Group: New Members Greet & Meet - Introduce yourself

Created: 2011/12/31, Members: 1537, Messages: 27037

Officially introduce yourself to the community by sharing your goals, obstacles or accomplishments. Don't be shy.. we're all here for the same reason. The more support we share the easier it will be to reach our goals!

Join group

Trying to gain muscle mass!!

casio
casio
United States
2002/04/27, 10:00 PM
Hello! Wanted to ask any of you out there who are trying to gaing muscle mass such as my self, what would be a great source of complex carbohydrates? As well as a great source of protein?
I take meal replacement shakes three times a day, but those get to be very expensive. Another question...
If I am not working out, during rest days, should I be consuming large amounts of protein and or cabs???
Lumina20
Lumina20
United States
2002/04/27, 10:14 PM
I can answer at least one of your questions, because I see it asked on here so often--you should consume just as many proteins on rest days as on training days.
fireloard
fireloard
United States
2002/04/27, 10:19 PM
I usually have oatmeal before I workout.. I think thats a good source for complex carbs.. has a low amount of fat in it 0 cholestoral.. and a fair amount of protien.. throw it in some milk and you have even more protien and carbs for your workout.. though make sure your leaving enough for your other meals so you don't end up going over your limits in a day... some meats like chicken breasts and tuna might help for your protien.. i'm not too good with diets.. i think ltorsi and philla probably have more exp answering these questions...
Philia2
Philia2
France
2002/04/28, 02:56 AM
Oats, milk, banana, egg whites all mixed together give a niiiice weight gainer (and pre or post work out meal) AND a lot less expensive than your shakes.

This is just a suggestion.
Another one is that you fill out your profile so we'll be able to guide you better.

(Also if wanting to loose weight then eat less carbs on your rest days but keep the same amount of proteins)

--------------
- Nina :o) La vie est toujours aussi belle.....
rpacheco
rpacheco
United States
2002/04/29, 10:21 AM
Welcome to ft! Yes, please fill out your profile and tell us more about yourself.

--------------
**_Robert_**
dutchpower
dutchpower
Netherlands
2002/05/01, 10:18 AM
First of all...welcome. I've been doing weight training to gain muscle mass for about 4 months now. I don't use any kind of supplements, and I have made some good gains. The way I increase the percentage of proteins in my meals is by just drinking a lot of milk, and eate some cheese with it...good luck!

--------------
*If You Value Your Life As Much As I Value My Bike, Don't Fuck With It*
cherrykizzer
cherrykizzer
United States
2002/05/02, 10:01 AM

============
Quoting from casio:

Hello! Wanted to ask any of you out there who are trying to gaing muscle mass such as my self, what would be a great source of complex carbohydrates? As well as a great source of protein?
I take meal replacement shakes three times a day, but those get to be very expensive. Another question...
If I am not working out, during rest days, should I be consuming large amounts of protein and or cabs???
=============

Just another little quick tip that might help is to eat a good breakfast. to me that is a pick me up throughout the day. It begins the day right and gets me in the eating mood throughout the day. Then i eat as much hamburger meat,tuna, and chicken as i can.
dunlap
dunlap
United States
2002/05/03, 09:17 PM
I AM NEW BUT THE FIRST THING THAT I LEARNED IS THAT YOU HAVE TO EAT IF YOU DON'T YOU WILL NEVER GET BIG. YOU HAVE TO GIVE YOUR BODY THE ENERGY AND THE PROTEIN TO BUILD NEW MUSCLE. FOR CARBS TRY BROWN RICE IN THE PLACE OF WHITE IT'S LESS LIKELY TO BE STORED AS FAT AND ALSO TRY HIGH GRAINS AND MULTI GRAINS IN YOUR DIET. ONE MORE THING THE SHAKE THAT PHILIA TOLD YOU ABOUT WORKS VERY GOOD.

--------------
NO PAIN NO GAIN!!
THE HULK
ischjli
ischjli
United States
2002/05/14, 01:42 PM
Philia or Dunlap....

How does one prepare the shake mentioned above containing egg whites, oats, milk, and bananas? Do you cook the eggs and oats first then blend the ingredients? Sounds great.

Also, I have a question about Slim Fast. I have found that it is extremely cheap as a chaser for a meal, several times a day, as opposed to using a weight gainer. It has 40 carbs per can, 10 grams of protein, and 3 grams of fat, with 220 calories. I dring 4 a day. Wal Mart sells them for under $5 a 6 pack. I am curious if anyone has anything negative to add about Slim Fast shakes, and using them in this fashion, because it seems too good to be true.

Isch
Boddhisattvha
Boddhisattvha
United States
2002/05/14, 02:00 PM
Umm the only thing I can say is that I tried to use them as a supplement during a mass program. I replaced breakfast and lunch with them. Don't do that. I didn't really think about adding them on the way you are, because whey shakes contain more protein than 10. That is a pretty minimal amount of protein. Here Slimfast is about 7$ for a six pack, which the way your using them lasts 1 1/2 days, whereas a weight gainer is 30$ and will save you money in the long run the way you're going.

--------------
And my soul must be iron, because my fear is naked. I'm naked and fearless.
ischjli
ischjli
United States
2002/05/14, 02:27 PM
Good points. The prices may be a little closer than I calculated, but SF is pretty convenient too. I actually found while out shopping that I couldn't come close in price with a weight gainer, if following the label (serving size), to the slim fast. I drink 3-4 SF's a day, so two 6 packs over 3 days ($4.86 per 6-pack). I use them only for the calories and carbs. I drink one/two with an already high protein/carb meal and usually supplement with 2-3 whey protein shakes during the day as well. I am interested in this solely from a WEIGHT GAIN/COST perspective. What gainers do you use? I checked out GNC and Wal Mart while comparing prices. The closest gainers I found are on the net, Kaizen and Labrada products (for price and servings).
skinnyguy
skinnyguy
United States
2002/05/14, 02:57 PM
Hey casio,
Try lowfat cottage cheese. 1/2 cup = 14g protien, 5carbs. I eat about 2 cups a day, but you may want to blend or mix it with something else because it might make you gag lol. Got Milk? <its good too
good luck

--------------
Vaya con Dios... Keith