Group: Beginners to Exercise

Created: 2012/01/01, Members: 968, Messages: 18927

Share and offer advice to beginners to the fitness world!

Join group

What are some good exercises to start out with

KaitlynR
KaitlynR
United States
2015/01/08, 07:22 PM
Sometimes i go to the gym and what i get on first is the bike i just want to know if thats the proper thing to do first i have no training or knowledge of losing weight and i need help
BeauBody38
BeauBody38
United States
2015/01/10, 07:53 PM
Yes, any form of cardio exercises are a good start.
KaitlynR
KaitlynR
United States
2015/01/13, 10:37 PM
what if i want to lose weight in my stomach area what should i do
BeauBody38
BeauBody38
United States
2015/01/13, 10:52 PM
One of the slightly dissapointing things about excercising is that you can not choose which area specifically you want to lose weight in. "Spot training" as they call it, which is doing repeated sit ups will only build muscle under the layer of fat. The only way to lose fat is to do aerobic excerise and maintain a healthy diet. Making sure you burn more calories then you consume is key in losing weight. Even though you can't control where you lose the fat, you -will- lose fat eventually from that area if you continue with your workout plan and healthy eating. One way to lose a couple pounds of fat is to make a habit of drinking plenty of water. If you keep yourself hydrated you will shed a couple pounds in water weight, however if you do not continue to drink plenty of water the pounds will return. I wish you the best of luck!
bb1fit
bb1fit
United States
2016/03/05, 03:47 PM
It would be great if I could add some special tip to you. There is no special supplement, no special diet plan, etc. that can 'target' fat loss. Unfortunately, one does not have a great deal of control over where the lost fat comes from.

I would say the rate at which fat is lost from various parts of your body is more than likely determined by that 'X' factor as I like to refer to it, your genetics. So,  you will in many cases notice fat loss in places where you don't want it first. This could be your face (me for instance), arms, etc., long before you notice anything in your stomach area, such as midsection or 'love handles'. 

So, really the only thing realistically to do, develope a plan, be strict and follow it through. It is a difficult task, no sugar coating here. Work hard, be patient, and steady. You will see results.
Sidume
Sidume
United States
2016/03/29, 09:29 AM
What to do first will depend on what your goals are.  A few minutes of cardio is good for a warm up, but if you are going to hit the weights to build a muscle foundation it's a bad idea to get on the bike for 45 minutes then do some weights.  Warm up, but do the most important goals first.  

If your goal is weight loss, I would advise on warming up for 5 minutes first.  After that, do some weight bearing exercises - starting with the largest muscles first (legs, back, chest) and do some compound exercises (like squats, deadlifts, pull-ups, bench press).  Then move to the smaller muscle areas (arms, shoulders, traps, calves abs) and isolation exercises.  If your gym has a circuit of machines they will probably already be set up in this order.

After working with weights for about 40 minutes, move to cardio and do some interval training.  Get on the machine of your choice.  Warm up for about 5 minutes, then go to intervals of working for 30 seconds VERY hard, then moderately for two minutes.  Repeat for 6 cycles (15 minutes).  If your are not pooped at the end of this you are not working hard enough.  Each week reduce the recovery time by 15 seconds and add 1 cycle (Week 1 - 30 sec hard, two minues light, 6 times.  Week 2 - 30 secs hard, 1:45 light, 7 times, Week 3 - 30 sec hard, 90 secs light, 8 times, Etc.  When you get to easy being 30 seconds, just add cycles.

So long as your diet is in check, this should help.
pvanessaw
pvanessaw
United States
2016/08/02, 12:29 PM
Hello! I am new to this forum and if you're looking for personal training assistance and/or nutrition coaching, I offer certified online coaching for both areas of wellness and would love to help you reach your goals together, whether it's fat loss, muscle gain, or just to get into shape for your health. If you're interested in working together, please feel free to contact me (Paige) at walte497@d.umn.edu to get started. I look forward to hearing from you! :) I also have a blog/website that you can check out if you want to get to know more about me and my background- www.walte497.wix.com/paige