Group: Experienced Exercise

Created: 2012/01/01, Members: 50, Messages: 19484

For intermediate and advanced individuals. Share and learn how to take your fitness to the next level!

Join group

When should I take Protein?

arobles
arobles
United States
2002/05/17, 10:27 AM
I understand that the best time to do cardio is after my workout (if I did it before my workout I wouldn't have enough energy to do my workout anyway).
I also understand that I should eat/drink my protein within 30 minutes of my workout (some say within 10 minutes).
The thing I understand the most is if I take my protein right after my workout, then I will lose it after my cardio.
Any suggestions? When should I take protein? How long can I wait after working out to take protein for best results?
rpacheco
rpacheco
United States
2002/05/17, 10:31 AM
Welcome to ft!

How long does your aerobic session (after weight training) usually last? If not too long (less than 45 minutes), you can take your protein immediately after your cardio session. If it's longer than 45 minutes, you should take your protein after weight training, wait about 1-2 hours, then begin your cardio session. You want to do your cardio session on an empty stomach so that your body uses stored fat as it's fuel source. Granted your body is not going to get much from your protein drink, you want to make sure your body digests fully before starting your session.

Hope this helps...

--------------
**_Robert_**
Pain is temporary; glory is forever!
qualters
qualters
United States
2002/05/17, 12:02 PM
I would also suggest consuming some protein prior to going to sleep at night
Philia2
Philia2
France
2002/05/18, 01:42 AM
Another thing you could do is to take your protein shake (mixed with water!) before your work out. The body needs around an hour to absorb it so when your muscles really need the protein, you already got it.
Now straight after your weight training, take some glutamine and then do your cardio.
After the work out session, wait for around an hour and get a good meal.

What are you looking for anyway? Big muscles or loosing fat?

Please fill out your profile.

--------------
- Nina :o) La vie est toujours aussi belle.....
arobles
arobles
United States
2002/05/20, 06:30 PM
I appreciate the help. I'll try some of the tips that are suggested.
I'm trying to get rid of some fat. I've gained some weight recently (mostly muscle mass) but have gained some fat in the process that I'm trying to get rid of.
Thanks