, fails before I am ready for it to. That means that other bodyparts lag because of it. And training it is not happening fast enough to keep those bodyparts growing. I aggree that using them all the time for every set is bad but if you need it to get that last set or two to really fry that back traps etc then go for it,

--------------
LIFT HEAVY! BECOME STRONG, LIKE BULL!
bigandrew
bigandrew
United States
2004/01/30, 03:12 PM
mutt has a good point,( i'm not taking sides in this one lol) that your hamstrings and quads an dmost other muscles are several if not 10 or 20times the size of your tiny fore arm muscles wich i belive consist of 5 flexers and 5 extensors, and several smaller ones to operate the fingers and stuff...........how can these lil muscles compare to the big quads?

--------------

ursusarktos
ursusarktos
Canada
2004/02/20, 11:36 AM
UPDATE - After realising Gatormade was right about this, and that my rationale for using straps during lunge walks was pretty lame, I decided to abandon the straps completely. Well in a matter of about 3 weeks my forearms have risen to the occasion and are holding onto the dumbells just fine. Not only that, I now have an excuse for having large forearms :)
2004/02/20, 11:59 AM
I have to admit.....I jettisoned the straps and narrowed my grip on deadlift, and it seems to be working fine. I feel like an idiot for using them in the first place now.

--------------
OSU Law Rugby....specializing in personal injury and pain & suffering.
gatormade
gatormade
United States
2004/02/20, 02:09 PM
Just because the forearm muscles are small doesn't mean they can compete with your hamstrings and quads andrew. You also have to look at the type of lever systems in play. I firmly believe that your grip strength is your bodies way of telling you what your body can safely hold or pull at a given time. Grip strength has been shown to correlate to leg strength in research studies. Why? Not sure. But there must be a reason and my thought is as I previously stated. How many times do you see guys using straps complaining about a pull in their low back or a strained trap? I see it lots of times. My back always fails before my grip. Both are strong for me. I can pull and hold 700 lbs from just above the knee with out straps. I can pull, hold, and control 650 from the floor without straps. The times I have failed it has been because of my back or abs. I know I am a bit different from the average joe but I am not all that different. Lose the straps, train the grip, and learn to hold onto a bar with sheer determination.
gatormade
gatormade
United States
2004/02/20, 02:09 PM

============
Quoting from gatormade:

Just because the forearm muscles are small doesn't mean they can compete with your hamstrings and quads andrew.

can should be can't