Group: Competitive Bodybuilding & Fitness

Created: 2012/01/01, Members: 22, Messages: 5367

Discuss the process of preparing for a competition on the sport of body building, fitness and more!

Join group

why am i not loosing weight?

carribeanchick
carribeanchick
United States
2004/02/12, 09:53 AM
I have just switched ( 10 weeks ago ) from an extremely low fat diet to the South Beach diet. I have increased my cardio to where I am doing 5-6 days and weight lifting and toning on the other days. I do atleast a core workout every day which consists of pushups, crunches, hindu squats, planks, tablemakers and pressups. The problem is that I know muscles weighs more than fat (I have slimmed some in size) but I can't seem to loose any weight. I've switched cardio from just jogging to doing intervals, elipticals and step to vary muscles used and my intensity. Is there any other suggestions that I might try to help the scale budge.
asimmer
asimmer
United States
2004/02/12, 10:49 AM
How long have you been working out (months years, weeks?)
How much fat do you have to lose?
Quite often women play a swapping game for a while, adding muscle and losing fat, which doesn't register as weight loss on the sclae, but like you said, is slimming.
Throw away the scale and focus on how tight your body is getting. If your clothes are getting looser and you look better, that is what matters.
If you are underestimating the amount of calories that you need, your body will hold on to fat because it thinks there is a famine. Make sure you are getting enough calories to support your basal metabolic needs, while creating a deficit with exercise.
Good luck!

--------------
"To be able to go to the gym and train hard is a joy and a privelege, even though the hard work necessitates driving yourself through considerable discomfort. Savor this privelege and blessing, and revel in it."
Stuart McRobert, Beyond Brawn
2004/02/24, 03:37 PM
i AGREE WITH ASIMMER. THE CLOTHING LINE TELLS THE DIFFERENCE NO THE SCALE. :big_smile:
mercurio7899
mercurio7899
United States
2004/02/26, 02:54 PM
It's a good idea to be doing both cardio and weights, but the problem is that you are loosing weight with cardio, and gaining muscle with weight. If I want to loose a couple of pound, I get in a low fat/calorie diet, and do nothing but cardio for a month, six days a week for 45min to 1 hour, and very little weights. Drink water only, and avoid later night snaks.
Ogun
Ogun
United States
2004/02/27, 03:22 PM
Losing, folks. It's spelled losing. Honor thy language :laugh:

--------------
--There are no versions of the truth.--
Jeff Goldblum, Jurassic Park II
asimmer
asimmer
United States
2004/02/28, 11:21 AM
Yeah, and lose muscle mass and slow down your metabolism in the long run.
Muscle burns calories and makes you more functionally strong, not to mention increasing bone density and many other benefits.
Why worry about what you weigh if you are smaller where it counts. At 145 lbs I fit into smaller clothes than I wore in high school at 130.
I really wish everyone would get off the scale and exercise for their health instead of exercising to 'weigh less' .
And Ogun, there is no reason to correct people's grammar, sometimes it is a typo and sometimes it is just not knowing, but the general idea is usually conveyed and we are not being graded on our posts.

--------------
"To be able to go to the gym and train hard is a joy and a privelege, even though the hard work necessitates driving yourself through considerable discomfort. Savor this privelege and blessing, and revel in it."
Stuart McRobert, Beyond Brawn
timmstar
timmstar
Australia
2004/05/02, 02:08 AM
yup cheers to asimmer