Group: Experienced Exercise

Created: 2012/01/01, Members: 50, Messages: 19484

For intermediate and advanced individuals. Share and learn how to take your fitness to the next level!

Join group

Trap blasting

Sweeny
Sweeny
United States
2001/12/02, 10:35 PM
Traps are one of my weak areas and I have done many things trying to change that. I have tried to go to exhaustion every shoulder workout, but I just cannot seem to get the results I want. Anybody have any tips?
jbennett
jbennett
United States
2001/12/03, 08:21 PM
Exercises for your traps should be the last thing you're working on your shoulder days (after millitary, lateral raises, etc). From my experience, training your traps is similar to training your calves: they respond best to higher reps of heavy weight. I don't have access to heavy dumbells, so I obviously have to use the bar. I usually load on about 255 for my last two sets of shrugs. I'm up to doing 20 reps of that now, so its time to increase the poundage. You can also mix it up a bit by doing behind-the-back shrugs. You use the same technique as regular shrugs, but you grip the bar behind your back. Good luck!!
getbignow
getbignow
United States
2001/12/11, 12:28 PM
I agree with the last post, make sure it is your last work out, you should do heavey but not to heavey cause you can pinch a nerve in your neak and trust me you dont want that to happen. I myself do 315*30 405*20 495*10 and back to 225 and see how many i can do. You will need a weight belt, to support your back, and strong legs to help you lift the weight up, you dont want you back to do it. The way i do this lift with heavey weight is get set up when you walk up to the bar your hands should be 3-4" higher then the bar, if you have straps it might help, get your grip, and place your legs under the bar, as if you well getting ready to squat. With you legs and calve and back, lift the weight up keeping you back stright, then just shrug up and down, dont do the role you can hurt your self real bad, do this you will get results you want. Eamil me if you have any question, badassis300@yahoo.com

BillK
BillK
United States
2001/12/12, 01:06 PM
I agree also, Make sure they are performed last. Try doing shurgs behind the back using a barbell for one set and then imediatly after completing do shurgs to the front. This will give you a great burn and will promote growth.

~billk~
MonStar
MonStar
United States
2001/12/20, 12:41 AM
My traps are my best bodypart. They actually grow unproportional to everything else on my body. Most people would say barbell shrugs, but i personally prefer dumbells. Perform the movement very slowly, pausing at the top, then lower slowly. Just to switch up, you might want to start doing traps with back, after you deadlift. Like they said though, make sure its the last thing you work that day.
RavenHLB2
RavenHLB2
United States
2002/01/15, 05:03 AM
bend over like a bent over row, but holding dumbells infront of body, palms facing each other , rotate dumbells as you bring the dumbells up, making a L from shoulder to hand, trying to touch shoulder blades together, pause & squeeze. You'll really feel it. Sorry about the description best I could give.