Group: Beginners to Exercise

Created: 2012/01/01, Members: 968, Messages: 18927

Share and offer advice to beginners to the fitness world!

Join group

Watching what I eat? Really??

Brookewithan3
Brookewithan3
United States
2010/01/12, 09:48 AM
I am new. I was reading some of the other topics and noticed some advice mentioned that not only exercise but watching ones diet is important when working stomach?

I eat a lot. I am not overweight, never have been, I love food, and I am always hungry so I eat. I have had three children so I attribute the flab on my tummy to them, LOL.

Is diet really that important? I have no willpower.
:(

I am also trying to tone my arms, does my diet effect that as well?:surprised:

--------------
Brooke

~Everything will be ok in the end, if it\\'s not ok, it\\'s not the end!
Carivan
Carivan
Canada
2010/01/12, 11:50 AM
Think about it. Is diet important?

--------------
Patience, persistence and perspiration make an unbeatable combination for success.

Ivan (GO HABS GO!)

Montreal Canada (City of Festivals)
bb1fit
bb1fit
United States
2010/01/13, 08:46 PM
This is an excellent topic that needs to be addressed to literally thousands of folks due to media blitz...etc.

Media to 'sell' any and all exercise products will have you believe that if you simply do thier exercise, you will have abs like some model they show in the add.

Common sense should prevail here....even on your most physical/strenuous workout, that is going 'balls to the wall', you may burn 500 calories give or take. And most of your workouts are nowhere near this.

Now think about your 'average' meal, it easily meets or exeeds that. Even snacks, a Snickers bar for instance, think you will have just one 2 oz. bar...271 calories. Get the picture here?

Now, exercise will indeed make you healthier. And you may even lose a bit of weight in the beginning, this will be if you do not increase your intake of calories in any way, but add exercise. However, when most add exercise they normally raise their calories due to extra exhertion of energy.

Anyway, you see the picture here. Without a change in diet (reduction of calories), no exercise alone will result in any loss of weight other than the initial loss if and only then if no extra calories are introduced in any form.

See how abs cannot be obtained from any exercise alone as the commercials would have you believe?

Diet is important!

A beginner should not start a diet immediately undertaking trying to lose weight. Exercise should be inititated to start the 'ball rolling'. This will result in a feeling of better overall well being, and this should be enough to get one to 'begin' dieting to make visual bodily improvements.

Begin the diet by slowly dropping one or two bad things you eat or drink, replacing them with more healthy and less calorically dense products. (cutting too many things too fast will result in the deprived feeling once the initial adrenaline of gettting in shape wears off).

Results should feed upon themselves, and drive one to do even beter.

In other words, ease into things. Those who go hog wild with either exercise regimens that cannot be sustained as they are too rigorous or diets that are too restrictive are setting themselves up for failure.

Guess I went on a bit, but just trying to show and make a point to help folks.

--------------
Baseball is the only field of endeavor where a man can succeed three times out of ten and be considered a good performer

lillylove08
lillylove08
United States
2010/01/13, 10:08 PM
I think that both diet & exercise is needed to reach the goal of weightloss. Since your not looking to lose weight then no diet isn't something you should worry about. That's my opinion anyways.

--------------
It can only get better from here, right ?
Carivan
Carivan
Canada
2010/01/13, 10:53 PM
The word "diet" also gets misinterpreted. Most folks hearthe word and right away think it means eat less to lose weight.. Wrong, If you google the word, all kinds of fad diets come up.
But look at the true definition from Wikipedia which makes sense:

"the sum of the food consumed by an organism or group."

So, continue to eat a healthy diet for whatever condition or lifestyle you choose to live!

--------------
Patience, persistence and perspiration make an unbeatable combination for success.

Ivan (GO HABS GO!)

Montreal Canada (City of Festivals)
bb1fit
bb1fit
United States
2010/01/14, 11:54 AM
Exercise is not needed for weight loss. Exercise will result in better overall health, and unless morbidly obese the very best thing one can do for themselves.

You do not have to look like a model to be in good health. This has been proven many times over. You can be healthy for the weight you are.

If you are not obese or have medical problems stemming from too much fat, then you need not diet. Dieting then becomes for purely asthetics in this case.

Diet in its true meaning is simply what you consume in a day. Each of us has a diet we do, it is our daily intake.

American culture has taken this word out of context and media has turned it to mean to lose weight. It has become synonomous, kind of like coke and soda, xerox and copying, etc.

Anyway, get 'healthy' first and foremost. Then my point in the post above was simply don't bite off more than you can chew, as this will lead to failure......and that results can feed on themselves, lead to wanting more or a different type of result, where your next endeavor may result in diet (reducing calories) to asthetically improve.

Nothing like success to motivate.:big_smile:

--------------
Baseball is the only field of endeavor where a man can succeed three times out of ten and be considered a good performer