Group: Health & Fitness over 40

Created: 2011/12/31, Members: 206, Messages: 2480

Group dedicated to men and women over the age of 40 that care about their health and want to take the fitness and nutrition down the right path.

Join group

The Tao of Big Brother

tenorsaxmandave
tenorsaxmandave
United States
2003/10/01, 04:26 PM
At 41, I still consider myself to be a student when it comes to weight training (and lots of other things, too). I have not been doing this since age 16, or 26, or even 36. Sometimes, however, it sure seems like I’ve been doing this all my life. I guess that’s kind of good and bad. I don’t regret my involvement in weight training one bit, but progress can sometimes be painfully slow. Often it is the encouragement, motivation, and support from the folks on Free Trainers, at the gym, and others, who help you make it from one workout to the next. So, when I recently had a revelation (well, more like a kick in the head), I was pretty amazed and thought I’d share my story. This may be old news to some of you, but it hit me so hard, I had to share.

There I was – cruising along with my routine. Using impeccable form. The perfect number of sets every time. The perfect number of reps in every set. Poundages increasing to near “respectable” values. Carrying myself just a little differently! (No, not “swaggering” – I’m not THAT cocky... this is da Saxman we’re talkin’ about!) And then I suddenly realized why they call it a “routine”. Because that’s what it becomes. Oh sure, you “change it up” every couple weeks or months or whatever, but the bottom line is, it easily becomes a routine. You have to work hard to keep it fresh. More importantly, you have to work hard at maintaining your intensity and focus. Otherwise, you degrade.

So, I asked a gym buddy of mine to “critique” my routine and efforts and maybe give me his analysis of why my progress seems to have stalled. Of course, he would be baffled. After all – I do everything perfectly with maximum intensity! Well, after telling me why he would only give his opinion if I asked for it, he let me have it. Bottom line – “Your intensity and drive are okay, but I have noticed that you need to work on your form if you truly want to progress.” Horror or horrors, Batman! What did he say!? Intensity just “okay”? Form “needs work”?! Man, I went from 100 to 0 in 2 seconds flat!

My buddy is a former power lifting champ who is easy-going, approachable, and obviously knows his way around the weight room. He knows from whence he speaks. So I took his assessment very seriously and yelled at him for not speaking up sooner! Friends don’t let friends drive drunk. And friends never let friends use less-than-perfect form. He has graciously created a 6-day per week training program for me. Initially, he has me using much lighter weights than I’m used to, but he has me focusing on my form like never before. And, (here’s the important part) HE IS WATCHING. No, he’s not my “training partner”. He’s not my spotter. But, HE IS WATCHING. From right next to me or from across the gym. The range of motion of EVERY REP, the deepness of EVERY SQUAT, the stretch at the bottom of stiff-legged deads, HE’S WATCHING. Everything. He’s watching. Are my elbows tucked in perfectly during skull crushers? Am I properly supinating my wrist to get that top end “pinky twist” during DB curls? Every move, every nuance... HE’S WATCHING. And he’s not holding anything back, either. I have given him carte blanche to kick my a$$ at any time if he feels I’m not following directions to the letter and demonstrating impeccable form. Un-nerving? Big Time! Motivating? Wo, you bet! And the best part – he told me that it’s actually motivating him to keep an eye on his own form. You know, practice what you preach. Win-win situation. Fitness through humiliation! (just kidding!)

So anyway, I’m three days into my new program (not a “routine” yet LOL). Results? After 3 whole days of lifting lighter weights (e.g., 235-pound squats, down from my PR 405) with Big Brother watching, every muscle in my body is sore. Not just “sore”, though. I’m talking big time SORE. I feel like I was beat with a bat. Like a freight train ran me over, backed up and ran me over again. I feel pumps like never before: a chest pump, total arm pump, leg pump, and even a back pump – a killer back pump from top to bottom-never had that before. 3 days. 3 days of really intense, Big Brother is watching, focus-like-I’ve-never-had-before training. When I sleep, I completely die. My appetite is through the roof. And my drive and motivation? Well, I’m back, ain’t I?
So I decided that I can’t use life stresses (good and bad) to control (read: “stall”) my weight training progress or dedication anymore. Through the help and support of you folks on-line, and the watchful eye I’m getting from “Big Brother” at my gym (and my nutrition expert), I’m back and I’m hungry. So, if you’re up for a challenge, find the biggest, meanest, nastiest, most knowledgeable SOB at your gym and ask him (or her LOL) to give you an honest critique. Offer to buy him a protein shake (or side of beef if he’s really big) if he points out your flaws and plays Big Brother for a week or so. Be warned, it’s humbling, but there ain’t nothin’ like that oh-my-God sore you get from a job well done in the gym.

TSMD
7707mutt
7707mutt
United States
2003/10/01, 04:58 PM
SEE this is what I have missed! Though I have to say that I always suspected that da Saxman was cheating somehow! LOL just kidding. It is a kick in the groin to realize that something that you thought was perfect is not so. At least you realized it this soon and not like me years later! Good luck!

--------------
Eat More, Drink More, and Lift Harder than you thought you could, welcome to Becoming!
tenorsaxmandave
tenorsaxmandave
United States
2003/10/01, 06:53 PM
You missed my boring ramblings? Poor Mutt! You're not well!

Now then, about my "cheating"--not really cheating, Mutt, at least not initially and certainly not intentionally. My form may not have been perfect initially, but it was much better than it has been recently. And it was through good form followed by a little well-placed cheating now and then that I was able to progress the way I did (no, I'm no expert, but I did make tons of progress!). However, I think (know) that over time, my form deteriorated, and my focus was less than optimum. Why? No Big Brother. No second set of eyes. No one to hold me accountable. Just me. That was my point. Without either a stubborn will (which I found myself having less and less of) or someone else constantly looking over my shoulder (which I didn't have THEN), it's really easy, over time, to be a little less strict, a little less focused, etc. Pretty soon, you're nothing, broken down, drooling in the gutter, penniless, gagging on fat-free cottage cheese and free protein samples from GNC, and mumbling "Muuuuutt!!! Help Meeee! I Neeeeed yoooou!!!" LOL

I'm sure some people have that "iron spirit" flowing in their blood--nothing breaks them--nothing ever causes them to deviate--not even slightly--from their impeccable form. And I hate all of you. Unfortunately, I learned, that's not me. Recently, I sometimes found it difficult to tune out some of the daily distractions of life. But, fortunately for me (here comes that silver lining), I found a crutch. A nasty, mean, "always there" crutch whom I respect and admire, and from whom I'll get my ass kicked or verbally humiliated if he see's me strayin' from the program. He said he sees "potential" in me, and THAT is big time motivation coming from someone with his background and credentials. It's like having the Free Trainers crew, a drill sargeant, and Ahhhnold as your mentor 24/7.

Ummm, what the HELL did I get myself into (again)! Maybe I should suggest a "Mental Health and Therapy" section for Free Trainers... Man am I sore! I'm getting too old for this sh!t!

TSMD
tenorsaxmandave
tenorsaxmandave
United States
2003/10/02, 01:26 PM
Day 4 and still sore. Very sore. All over. Back feels unreal.
My sadistic mentor just keeps watching and grins that evil grin.

I’m averaging between 70 and 90 minutes per workout. That’s a lot, but damn, I got this perpetual pump goin’ on. Unreal.

TSMD
azredhead57
azredhead57
United States
2003/10/02, 04:30 PM
Geez it's good to hear from you, saxman! I am printing your post to show my husband. He cringes whenever I mention form. And since I am about to change my 'routine' and am losing my workout partner, I may need to go a little lighter anyway.

--------------
~Victoria~
...There are no shortcuts to any place worth going.--Beverly Sills
tenorsaxmandave
tenorsaxmandave
United States
2003/10/02, 08:34 PM
Never too late to learn something, eh AZ! Now you realize of course that I really wasn't acting cocky or anything (just hamming it up on-line for dramatic effect!), but I really DID feel that my form was A-1 (maybe A-2 on my "down" days!). Very humbling, indeed. But very motivating at the same time. My buddy is a great guy and is really helping me out big time. I joke about it, but he really knows exactly what buttons to push and is a great motivator. Just like you guys, only he's in my face! Hopefully you can motivate hubby to at least hear you out--push the right buttons and get him to listen to ya! I'll bet he thanks you for it.

I read your other post about body-weight exercises for him. Nothing to add to your list, but my best wishes to you and him. Sounds like things may get very challenging for you guys. Good luck to you both!

TSMD
azredhead57
azredhead57
United States
2003/10/03, 05:39 PM
Thanks, saxman. Challenging? Yeah that's a good word for it...lol.

--------------
~Victoria~
...There are no shortcuts to any place worth going.--Beverly Sills