Group: Men's Club

Created: 2011/12/31, Members: 252, Messages: 6838

A place for men to gather and share experiences, advice and information amongst themselves.

Join group

Bigger Bi's

repeter
repeter
United States
2003/12/28, 11:00 PM
i have been workin out for about 1/2 a year now.. i have seen a little improvement in my arms visual wise.. they have gotten stronger.. at the moment i do dumbell curls, hammer curls, and barbell curls.. is there anything i'm doing wrong or i am forgetting to do?? thanks..
detox174
detox174
United States
2003/12/28, 11:40 PM
TRICEPS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!.......to make your arms bigger you need to work the triceps.....your arms are 60% tricep and 40% bicep....work out yout triceps and your biceps will get bigger garunteed.
Jdelts
Jdelts
United States
2003/12/29, 12:42 AM
Working out your triceps DOES NOT make your bi's bigger.lol I hear what you're saying DETOX, you mean working out your tri's will make your arms look bigger. You're right in that you gotta work out tri's. Repeter, DON"T OVERKILL ON YOUR BI'S...this can actually kill any growth from happening. More is not always better. Hit the the bi's from every angle...hammers, single-arm preachers, barbell, incline dumbells...

--------------
May the lift be with you.
repeter
repeter
United States
2003/12/29, 11:27 AM
thanks for the quick responses... jdelts: working on bi's and ti's every two days isnt over doing it right??

7707mutt
7707mutt
United States
2003/12/29, 11:53 AM
Yes, it is. I have found that to really cause growth of the biceps and Tri's you need to have a high level of intensity during that training. If you have the strenght to train them every 2 days you are doing a couple of things, ones is not allowing for time to recover, repair and for growth. This is a problem that all of us have gone thru. It is a case of qualtiy not quanity. Post exactly the workout you do for arms (as you do it now for the whole week.

--------------
LIFT HEAVY! BECOME STRONG, LIKE BULL!
detox174
detox174
United States
2003/12/29, 01:51 PM
(sorry about the bigger bicep part of my post lol i ment to say bigger arms guarenteed opps lol)
detox174
detox174
United States
2003/12/29, 01:52 PM
Message deleted by moderator due to unsuitable content for this board.
bb1fit
bb1fit
United States
2003/12/29, 06:36 PM
A concept that all of us much realize is the body does not care much about how we look with a shirt off, but rather to survive. The act of simply lifting weights in itself will not necessarily make a muscle grow. Extra muscle is a load on the body, and it will try to avoid this load. Bicep muscle fibers are distributed on the surface in 42% slow twitch, and 58% fast twitch. Then you have your deep fibers, which we will ignore for now. If you take a barbell or dumbbell and go through the motions of reps, you are taking most of the stress off your biceps and hitting other areas like shoulders. If you lower the weight and do controlled clean reps, you will actually work the fast twitch fibers by stimulating them more. A good rep range is 6-8. The idea is to "feel" the muscle contract, not just do reps. Getting stronger does not necessarily mean muscle growth as you are finding out. We sometimes have to put our egos aside and bodybuild. The point here is to induce overload in the biceps, with slow, controlled reps. I would suggest a rep range of 6-8 controlled reps with as heavy a weight as possible for good clean controlled reps, and follow up to hit the slow twitch fibers with a rep range of 16-25 with a light weight.

--------------
If you don't stand for something, you will fall for anything....
richardjst
richardjst
United States
2003/12/29, 08:02 PM
Also in addition to bb1fits comment i believe that there's no need in chizeling what you don't have...a theory of mine...if you have small arms don't do small movements...do regular bar curls, preacher curls, incline db curls...leave shaping for when you have them.... Also make sure you work your legs really really good...yes i said legs..when you work legs it causes a growth shock for the whole body in a sense. And besides who looks good with 20 inch guns on a pair of 15 inch saplings.

--------------
If hard work and persistence were the keys to success, most people would opt to pick the lock.~Dick
bigandrew
bigandrew
United States
2003/12/29, 09:11 PM
i have read somthing somwhere saying that there is alinear graph that matches up with the size of ur calves to ur arms.....

--------------
---andrew.......adversity causes some to break, but others to break records!
bigandrew
bigandrew
United States
2003/12/29, 09:11 PM
Message deleted by moderator due to unsuitable content for this board.
rpacheco
rpacheco
United States
2003/12/31, 12:00 PM
============
Quoting from bigandrew:

since we r on bicep dicussion and arms, my left arm is abotu 1/2 in smaller that my right, i am right handed and in cheerleading most of my stunting is done with my right, i do extra reps with my left, and i have been concentrating more to make sure i was using my left arm " equally" in the biceps moves, an di do do unilateral( one arm) lifts but it still is kinda stuck being smaller, i mean it never gets bigger but it never gets any smaller that 1/2 in like now my bicep is 18 3/4in right and 18 1/4 left, however my left arm is more" cut" lol any hting i'm not doing? do i need to post my arm workout?

=============

This is very common. My advice would be to begin working more with dumbbbells. When you work with a barbell, your stronger side will always compensate for the weaker one...hence, the size difference.

BTW, I am in the same situation.

--------------
**_Robert_**
Pain is temporary; glory is forever!
bb1fit
bb1fit
United States
2003/12/29, 10:19 PM
richardjst is right with his comment in one sense. You have to have a stone before you can chisel it. That being said, it is still not just a matter of lifting heavier weights, but of GOOD controlled lifting. Again, put your ego's aside, WORK the muscle. This is imparitive to growth, hit the most fibers possible from as many angles as possible, and feel the contraction on each rep. You will get much more out of this than just throwing up heavy weight with sloppy form.

--------------
Jdelts
Jdelts
United States
2003/12/30, 12:22 AM
Yeah, what he said.

--------------
May the lift be with you.
pimple
pimple
United States
2003/12/30, 12:46 AM
heh, let me ask my noobie question for the day... does flexing your bicepts in front of teh mirror, in any remote way, do anything to your bicepts? i usually flex my right bicept and it sort of feels weird when i flex teh left one, so i was wondering if they get firmer or something if you keep on flexing them...
thanks!
bb1fit
bb1fit
United States
2003/12/30, 10:46 AM
Yes, flexing/posing does help. Flexing intensely actually burns calories and can improve shape, separation and condition of your muscles. It also serves to get you in "tune" with the muscles, easier to isolate a muscle during a workout.

--------------
pimple
pimple
United States
2003/12/30, 01:45 PM
wow... i better start flexing the left arm then XD
thanks!
bigandrew
bigandrew
United States
2003/12/31, 11:39 AM
since we r on bicep dicussion and arms, my left arm is abotu 1/2 in smaller that my right, i am right handed and in cheerleading most of my stunting is done with my right, i do extra reps with my left, and i have been concentrating more to make sure i was using my left arm " equally" in the biceps moves, an di do do unilateral( one arm) lifts but it still is kinda stuck being smaller, i mean it never gets bigger but it never gets any smaller that 1/2 in like now my bicep is 18 3/4in right and 18 1/4 left, however my left arm is more" cut" lol any hting i'm not doing? do i need to post my arm workout?

--------------
bigandrew
bigandrew
United States
2004/01/01, 11:30 AM
i do i only do 2 excercies that involve a abrbell or pretcher curl the other 2 or 3 excercies are either one arm cable work or dumbells
here my arm work out
5 x10 barbell curls( i add 10lbs every set and strive for 10)
4x15 double bicep curls( hercules's)
pretcher curls 4x10
multi incline curls( ever set i rasie or lower the pad a lil bit and don;t rest)one arm 4x10
cable concentration curls/dumbell concentraion curls 3x15
then i pick one tricep excercise us ually skul crushers

i do the one tricep excercis on bicep day adn on tricep day i do one bicep excercise, i feel my arms especialy are my weak point btu stil this is done far apart for rest

--------------
bb1fit
bb1fit
United States
2004/01/01, 11:42 AM
On the contrary, I believe doing more "compound" exercises that include both bi's will work better. Barbell curls, preacher curls. I believe that just the opposite of what Robert said. Eventually, the weaker arm will have to compensate for the stronger one. The stronger one is already overpowering, and so the with compound movements, the weaker one will eventually begin to compensate to keep up and get stronger. In fact may even pass your stronger one because of the amount of work it has to do. Doing more dummbell work will not really benefit this problem, the weaker one will still fail too soon,it is weaker and will do less by itself. Stay with your compound movements, it will catch up. Do some isolation stuff of course to work the slow twitch fibers, but you can do cable curls for instance as heavy as you can, and work through the full range of motion with clean reps, and keeping both bi's even with little cheating.

--------------