Group: Health Supplements

Created: 2012/01/01, Members: 102, Messages: 16613

Supplements can be a great aid with your health and fitness goals. Combined with the proper exercise and nutritional plan they can be quite effective.

Join group

post-workout combination..

dhurt55
dhurt55
United States
2004/01/10, 04:59 PM
I have been taking 100% Whey protein from GNC Pro Performance after my workout every day and just recently started taking creatine. The guy at GNC reccomended mixing the creatine with my protein and consuming post workout....is this the right way to go? I have probably been taking creatine for a few weeks and have started seeing positive results; i.e. increased endurance. Another question, I currently take 5gms of creatine a day...as that is what it says in the instructions, is this an ok amount? Information would be GREATLY apprciated. Thanks

--------------
"Without Pains, there come no Gains" -Benjamin Franklin
YodelingAdam
YodelingAdam
United States
2004/01/10, 06:24 PM
I'm pretty sure it's ok to do the whey and creatine combo and as far as the 5grams a day for creatine..thats normal. Some people take up to 20grams a day. When I'm on creatine, I take 10grams a day, 5 in the morning, 5 at night. And on workout days, 5 immediately before and after the workout. Do a search on the creatine/whey combo...I remember seeing that same question in the past.
agamble
agamble
United States
2004/01/10, 07:02 PM
If you are taking some time to drink your post-workout shake, I wouldn't mix the creatine with it. Creatine becomes unstable and converts to creatinine if it sits to long. Better to mix it and down it immediately. Whereas your post workout shake should be consumed over a period of 30 minutes or so.
dhurt55
dhurt55
United States
2004/01/10, 07:38 PM
Agamble, if I still wanted to take creatine after I worked out, would it be better to take my whey protein over the span of about 30 mins and then take the creatine mixed with some type of juice? Or should I take the creatine first and then follow with the whey?

--------------
rev8ball
rev8ball
United States
2004/01/10, 10:23 PM
It's fine to take the creatine with the post-workout protein. But you need to be taking some high GI carbs with it as well. These will help spare the whey, as well as help shuttle the creatine.

All of this should be consumed within 30 minutes of finishing your workout.

--------------
Michael

Trample the weak; hurdle the dead!
Chaos, Panic, Disorder.... Yes, my work here is done!
dhurt55
dhurt55
United States
2004/01/11, 12:03 PM
So what do u suggest to get the carbs? Maybe drink a glass of oj or sumthin like that?

--------------
bb1fit
bb1fit
United States
2004/01/11, 02:16 PM
Dextrose and Maltodextrin are the best, a 50/50 mixture.

--------------
If you don't stand for something, you will fall for anything....
agamble
agamble
United States
2004/01/11, 03:09 PM
So then you can mix your creatine with your post workout shake. I drink half of it immediately and then sip it for 30-45 minutes. I thought that was a no-no. Getting conflicting views here. Also if you are taking creatine on non-workout days, what do you mix it with. How about Gatorade or something similar?
agamble
agamble
United States
2004/01/11, 03:10 PM
Sorry for the misinformation dhurt55.
bb1fit
bb1fit
United States
2004/01/11, 03:33 PM
Do not mix your protein/creatine post workout together if you are going to take an hour to drink it. (and you should). You are not getting conflicting info. What Rev was implying is if you drink it immediately. The best way is like you are doing, and a good time to take your creatine/glutamine is about 20 minutes into your shake, uptake is beginning and serum insulin levels should be getting high, so uptake of your creatine and glutamine at this point is good.

On your off days, do not spike your insulin, take your creatine first thing in the morning. No gatorade. Your first meal should be a low glycemic meal, like oats, which will give a very mild insulin response, just enough to shut off cortisol from your evening fast. Of course have a protein source with your morning meal.

--------------
agamble
agamble
United States
2004/01/11, 04:42 PM
Thanks bb1 for the clarrification. I'm glad I don't need the extra sugar on off days.
dhurt55
dhurt55
United States
2004/01/11, 09:43 PM
Thanks for all the info. guys, I think I am going to drink about half of my 100% Whey and then drink my creatine with some form of high carbs(bb1fit how do I go about getting dextrose and maltodextrin? Can I just get it from GNC?)and then after consuming my creatine rather quickly, I'll finish the rest of the Whey over a 20-25 minute time period. Does this sound OK? THanks

--------------
bb1fit
bb1fit
United States
2004/01/12, 10:17 AM
Many health food stores sell dextrose and malto. Not GNC usually. If not, you can get it on line, or maybe at a brew house. Now Nutrition sells both, go to www.vitaglo.com and you can get both there. Dextrose is $1.79 for 2 lbs., and carbo gain(malto) is a bit more. Make sure you mix your dextrose/malto/protein all together, and take it 1/2 immediately, and then sip on the rest.

--------------
YodelingAdam
YodelingAdam
United States
2004/01/12, 02:41 PM
What's wrong with drinking your post workout shake all at once? Is the digestive system not able to absorb it that quickly. The only reason is because I have 5lb optimum nutrition 100% whey strawberry flavor and it taste horrible so I usually down it. I don't think I could sip that over a period of time. (the chocolate optimum taste great though)
agamble
agamble
United States
2004/01/12, 03:43 PM
Thanks for the heads up on the strawberry flavor. That was going to be my next purchase. You just saved me 35.00. Thanks.
bb1fit
bb1fit
United States
2004/01/12, 05:55 PM
Hankmeister....The reason for drinking it slowly is it vitally important to restrict the rate at which we consume our post-workout meal. Even though our bodies can administer nutrients more effectively at this time more so than any other time, it is still very possible to overload our body’s capacity to digest.

An over-induced digestion of the post-workout meal can be one of the leading causes of excess fat storages during a bulking stage.

Our goal is to get a steady flow of nutrients during the potent “window of opportunity” post-training. An overproduction of insulin, resulting from an overly rapid consumption of simple carbs, is the reason for a lot of the typical fat gain during a gaining phase also.

As you consume your post-exercise meal, contemplate your energy levels over the next hour. It’s of the utmost significance that your energy levels do not go down at all during the post-workout period.

--------------
YodelingAdam
YodelingAdam
United States
2004/01/12, 06:01 PM
Thanks bb1fit, I guess I'll have to tolerate the taste until I get a new whey. Oh and Agamble, have you have tasted the strawberry lip gloss some girls put on...thats should tell you alot. Stick to chocolate or vanilla, however HDT problend has a awesome strawberry flavor.
bb1fit
bb1fit
United States
2004/01/12, 06:07 PM
Yeah, HDT is about the only strawberry that actually doesn't taste bad. Hank, you might consider adding some flavoring to your strawberry. Like pineapple, I don't have it in front of me, but there is a company that makes flavorings with no calories and very highly concentrated that is good to add. They even have peanut butter flavor! They come in very tiny bottles, if you care, when I get home I will look at the company for you. they have a website also.

--------------
YodelingAdam
YodelingAdam
United States
2004/01/12, 09:47 PM
Mmm....peanut butter. If you know where the bottle is, let me know what company makes it. But if it take too long to find or its out of your way, don't worry about it. I'll drink the whey until it runs out...I don't like to waste protein. Lets just say I accidently made a protein shake with milk that went bad and chugged it because I couldn't bear watching it go down the drain.
agamble
agamble
United States
2004/01/12, 10:02 PM
So by monitoring your energy level post workout you can get an idea as to the effectiveness of your post workout nutrition? Sometimes my energy level hits the floor bad, but at other times I'm pumped up. I've wondered about that.
dhurt55
dhurt55
United States
2004/01/12, 10:07 PM
Thanks for all the info...I will definitely be changing my post workout supplementation habits...as for protein powder...I have always gone with GNC's 100% Whey in chocolate....it's the best.

--------------
dhurt55
dhurt55
United States
2004/01/12, 10:08 PM
the best I have ever had of course....

--------------
bb1fit
bb1fit
United States
2004/01/12, 10:30 PM
Agamble...If your energy levels have dropped through the floor, this means one of 2 things. Either you consumed too much too fast, and you get the large insulin surge and the ineveitable blood sugar crash(and possibly some fat storage due to this), or your blood glucose levels are dropping, and you did not get enough nutrients when your body needs them.

--------------
KIXklez
KIXklez
United States
2004/01/13, 12:43 AM
Your body can only use up 10 grams of Creatine per day. The proper times to take creatine is definitely post-workout, and there is some controversy over taking it when yuo wake up in the morning before breakfast or taking it right away before you workout. Personally, I take 5 grams in the morning because my body has been sleeping for numerous hours and it needs the creatine/protein. Hope this helps.
Jac48
Jac48
United States
2004/07/24, 11:04 PM
I take Cell-Tech creatine which has dextros in it. If I take my creatine right after my workout would I also need to mix in dextros with my protein shake? If I begin drinking it after I drink down my creatine?
Damselfly
Damselfly
United States
2004/07/30, 06:32 PM
Were you referring to Da Vinci Gorumet syrups BB1? Best of all they have a ton of sugar free flavors! I have yet to try them but they are highly spoken of to put on eggwhites on a body builder site I read. Just looking has made me decide to pick out a few flavors :)
http://www.davincigourmet.com/729.html?flashdetect=YES

============
Quoting from bb1fit:

Yeah, HDT is about the only strawberry that actually doesn't taste bad. Hank, you might consider adding some flavoring to your strawberry. Like pineapple, I don't have it in front of me, but there is a company that makes flavorings with no calories and very highly concentrated that is good to add. They even have peanut butter flavor! They come in very tiny bottles, if you care, when I get home I will look at the company for you. they have a website also.

=============

--------------
Damselfly

Whoever said that sunshine brings happiness never danced in the rain. \"unknown\"
lt_bean
lt_bean
United States
2004/08/03, 01:47 PM
I have heard that creatine is hard for the liver to process, and taking it too often can lead to liver damage. Is this true?
lt_bean
lt_bean
United States
2004/08/03, 02:08 PM
Also, bb1 I wanted to thank you for all the info on post-workout meals (i.e. insulin levels and absorption of nutrients). I am trying to a) loose weight, and b) pump up, but I might be contradicting one effort with the other.

I gain muscle very easily, so when I work out more often than usual I actually end up gaining some weight at first. Based on what you were saying, this could be due to overloading my system. Right?

bb1fit said:
"...Even though our bodies can administer nutrients more effectively at this time (post workout) more so than any other time, it is still very possible to overload our body’s capacity to digest.

An over-induced digestion of the post-workout meal can be one of the leading causes of excess fat storages during a bulking stage.

Our goal is to get a steady flow of nutrients during the potent “window of opportunity” post-training. An overproduction of insulin, resulting from an overly rapid consumption of simple carbs, is the reason for a lot of the typical fat gain during a gaining phase also."

I am a novice so I don't do the shakes yet (plus I'm poor:laugh:), but I do try to eat lean sources of protein like deli turkey. Am I approching this wrong? Should I do the powders?
bb1fit
bb1fit
United States
2004/08/06, 08:42 AM
PWO is essential, and if you truly want to amplify your gains, you are probably best to do protein mixture immediately post workout. You have the "window of opportunity" at this time, a super compensation period. You have to "earn" it though, and this means working out very hard, going into a catabolic state(tearing down muscle). If you are not doing this, you will be adding fat most likely with the simple carbs.

--------------

bb1fit@freetrainers.com
dannybart
dannybart
United States
2004/08/19, 11:22 AM
Hi all i am new to the boards and had a question.

I am currently mixing Whey, Glutamine and Gatorade as my post workout shake and drinking it immediately after my workout. Is this a good combo?
pimple
pimple
United States
2004/08/27, 06:17 PM
whoa, doing a little research on the subject you have a question on does wonders... heh... thanks for all the info everyone... i've just purchased my first bottles of protein and creatine! heh... not much money to spare over here, but i figured it was aboout time i invested some quality presidents on my diet (which wasn't bad, but now is better... about as good as it gets)... heh...

i'd been seeing real good results in the past year by going without creatine and nothing but natural protein, but now i'm pretty excited about this whole thing... i can already feel the difference just by holding the bottles and stacking them on this shelf i got going in my room just for that... heh... XD

peace...

--------------
:: http://www.mvhsbreakers.com ::
pimple
pimple
United States
2004/08/29, 12:56 PM
it's best to have your shake with plain water...

============
Quoting from dannybart:

Hi all i am new to the boards and had a question.

I am currently mixing Whey, Glutamine and Gatorade as my post workout shake and drinking it immediately after my workout. Is this a good combo?
=============

--------------
:: http://www.mvhsbreakers.com ::
nutritionworks
nutritionworks
United States
2004/09/25, 11:59 PM
First of all let me say that I don't claim to be a nutrion expert by any means. Earlier this year I found a line of nutrional products that helped me lose about 30 pounds of fat in a few months. I quickly started to educate myself on supplements and have found that one thing holds true. Focusing on one supplement alone without understanding how others can assist and the exact time line to use the products can be a waste of money and lead to lack of desired results. I have been successful with the system I use which actually comes with a timeline of when to use the products in relationship to your workout schedule. I have added noticable lean muscle mass and strength in just a few months. I don't personally like to drop brand names without more information on large message boards, but feel free to contact me if you want some info.

Nurtrion Works!
2fingers
2fingers
United States
2006/01/24, 07:59 PM
bump.

This clarified the creatine/protein pwo timing in case anyone is looking for it.
lexballer13
lexballer13
United States
2006/01/31, 03:28 AM
Ok, sorry but I am still a little confused. I get the whole pwo obviously but just curious about something else within all of this. Rev you said that one should start taking a pwo 30 minutes before a workout is ended...then bb1 said creatine should be taken 20 minutes into a shake...what I am confused about is when taking the protein shake, assuming it includes carbs as well, should the creatine be taken with its own carbs and all at once 20 minutes in. This has been buggin me for a while cuz I honestly think this is a main reason why I still store some of that unwanted fat. The muscle gains are goin fine but extra stuff is still buggin me. Thanx for all the awesome info

--------------
A word to the wise is not necessary, it is the stupid ones that need advice.
bb1fit
bb1fit
United States
2006/02/01, 02:22 AM
The idea with creatine is just that it doesn't sit in a fluid for very long. This was all I was alluding to in mentioning waiting 20 minutes if you are sipping your shake. Creatine degrades fairly rapidly in a fluid.

Also, it is just fne to start your protein shake "early".

--------------
Strength and Honor!
bb1fit
bb1fit
United States
2006/02/01, 12:06 PM
Re reading your post, the creatine does not have to be taken with extra carbs. Simple carbs in your pwo shake are plenty. The reason I mentioned also about taking your creatine 20 min. into your shake is higer levels of serum insulin for uptake.

--------------
Strength and Honor!
lexballer13
lexballer13
United States
2006/02/01, 08:04 PM
awesome thanx