Group: Beginners to Exercise

Created: 2012/01/01, Members: 969, Messages: 18927

Share and offer advice to beginners to the fitness world!

Join group

Workout

tough_guy007
tough_guy007
Canada
2008/04/16, 11:44 AM
Hello all,

Got a quick question for you experts out there.

My goal for working out is to a) gain some weight (get from about 165 - 190 or so, over the course of a year-ish); and b) add some definition to the pot belly (yes, at 165 I had a pot belly .. go figure. I blame beer and hockey :P).

Been working out for about 5 months now and while I am very pleased with the results, they are are mixed. While I have gone up in weight to about 174 or so, the pot belly is still there. My diet doesnt consist of that much fat.

I'm on a muscle mass supplement thats something like 1000 calories, 54g of protein, not sure fat and carbs (but I believe both are appropriate amounts as compared to the others) per shake.

It was told to me that I should rotate my diet a bit. One more, muscle mass as above. The next month, a protein supplement (ie, tons of protein but only 150cal) per shake.

Is it possible to do both at the same time (ie. gain weight and pot belly definition)? Should I define first, then gain the weight? Reverse?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated folks.
ecle5c
ecle5c
United States
2008/04/16, 12:26 PM
That shake sucks. My protein shakes are 27g per scoop and like 130 calories. The rest of the calories in your shake come from fillers that you really don't need.

Stick with real food, it's your best bet. Start eating more calorically dense foods like beef, olive oil, nuts, peanut butter, whole grain pasta, etc.

You're not going to gain another 20 pounds and lose the belly at the same time in all reality. You can try it but will have much better results much quicker if you just prioritize, do one and then the other. I'd stick wtih the gaining for now, get to your desired goal and then trim down.