Group: Health & Fitness over 40

Created: 2011/12/31, Members: 206, Messages: 2480

Group dedicated to men and women over the age of 40 that care about their health and want to take the fitness and nutrition down the right path.

Join group

Baby Steps and Monster Truck Wheels

tenorsaxmandave
tenorsaxmandave
United States
2003/05/19, 11:56 AM
Well kids, today I could feel AND SEE my quads really pumped after doing legs. “Yeah, woo, da saxman got a pump goin’ on – big deal, yawn.” Well, I’m on cloud 9 and just bursting with motivation here – motivation to the Mutt degree! Woooo...

I can always feel the pump in my quads, hams, and calves after leg day, but today I could really see some results! Took me completely by surprise, too – especially because (1) the amount of body fat I’m still carrying, and (2) today I opted for the wimpy “leg extensions” quad exercise instead of my usual squats (really busy/rough weekend – knew I couldn’t give squats 100%). So, there I was, finished with my workout, headed for the shower, passed a mirror, glanced at my legs and just said whoa, what’s up with that. Totally embarrassed that I was checking myself out (yikes – I’m a gawker!) – but fortunately nobody noticed. And to think I considered skipping the gym this morning when that alarm went off. Let that be a lesson to you all!

Ya know that “look”? I’d bet everyone has one... That ideal, self-image of your long-term goals finally realized. For me, that look just happens to include a narrow waist with sick quads that bulge out at the sides. Well, I’m nowhere near that yet (HA!), but man the old wheels are showin’ definite signs of progress. (Oh, God, I’m calling them “wheels” now!) Very cool. They were 27” about a year or so ago (when I was overly concerned with charting even my hourly progress). Call me crazy, but I would bet real cash money that my legs have actually grown since then. Maybe because I have dropped my BF% a wee bit, they just look more defined... (Double HA! I used the word “defined”!) Even if they’re physically smaller due to lower BF, I’d bet I’ve added some muscle to them, too. Bottom line: they just look bigger and damn I’m liking it. Half afraid to pull out the old measuring tape, though. :-D (It wouldn’t be a good gauge, I suppose, without actual BF stats).

Regardless, what a psychological boost, guys! I’m so psyched for tomorrow’s workout! Big grin from TSMD! There will be absolutely no living with me today or the rest of the week! <Swaggers to water cooler with exaggerated lat syndrome, winks at everyone he passes, and shoots pretend finger gun.>

TSMD
7707mutt
7707mutt
United States
2003/05/19, 12:12 PM
Nice I love that "look" it makes you feel like you are doing something finally!

--------------
deadlifts rule!!!!!!!!!!!!!
jefado
jefado
United States
2003/05/19, 12:16 PM
:o) Swaggering huh? LOL.....cool..Great to feel revved up enough to go at it again <laughs> I can picture it too.
tenorsaxmandave
tenorsaxmandave
United States
2003/05/19, 12:32 PM
Hey Jefado,

Don't you just hate when people do the ole wink and pretend finger gun thing? I know people who do this regularly! They call you names like "Davinator" or "Yo, Big Dave!", or "Da Saxman". They see a cute girl at the water cooler and say, "Hey there, Doll Face!" Too funny!

TSMD

jefado
jefado
United States
2003/05/19, 12:44 PM
LOL!! The exact reason why I chose to work out at home :o)
Well...Not really....I could probably get a good laugh out of it at least before running to hide (in order to avoid their attn)....<smile>
No, I'm not quite that cruel...Besides there's no viable place to hide in a gym :o)
kidding...just kidding.
hangclaw
hangclaw
United States
2003/05/19, 03:46 PM
Hey TSMD. What the heck is wrong with checking yourself out in the mirror? Man am I in trouble, LOL. I have seen 'results' in my legs as well, but I just assume it is more definition, rather than mass gain. And since you mention it....my shoulders now have these really cool 'lines' running through them. Damn we are good (well, ok lets just conveniently skip the whole love handle thing for now). Keep it up, 'motivator man'!

John
hangclaw
hangclaw
United States
2003/05/19, 03:54 PM
Hey TSMD. What the heck is wrong with checking yourself out in the mirror? Man am I in trouble, LOL. I have seen 'results' in my legs as well, but I just assume it is more definition, rather than mass gain. And now that you mention it....my shoulders now have these really cool 'lines' running through them. Damn we are good (well, ok lets just conveniently skip the whole love handle thing for now). Keep it up, 'Motivator Man Dave".

John
sandysford
sandysford
United States
2003/05/19, 09:49 PM
WOOOOOO WOOOOOO, don't we look goood, sorry just had a moment!!!!

--------------
I will lift my own weight someday!!!!!

THE NATURAL WAY IS THE ONLY TRUE PATH TO SUCCESS, PRIDE, JOY, HAPPINESS, LONG TERM FULFILLMENT AND SELF-ESTEEM!
tenorsaxmandave
tenorsaxmandave
United States
2003/05/20, 07:11 AM
Thanks Hangclaw and Sandysford!

Nothing at all wrong with the mirror thing, Hangclaw. I'm just in the habit of avoiding mirrors at all costs! And cool about the delts! Great job! I've read about these things called "muscle striations"! Very elusive creatures for me. Hope to find one, some day. Glad (and very impressed) you've found some!

Oh, BTW Hangclaw, you got a deal on the whole love handles thing! In fact, I think we should get rid of the negativity associated with the term love handles and affectionately refer to them as a "one pack". That way, we are one sixth of the way there! Glass is half full - know what I mean?! What motivation! "Workin' on my 2-pack now!"

Yo Sandysford, you're not teasing da Saxman, are ya! J/K! The new pic is actually about a year old and serves as "fat" motivation. If you look reeaaaaaal closely, you can see all 17 chins! I'll use that reverse motivation thing and shoot for 16 chins, then 15... Everyone will think I'm talking about pull-ups!

TSMD
sandysford
sandysford
United States
2003/05/21, 11:48 PM
Never would I ever tease any of you guys. I just posted the porky little fat girl picture of me, It keeps me on track to see it. You have to go to my profile to see it. Now I also carry my fat pics with me at all time just in case I get a urge to stop and order a DOUBLE QUATER POUNDER WITH CHEESE, EXTRA PICKLES ONIONS AND CATSUP PLEASE. oH YEAH AND A DIET COKE.

--------------
I will lift my own weight someday!!!!!

THE NATURAL WAY IS THE ONLY TRUE PATH TO SUCCESS, PRIDE, JOY, HAPPINESS, LONG TERM FULFILLMENT AND SELF-ESTEEM!
tenorsaxmandave
tenorsaxmandave
United States
2003/05/22, 07:31 AM
Funny stuff, Sandysford!

I knew this lady who used to eat chili dogs at every meal, but absolutely had to have her "TAB" 'cause it was sugar-free! Thank God I'm perfect.

Speaking of perfect (he says, beaming!), I went upstairs last night, locked the door, took out the tape, and measured my legs... 27.5! No sh!t! Up a half inch (and I know BF is lower, although I don't know exactly by how much). Now, of course I realize I must do this behind closed doors because it looks a little ridiculous rejoicing over 1/2 gains in my legs when I'm wearing pants with a 38" waist. But, damn I'll take it anyway!

Baby steps.

TSMD
tenorsaxmandave
tenorsaxmandave
United States
2003/05/22, 07:35 AM
Sandy, I would carry that picture around, too! What a change you have made! Very impressive. You look so much healthier, younger, and probably feel like a million! FT's American Idol!

TSMD