Group: Men's Club

Created: 2011/12/31, Members: 252, Messages: 6838

A place for men to gather and share experiences, advice and information amongst themselves.

Join group

WHO Approves Global Anti-Smoking Treaty

CarbLO
CarbLO
United States
2003/05/21, 03:14 PM
The World Health Organization (WHO) on Wednesday unanimously approved a global anti-smoking treaty meant to reduce the estimated 5 million deaths caused by smoking each year.

The Framework Convention on Tobacco Control, the first global public health accord ever adopted, commits the 192 WHO member states to placing strict limits on the advertising, marketing and sale of tobacco products within five years, BBC News Online reports.

Under the treaty, health warnings -- including photos of diseased lungs -- will have to take up at least a third of the space on cigarette packs. The treaty also includes a ban on advertising in countries where such a move is legal, ingredients listings on packaging, and legal liability for manufacturers. It also promotes high tobacco taxes.

The United States and Germany -- countries with large tobacco industries -- initially opposed the treaty. But strong international pressure forced them to vote in favor of it, BBC News Online reports.

--------------
"Whoever loves Instruction loves Knowledge, But he who hates correction is stupid." Proverbs 12:1
7707mutt
7707mutt
United States
2003/05/21, 03:17 PM
Carblo why are you contintually posting these dumb blurps of useless info into forums that have nothing to do with your post? Please stop it is annoying! MODS? a little Help?

--------------
deadlifts rule!!!!!!!!!!!!!
tenorsaxmandave
tenorsaxmandave
United States
2003/05/21, 03:39 PM
Dateline: USA

The Surgeon General (SG) has announced that strictly reducing carbohydrate intake - or even getting on the low carb bandwagon (LCBW) for an extended period of time - may cause people to post unrelated, non-sequitur, and downright silly topics in FT forums.

I’m almost starting to miss (well, not really) those masturbation and “do you wear underwear” posts that have finally (thank God) trickled off.

TSMD
rev8ball
rev8ball
United States
2003/05/21, 04:26 PM
Patience, my fellow FT members. We (mods) have been doing alot and what we can, mostly behind the scenes, to control this, but it is obviously not sufficient. Further steps have been taken, and we will let you know what happens.

Thanks.

--------------
Michael
"Trample the weak; hurdle the dead!"
Carivan
Carivan
Canada
2003/05/21, 10:58 PM
Good one ,,TSMD

--------------
You can walk to anywhere you want, it only takes time.

Ivan Montreal Canada (aka SpongeBob Square Pants to some!)
sandysford
sandysford
United States
2003/05/21, 11:39 PM
Thanks REV!

--------------
I will lift my own weight someday!!!!!

THE NATURAL WAY IS THE ONLY TRUE PATH TO SUCCESS, PRIDE, JOY, HAPPINESS, LONG TERM FULFILLMENT AND SELF-ESTEEM!
dahayz
dahayz
United States
2003/05/22, 07:51 AM
Yeah, these posts are pretty useless. I think most of us here watch the news and can get news posts at a news website.
dahayz
dahayz
United States
2003/05/22, 07:52 AM
Oh, and why the heck is this posted in the male discussion forum? LOL at TSMD, good stuff.
2003/05/24, 02:28 PM
This is a typical internet marketing tactic outlined by those "get rich quick" programs that people like CarbLo join and annoy a lot of people with. Basically, these books instruct you to join online communities, post slightly relevent material in discussion forums, and leave a link for people to follow to your site so they can buy your crappy product or program. Here, CarbLo has eliminated the link she used to have, probably hoping to reduce the heat on her and still make sales through her profile. I've been involved in these stupid marketing programs, and CarbLo is going to have to realize that you have to be a lot more creative than copying strategies straight out of the books to make any money. It seems that Carblo isn't cut out for the business she is in.

--------------
OSU Law Rugby....specializing in personal injury and pain & suffering.
dahayz
dahayz
United States
2003/05/24, 06:04 PM
Wow, that is pretty darn interesting, but, like you said mzakal, it just annoys the hell out of people who are intelligent (like all of us).