Group: Injuries & Rehabilitation

Created: 2012/01/01, Members: 54, Messages: 4465

Dealing with injuries and learning how to avoid them is extremely important!

Join group

Upper Pec/Neck strain

doelso
doelso
United States
2002/04/09, 02:51 PM
My problem sounds similar to the one described by workingoutgirl. I was doing Flat Bench Flys when it felt like something went "twang" in my neck/upper pec area (on or just below the center of my collar bone) - I think I remember a moment of poor form. I decided at that point I would skip the rest of my chest workout even though it really didn't hurt. It was mildly sore for a day or so but I didn't think much about it. This week I decided I would start working chest again. I started with Barbell bench press and I could definitely "feel" that things were not exactly normal but I wouldn't exactly say that it hurt. I backed off the poundage a little but still did my normal chest workout. Am I doing more damage by continuing to work this area? Can I work this area with lighter weights without causing the trouble to persist? It never "really" hurt - but is quite unconfortable under any kind of strain (in fact during the day I hardly notice it). I thought laying off for a week would be enough but it is still bothering me when I push any weight.
fireloard
fireloard
United States
2002/04/09, 03:00 PM
I think I did the same thing to my shoulder once.. I did too much and a sharp pain shot down it and after that it hurt for a few weeks.. If you hurt an area you probably want to stay off it for a little while. Like my shoulder.. it felt fine if I was going through a normal day but if I lifted any weights with it 2 weeks after I hurt it then the sharp pains would return... You could probably use some light weights but other than that i'd stay off it..
rpacheco
rpacheco
United States
2002/04/09, 03:02 PM
The form could be your answer. Are you breaking the 90 degree plane when you lower the weight to your chest? You could substitute the dumbbells for the barbell so that you are not quite stretching the area. Don't let the barbell touch your chest when it comes down. Lighten the load if you have to. If you feel pain, stop and go see your doc. You may have just mildly overstretched it at this point. But, don't take a chance if you don't have to...

Good luck!

--------------
**_Robert_**
Philia2
Philia2
France
2002/04/10, 03:11 AM
It doesn't hurt when you touch it? Then ask politely Mrs doelso to give you a massage.

If it hurts when touching it, put some ice on it at least 2-3 times a day.

Rest some days, but if it continues then it'll be a good idea to see the doc.

--------------
- Nina :o) La vie est toujours aussi belle.....
doelso
doelso
United States
2002/04/10, 09:42 AM
Wish I could but there is no Mrs Doelso - flying solo reciently ;). Yes, if I push on it it is mildly sore. I guess I'm not sure what the difference between a muscle "pull" and muscle "strain" is and if there are different remedies to relieve one -vs- the other. I know the "rice" method and did spend a little time with a frozen bag of peas on the area but I'm not sure it helped that much (maybe it did). I guess that the rest part of "rice" will may be what I really need for that muscle - I just hate laying off! Thanks everyone!

It doesn't hurt when you touch it? Then ask politely Mrs doelso to give you a massage.

If it hurts when touching it, put some ice on it at least 2-3 times a day.

Rest some days, but if it continues then it'll be a good idea to see the doc.

=============
Philia2
Philia2
France
2002/04/10, 02:10 PM
We only got one body Doelso, so whatever you decide to do, stay careful.

Please keep us posted.

--------------
- Nina :o) La vie est toujours aussi belle.....