Group: Women's Club

Created: 2011/12/31, Members: 525, Messages: 10844

A place for women to gather and share experiences, advice and information amongst themselves.

Join group

What do you guys think of

Andrea75
Andrea75
United States
2003/09/03, 11:10 AM
Hello there, it's been a while since I've been on, but I have a few questions for you. A friend of mine asked if I would do Weight Watchers with her. We both want to lose no more than 15 lbs. Their points program I know has been quite effective for several people I know. Do you think it's a good idea? It teaches you proper portion control, which I could use. Help.
effalunt
effalunt
Canada
2003/09/03, 12:34 PM
I think Weight Watchers is a good program in that it offers a variety of foods and allows you to adopt a maintainable lifestyle change. The other helpful part of the program is the meetings which put you in touch with other people trying to lose weight. You support and encourage eachother. Also, remember how important a regular exercise program is to both your weight loss and healthy lifestyle goals.
Andrea75
Andrea75
United States
2003/09/04, 11:35 AM
Thanks for the input. I've been healthy and been working out for years with the exception of falling off track here and there. Just looking for a way to deal with some things in a better way and want to lose about 10lbs, nothing crazy. A friend and I are going to do it together, so just wanted to make sure the program was ok.
Ravenbeauty
Ravenbeauty
United States
2003/09/04, 02:03 PM
i have a friend at work who has joined that and has lost 30 lbs so far, she looks great and feels great! she is constantly talking about the meetings and awesome support you get. i would take a chance! Good Luck!

--------------
Bettia.... The secret of getting ahead is getting started.

azredhead57
azredhead57
United States
2003/09/04, 02:25 PM
My daughter-in-law is doing Weight Watchers and loves it. She had done it a few years ago with great results. They have always been a very supportive and informative program.

--------------
~Victoria~
...There are no shortcuts to any place worth going.--Beverly Sills
rickyshot
rickyshot
United States
2003/09/05, 02:53 PM
I am a lifetime member of WW. I lost 25 lbs and kept it off for three years now. I can't say enough good things about this program. Lots of support and the points system is an easy way to count calories. Anyone can do it. You get to choose what you want to eat. Their website is awesome too. I found out about this site from their boards. One drawback though it may be too free for you. You get to choose what you want to eat. That means you spend your pts on what you want to and a lot of people have no idea about good nutrition and eat a lot of junk low fat snacks instead of good healthy food. That decision is entirely up to you. Had to give you the pros and cons.
Andrea75
Andrea75
United States
2003/09/09, 01:43 PM
Hey there, started the program on Sunday. So far so good, but in a way I don't think 20 points a day is enough for someone who works out as much as me. I'm trying 23-25 to see how it goes. I eat pretty healthy as it is, I just mess up on the weekends quite a bit. I also have a friend who is doing this with me, so the support between both of us is great. Thanks for your support guys, I appreicate it.
Andrea75
Andrea75
United States
2003/09/18, 05:52 PM
Ok guys, I have a problem with this whole "Points" system, maybe you can help. I've been looking on the Weight Watchers web site and their message boreds are awesome. So, my first week I lost 3 lbs, which was great. The first week is usually like that. Now, i weighed in today and gained 1.2. I didn't cheat and worked out pretty hard. Maybe I'm not eating enough and am so confused by the flex points and how to apply them while lifting weights as much as I do and doing cardio. HELP!
azredhead57
azredhead57
United States
2003/09/18, 06:26 PM
That is the problem with scales. I only weigh myself once a month, if that, because my weight can be 5# different from morning to evening or day to day. That kind of stress would have me freaking out and changing what I'm doing everyday instead of waiting to see if it's working. I know that is not much help with your questions. Hopefully someone on WW will answer it for you. Hang in there though.

--------------
~Victoria~
...There are no shortcuts to any place worth going.--Beverly Sills
Deby
Deby
United States
2003/09/19, 10:55 AM
That is why I quit WW. It is a wonderful program, it really is, but I only started all of this "training" in March and was consistenly gaining weight because of the muscle I have gained (20 lbs so far). It was very discouraging because they base everything on weight and do not have a program for "heavy lifters".

--------------
Gramma
asimmer
asimmer
United States
2003/09/20, 12:13 PM
Yes, WW focuses on weight, which isn't an accurate picture of the changes occuring in your body.
If you diet and lose muscle because you are wasting al of your points on low=protein choices, you may weigh less, but you have lowered your metabolism and are actually fatter.
i have a lot of clients who used to do WW. Now they eat 5-6 small meals a day with protein and fibrous carbs and they lose fat, gain muscle, see changes. Get off the scale!!!

--------------
Challenge + Consistency = Results
Andrea75
Andrea75
United States
2003/09/22, 05:43 PM
Ladies.......I feel my clothes getting looser, so I guess I am doing well for me. I"m going to give this program a month to see what happens. I've been eating 5-6 small meals a day for years and it has always worked for me. I will not give up lifting weights because I have come so far with it. I guess we'll see what happens. I started this thing because a friend of mine asked me to go with her. She's a bit older than me and doesn't work out as much. Thanks for all your help. I was want to get down to 130-135........

I'll get there, I am 142 now.

Andrea
Andrea75
Andrea75
United States
2003/09/26, 12:21 PM
Just want to let you guys know that I am down 4 lbs.......still lifting and doing my thing, so I guess I am doing something right! YEAH!