Group: Health Supplements

Created: 2012/01/01, Members: 101, Messages: 16612

Supplements can be a great aid with your health and fitness goals. Combined with the proper exercise and nutritional plan they can be quite effective.

Join group

What products aren't overhyped?

tenor
tenor
United States
2007/11/25, 02:48 PM
It seems to me that many responses to questions about supplements involve some variation on the message, "they're overhyped."
So, I am interested to know what products are actually recommended. What products, besides protein and creatine, actually stay in the ball park of what they cliam they can do? (I'm hoping I don't get the pessimistic answer, "none", because I wouldn't believe it. There have been products hyped on this board by moderators, who I trust are well informed, so I believe that there must me some.)
bb1fit
bb1fit
United States
2007/11/25, 06:19 PM
None to speak of. Most all products that do have an 'effect' do so due to matters other than the product themselves. By this I mean your 'great workout' or whatever is normally due to other factors, like a good day, good diet, system humming along, etc. What folks tend to do and how the marketing hype starts is one person will take the supplement, have a great day in the gym, and they are 'hooked', spouting its greatness. Marketing companies bank and thrive on this to promote their products.

--------------
Baseball is the only field of endeavor where a man can succeed three times out of ten and be considered a good performer

immovablestone
immovablestone
United States
2007/11/26, 08:12 AM
Well said, no better response could have been compiled.

--------------
DEFENSE! - Bas Rutten
justind123
justind123
Netherlands
2007/11/27, 05:15 AM
For most conventional supplements I would agree.
But don't forget about a good multivitamin. I'd say vitamins are underhyped.
tenor
tenor
United States
2007/11/29, 12:48 PM
So, something like 7 keto, for example, which has been recommended by many on this board, doesn't really do anything, it just seems as if it does because people who take it are experiencing the byproduct of good workouts and are contributing it to the product? (asking because my supply is about to run out)
bb1fit
bb1fit
United States
2007/11/29, 06:16 PM
Most any of those products, 7 Keto included are so subtle in their 'benefits' that not much is noticed unless you are really lean to begin with and trying to get to competition level bodyfats. These may indeed have a use at this time, but to notice a fat loss if you have 'plenty of fat' to lose, you will certainly be disapointed to say the least. Diet is what will do it. Notice that folks who have had 'good' results with these products are on competition style diets, or just dieting hard....in other words, the diet is the main catalyst, not the product.

--------------
Baseball is the only field of endeavor where a man can succeed three times out of ten and be considered a good performer

bb1fit
bb1fit
United States
2007/11/30, 03:17 PM
An example of using 'hype' as I mentioned previously. Think back to a time you had a meal pre workout, say a steak, or it could be anything. Went into the gym, and had a whoppper workout! What do you think immediately??? I am going to have this pre workout every workout!! And the hype of that meal pre workout begins. :big_smile:

--------------